Chevy Express AWD build...ghetto blaster to dirt road master

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
That's awesome Andrew! :coffeedrink:

Quick question on a little detail: Did the wax paper work as intended? It's the first time I hear of using wax paper to un-mold foam and FG.

rex_1_mn

Observer
I would really like to see a few more pictures of that rear bench/bed. I like it. Will probably steal the base design

WVI

Adventurer
Outstanding!
I've seen aluminum foil used back holes that were glasses over, And I've used it for bondo/resin/hardener mix. In both case the aluminum peeled off as had done with wax paper.
Is that going to give you enough room to stand?

Andrews11

I used some green Bondo fiberglass to fill in the low areas and shape it close enough. The bondo fiberglass does not really smooth out perfectly since there are little hairs/fibers mixed in so after sanding I decided to use some normal Bondo to get it nice and smooth. I think all in all its came out pretty good. Put it up on the roof and trimmed up some extra parts and it fits pretty snug.

IMG_7374.jpg

After putting on primer I noticed some pits and ridges in the fiberglass that weren't noticeable with the green color. So I sanded some more and primed again. Here is a pic after the first layer of top coat after primed. I'm pretty happy with the results being my first time ever laying fiberglass. Being really critical its not 100% perfectly even on the new fiberglass as far as true flatness, but its on the roof and from 5' it looks great. Fiberglass is an art for sure.

IMG_7382.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

Andrews11

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I made some artificial rain gutters to mount a pair of roof racks I scored off Craigslist. I was just going to buy a 4 pack, but they were $80ish for L shaped brackets. I had some square tube laying around so I cut it in half long way then welded on a tab to make a rain gutter. Couple bolts to buy and then maybe a coat of black bedliner I had laying around to finish and it should do just fine.

IMG_7381.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

Andrews11

Finally have the exterior of the pop top completed. I got a new rubber seal from the bus depot, I was able to buy it by the foot so that I could get a continuous seal instead of the 2 piece set that is sold for the pop top part and separate luggage rack found on the westfalia. The seal fit pretty well over the ribbed section where it needs to match the roof line, took a little convincing to get on. Also added a fantastic fan for better ventilation than just the vent hatch that was on the westfalia pop top. The fan was not the exact size of the opening so it had to be cut out a little larger to get it in. Also needed to add a good amount of calking since the roof recesses on the sides of the vent and needed to fill the larger voids. Next is replacing the headliner inside the top, mount my new canvas, attach the lift mechanisms, then its time to install on the van.

IMG_7397.jpg

IMG_7398.jpg

IMG_7396.jpg

Choff

Adventurer
Wow !!! great job, Now comes the hard part -cutting the roof, not so hard , just hard on the nerves !!

Andrews11

Pop top is mounted. Very happy how well its fits. Still need to mount the the canvas to the van roof, but its starting to take shape. It was a little tricky figuring out how to mount the hinges to support the top since the sheet metal roof is about the thickness of a beer can. I had to get a little creative to avoid mounting directly to the sheet metal for that reason, still a work in progress.

IMG_7529.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

Roamin' Chariot

So there is another nut in WA doing the same crazy thing as me?

Here's my Westfalia top on a AWD Savana ... I call it Savanagon. You're looks great.

Savanagon.jpg

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles