Just picked up a DeLorme inReach

BigBamBoo

Observer
I was at the local Sportsman's Warehouse and they had the last gen inReach's on sale. So I decided to buy a SE.

They had two of the SE's and one of the red (Explorer?) ones in stock. But I did not need the gps function so this one should work out well for my needs.

Can't wait to use it on my next outing.

IMG_0059.jpg
[/url] image img[/IMG]

BigBamBoo

Observer
I don't have a smart phone, but have a iPad that I have downloaded the app to. I am excited to give it a try. I am hoping to get away towards the end of the month and that will be the maiden voyage for it.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Mine has paid off nicely.

My Partner really likes the two-way communication. She hated when I used the SPOT because they were just canned messages and she had no way to contact me.

I was able to use it when I had a mechanical problem on my motorcycle and got some great tech support from a friend with the two-way texting.

In Baja Mexico this past January they were absolutely priceless with our large group of motorcycles in the back country. One of our riders broke his leg and we were able to coordinate his extraction. I did go way over my allotted text, but it wasn't too much of a financial hit considering the value of being able to communicate with no cell coverage.

I don't leave home without it.

BigGeorge

The SPOT communicator failed me when I was in Africa. Having the two way messaging is so much better. Price wise it is a more expensive service plan but you can just bump your plan down to very little to carry it through the months that you do not need it. Last minute trip? Just pop online and bump it back up in less then 5 minutes.

I would also suggest getting on Ebay or Amazon and look for their custom fitted RAM mount. I picked one up for my car and love it. The one I have has power which connects through 4 contacts on the back so I don't even need to plug in the USB cable.

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
I would also suggest getting on Ebay or Amazon and look for their custom fitted RAM mount. I picked one up for my car and love it. The one I have has power which connects through 4 contacts on the back so I don't even need to plug in the USB cable.
These are no longer made so they're like finding hen's teeth. But I found that Gander Mountain has them in stock, and even has a 20% off sale going on until April 15th, and free shipping. Without taxes that brings the total to $55.99. The code is APRIL20.

Link here: http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=DeLorme-inReach-Series-Powered-RAM-Motor-Sports-Mount&i=783748

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier