Chevy Express AWD build...ghetto blaster to dirt road master

TheVagabondMBA

Observer
Pop top is mounted. Very happy how well its fits. Still need to mount the the canvas to the van roof, but its starting to take shape. It was a little tricky figuring out how to mount the hinges to support the top since the sheet metal roof is about the thickness of a beer can. I had to get a little creative to avoid mounting directly to the sheet metal for that reason, still a work in progress.

View attachment 434556

Very nice!!

CherryBomb

What year is your van? I would agree with standing room. I use mine for same as you, skiing (I'm down by Mammoth in CA) USFS dirt roads and Baja/ desert trips. After 3 weeks in Baja with the family I could really see the benefit for being able to fully stand up, not to mention when prepping for a pow day!

Andrews11

looks awesome. How did you mount the rear hinges? the sheet metal is pretty weak and the thicker frame does not leave much space to work with in-between.

Andrews11

Finally made some serious progress as I am trying to get a late season ski trip in with the van. I ended up welding some 2x2 angle iron around the cutout and then bolted that to the van frame where the reinforcements were cut off. For the front lift H bar I ended up cutting through the sheet metal exterior and mounted it to the thicker metal about and inch below which was much stronger. For the rear hinges I didn't trust the thin sheet metal especially in windy conditions and with little space I had to geta little creative. I decided to use a 1/4" plate behind the exterior sheet metal to drill and bolt tough to reinforce, then I welded supports from the 1/4" metal plate to the thicker frame to reinforce even more. I still don't like how the hinge base does not line up perfectly well with the roof lines and can't sit flush with the roof, which is unavoidable and with the 1/4" backing plate should be good, but I think ill eventually add a temporary support brace in the inside when it is really windy just so I sleep a little better at night. I also decided to completely redo the interior to make best use of the new space so I just gutted it and started from scratch.

IMG_7563.jpg

IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7581.jpg

Andrews11

Built cabinets with 3/4" plywood, used a vinyl type sheeting for the exterior and found some nice black rubber edging to give a nice finished look around the edges. I tried to maximize space this time and ease of accessing below the bed so I figures plastic totes that can slide out are cheap and convenient. Last time around I had hinges on the bed top to lift and get below the bed, but that became a PITA even time you needed something. I plan to use some slider doors below the bed to just slide the totes out. Same idea in the rear. I also added a sink and propane stove so I could cook inside. After starting to build the cabinet I realized most storage would be lost under the sink for the water storage so I figured it would be better to mount in the rear, access easy though the back door and run a water line back to the front. I also just received my webasto heater so ill be installing that and hopefully finishing everything in a week so I can hit the road.

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7672.jpg

IMG_7755.jpg

Andrews11

Finally finished up the interior. Got the webasto heater set up and everything functions properly. Few pics of the interior and first trip up at Mt. Bachelor Oregon.

IMG_7769.jpgIMG_7757.jpg
IMG_7760.jpg
IMG_7791.jpg

Roamin' Chariot

looks awesome. How did you mount the rear hinges? the sheet metal is pretty weak and the thicker frame does not leave much space to work with in-between.

Andrew11 ... you're rig is looking good. I am loving my "Savanagon" for travel and camping. I just noticed your question from March 15. This info may be too late ... sorry I was asleep at the wheel and didn't see your question on rear hinge mounting. I just built a spacer to take the load from the sheet metal to the for-aft side beam. Can't seem to find a picture. I'm sure you already figured this out.

Attached are some pic's of my interior so far ...

Attachments

• ToyStorage.jpg
    ToyStorage.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 62
  • WowThatsGreen.jpg
    WowThatsGreen.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles