Rivnut weight capacity

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Plusnut

You might want to check out the Plusnut fastener. It is advertised as being better for thin substrates. It does have a large load bearing surface when installed - probably larger than conventional rivnuts.

I do not have personal experience with them in thin sheet metal or fiberglass.

Plusnut®
Cardinal Components carries Bollhoff Plusnut® Blind Fasteners for the the most rigid fastening. A Plusnut® is a blind, threaded fastener recommended for rigid fastening in sheet metal, fiberglass and plastics. The slotted shank spreads and forms large flaps to evenly distribute working loads over a large area. Bollhoff Plusnut® fasteners are ideal when you cannot access one side, or if it is very difficult to do so. The Plusnut® is easy to use and yet maintains the strength and integrity needed for industrial or heavy duty applications.

Bollhoff Plusnut® fasteners provide incredible pull-out strength, as well as grip. Where strength is the main goal, this is an ideal fastener to use. Plusnuts® are also ideal for a variety of applications, as both soft or brittle materials accept this fastener optimally, and without damage to the softer materials.

http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/plusnut.html

another_mike

Adventurer
You might want to check out the Plusnut fastener. It is advertised as being better for thin substrates. It does have a large load bearing surface when installed - probably larger than conventional rivnuts.

Plusnut®
Cardinal Components carries Bollhoff Plusnut® Blind Fasteners for the the most rigid fastening. A Plusnut® is a blind, threaded fastener recommended for rigid fastening in sheet metal, fiberglass and plastics. The slotted shank spreads and forms large flaps to evenly distribute working loads over a large area. Bollhoff Plusnut® fasteners are ideal when you cannot access one side, or if it is very difficult to do so. The Plusnut® is easy to use and yet maintains the strength and integrity needed for industrial or heavy duty applications.

Bollhoff Plusnut® fasteners provide incredible pull-out strength, as well as grip. Where strength is the main goal, this is an ideal fastener to use. Plusnuts® are also ideal for a variety of applications, as both soft or brittle materials accept this fastener optimally, and without damage to the softer materials.

Ive also never used them, but I worry there is no ridges on the portion that goes through the panel like on a rivnut. Id worry the plusnut might spin because of that.

02rangeredge

Adventurer

Plusnut®

Ive also never used them, but I worry there is no ridges on the portion that goes through the panel like on a rivnut. Id worry the plusnut might spin because of that.

I just got my metal and rivets today, after actually handling everything, my materials are more than enough to hold the boats, I'm stupid excited to be able to haul my boats, they make trips up into the Northern lower peninsula so much better

NMC_EXP

Explorer

I used Plusnut once for an automotive sheet metal application. Size was 1/4-20. Installed them with a hand tool and two wrenches. They did not spin when I torqued the bolts. Might be a different story if they had to be removed.

another_mike

Adventurer
I used Plusnut once for an automotive sheet metal application. Size was 1/4-20. Installed them with a hand tool and two wrenches. They did not spin when I torqued the bolts. Might be a different story if they had to be removed.

Removing them and having them spin is more what I had in mind.

B

BPD53

If you use one of these to install them you will have no worries.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 18

NMC_EXP

Explorer
They work very well, Be aware their surface flange protrudes a fair bit more than a typical 'Rivnut.
Removal is easy as drilling off the flange, their guts fall into the void to rattle about & drive you nuts !!

Good point - the amount the deformed flanges extend can limit where they can be used.

As to another rattle......in my FJ60, I would never know the difference.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I like to install rivnuts with loctite on the exterior to help prevent spinning. I also only use the high strength knurled rivnuts and install them with the manual tool that requires 2 wrenches or the rivet gun like puller for sizes smaller than 5/16". I use only 10-32, 10-24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18 and 3/8-16. Keeping the hole you install them in as close to the diameter of the rivnut itself is best for strength and to keep the nut form shifting off center as it's pulled.

another_mike

Adventurer
I like to install rivnuts with loctite on the exterior to help prevent spinning. I also only use the high strength knurled rivnuts and install them with the manual tool that requires 2 wrenches or the rivet gun like puller for sizes smaller than 5/16". I use only 10-32, 10-24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18 and 3/8-16. Keeping the hole you install them in as close to the diameter of the rivnut itself is best for strength and to keep the nut form shifting off center as it's pulled.

which loctite would you use on a rivnut?

javajoe79

Fabricator
"green"..... that narrows down to about a dozen different compounds lol. FYI, Loctite uses numbers to identify their products.

I think most people would know I meant sleeve retainer when I say green loctite. So.... 640. Sorry if that was confusing.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My rivnut setter is a manual, similar to the one shown above, and it is a major PITA to set nuts at strange angles or in tight spaces. I recently bought a pneumatic rivet setter (for blind rivets) because I had to do a bunch of them on a project. It is wonderful! If I ever have to do any more large or large volume rivnuts, I'm getting a pneumatic setter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94