Galaxy Tab S2

Jsweezy

Explorer
So I saw one of these at Costco the other day and thought it could be good for a gps and it already has the GPS with GLONASS (that's what the box says). Is anyone on here using one and if so what do you think?

Obviously I am not in the know with all of this and the more I read on here the less I feel like I know. I have an Ipad right now and I am just not thrilled with the lack of storage space and the fact that I cant add anymore. Oh and its only wifi so if I wanted to use it as a gps I would need to buy that too. That and I got it back in 2014 and left it in a hot garage for a year or so, so it acts funny from time to time.

Thanks!

dms1

Explorer
I have the Tab S2 and I use Gaia on it. I would check around for a better price, I got mine for $400 (bought mine right after Christmas) and I thought I saw them at Costco for $450 a few weeks ago. Also Samsung has introduced the Galaxy Tab S3 with S Pen and the reviews are good, so the price of the S2 will probably drop even more. I just put a 256 GB SD card in my S2. I recommend the otter box case. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

captadv

Spectator
You can get them on EBay for under $300.

I love mine. I use it work backcountry navigator and Waze.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
Ive had one through VZW. Using a 128GB card with BCNP and starting to fiddle with Gaia. I junked HEMA NA for obvious reasons. I have a Gumdrop case on mine and has worked well. Thinking about pairing it wih a Dual GPS or GLO just to do it. Overall, I am happy with it.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Nice! Thanks for the input, makes my decision a lot easier.

Costco currently has them for 389.00, they also have the galaxy tab A for 150.00 though which is more appealing price wise but I've also learned that with stuff like this you get what you pay for and I want to use this Tab for other stuff as well as a gps. If anyone has any opinions feel free to share!

Jsweezy

Explorer
I have the Tab S2 and I use Gaia on it. I would check around for a better price, I got mine for $400 (bought mine right after Christmas) and I thought I saw them at Costco for $450 a few weeks ago. Also Samsung has introduced the Galaxy Tab S3 with S Pen and the reviews are good, so the price of the S2 will probably drop even more. I just put a 256 GB SD card in my S2. I recommend the otter box case. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Hey I just noticed your in Torrance. I love Eat at Rudys and dream about their steak and egg breakfast regularly.

I was gonna go the Gaia route as well, it seems like the one to use right now.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have been test Gaia and TOPO USA on both iPad and Samsung. The 128g iPAd is the winner, yes the storage options could be better but maping seems to rum much better with the ipad. I do like Samsung because you can rotate the maps easy. The biggest factor for me was the ability to see the screen with my sun glasses on and iPad is a clear winner for me.

Jsweezy

Explorer
LandCruiserPhil - Whats different about the screens that you couldnt see the samsung with your sunglasses on?

malibubts

Adventurer
LandCruiserPhil - Whats different about the screens that you couldnt see the samsung with your sunglasses on?

Most device screens are polarized, which can be an issue if your sunglasses are polarized. Different manufactures of glasses and devices polarize at different angles, so depending on the alignment of the polarization between the glasses and the screen you'll block out the view. It may be at a 45 degree angle, in portrait, or landscape. My guess is that what LandCruiserPhil saw was one device was polarized in a direction that caused issues on one but not the other.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Oh ok makes sense. I remember the first time I bought polarized sunglasses and couldnt see my phone screen ha ha. I just wasnt sure if there was some other reason I wasnt thinking of.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
It has something to do with the manufactures screen I have a couple Samsung Tables (1 brand new) and a few iPads (1 brand new) and under all conditions when I wearing my prescription sunglasses Im able to see the ipad's. My wife also has the same problem with over the counter sunglasses. I also feel the ipads work with Gaia better as in faster using the Bad Elf over the built in GPS on all devices. I do like the changeable mini SD cards for the Samsung. I wish I could figure out a way to get more than 128 of map storage with my ipad, anyone?

FWIW Im not in any way a computer IT guy just my finding testing on the trail while running multiable devices at the same time.

spikemd

Explorer
I bought my 8 inch Samsung Tab A at Costco a few weeks ago, loaded up Gaia GPS pro and downloaded maps /layers. I then downloaded the Earthmate app and synced the tablet to my Delorme InReach. Worked great last week all over Death Valley. I found the gps in the tablet alone worked great and like the larger screen om the 8 inch tablet. I use a cup holder mount and it was pretty sturdy over miles of washboard. Using the tablet, I was able to send and receive messages thru the Delorme and I dropped in a 64gb minisd card to store maps. Very happy with the setup.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
It has something to do with the manufactures screen I have a couple Samsung Tables (1 brand new) and a few iPads (1 brand new) and under all conditions when I wearing my prescription sunglasses Im able to see the ipad's. My wife also has the same problem with over the counter sunglasses. I also feel the ipads work with Gaia better as in faster using the Bad Elf over the built in GPS on all devices. I do like the changeable mini SD cards for the Samsung. I wish I could figure out a way to get more than 128 of map storage with my ipad, anyone?

FWIW Im not in any way a computer IT guy just my finding testing on the trail while running multiable devices at the same time.
You shouldnt need anywhere close to 128Gb for maps alone, they aren't that big. If you need more storage though you can get external storage you can plug into your iPad

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jsweezy

Explorer
Thanks for the input/help everyone. I ended up needing a new phone so I got an LG G6 and am going to mess with different apps and eventually get a tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles