Outlaw Xpeditions Oregon Trail Off-Road Experience

Outlaw Xpeditions

Adventurer
Well many of you know us by our old name Oregon Trail Off-Road and as is the case so many times in life what you started out as begins an evolution to adapt to the direction life takes us. We could have never imagined what a simple idea between a few friends would have taken us down the long dusty path we are on now. The journey was everything we could have possibly hoped for and yet nothing like we had expected. The twists and turns the ups and downs the fights between friends the challenges we overcame and in the end conquering what we set out to do made us into the team we are now OX Overland (Outlaw Xpeditions). It was an evolution from a one trip expedition team into something much larger then ourselves as we reemerged from the Oregon Trail with a new purpose, To explore expose and enlighten our community to the historic trails of north America. Its a huge undertaking but we have fallen in move with the history and personal stories of pioneers who truly braved the elements and risked life and limb to create the country we live in now. So we are OX Overland and this.... is our story.

The excitement was crazy we'd all been planning this wild adventure for years and after a night camping with our families we set out to embark on the last horse powered expedition over the Oregon trail in nearly 200 years. I'd love to say that it started out with a positive spin but although the first day was down a path we'd traveled many times it was one of the weirdest experiences I've had in our backyard. I'll let you make your own decisions on it when you check out the first episode of our journey but we ran into what had to be one of the sketchiest experiences we'd had with anyone we'd met on the trail pulled our friends through the first major obstacle on our path and ended our first long day down the Oregon Trail tucked into a serene little camp spot up along a babbling brook.

Last edited:

Outlaw Xpeditions

Adventurer
One Lane Road - Episode 17: Over Equipped and Under Prepared

Even if you've traveled a path many times there are things outside of your control that can completely change the way you experience the trail and this was one of those days. We'd left this morning with high hopes for the day and in good spirits, the weather was beautiful not to hot a few clouds to provide a little shade and of course all the dusty trail we could handle. We'd been to this area many times and we were excited to see a few familiar sights along the way so we forged through the trail past the spinning symphony of windmill blades through a crack between plateaus filled with locust and just as morning was sliding its way into our rear view we got a phone call that took away any semblance of serenity we may have had. Its the unexpected that makes a journey an adventure its the adventure that creates the anticipation of unexpected and we find contentment in beautiful harmony between the two. So no matter what we face we hit it head on and forge our way through as a team

Outlaw Xpeditions

Adventurer
One Lane Road - Episode 17: Over Equipped and Under Prepared

We'd made it through the first two days of our 44 day journey. We'd made it through some minor terrain the death of a family member and although it'd already been a little crazy we were ready for whatever came next, however I'm not sure we were ready for the shift in our team. We'd have a chance meeting with a rock in the middle of nowhere that would put our team at odds with our surroundings and ultimately split the team earlier then expected. Its always a bit of a challenge rebalancing a group after the members have changed but we put on our smiles and trail legs and pushed on into one of the biggest reroutes of our journey.

For a behind the scenes look into what didn't make it into the videos and what really happened along the way check out our Campfire Stories w/OX Overland every friday night at 8pm pacific time and don't forget to help us reach our next journey and subscribe to our youtube channel

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
No problem! Enjoying the videos! Do you guys plan to release gps tracks and field notes etc? I think gps tracks, a history book and paper maps would be a great idea :) something I would purchase

Outlaw Xpeditions

Adventurer
We are a team that took the resources we had made the best of a subpar situation and embarked on what would be the greatest adventure any of us had ever experienced. But it wasn't easy in fact we earned every mile we traveled along the Oregon Trail. Our path wouldn't be easy we knew this, but thats what drew us to the trail in the first place, if you never take a risk you risk never reaching your fullest potential if you never push your self you leave your self wondering what your capable of and one step into your dreams is one step away from regret. We never claimed to be the most polished the most efficiently organized or the most equipped expedition team but what we lack in gear and resources we make up for in heart, determination and passion. What we say is what we do who you see is what you get and we found a path that like the pioneers before us, will lead us into the unknown. We'd seen the devastation and the repair of a forest fire made it down a forest trail that would turn us in our tracks witnessed a machine that gave us a new respect for our ancestors and saw Cauxby and the ranger stuck in the same place for the second time.

Don't forget to subscribe to our youtube channel. And check out the behind the scenes stories every friday night at 8pm pacific time live with Campfire Stories w/OX Overland

Outlaw Xpeditions

Adventurer
No problem! Enjoying the videos! Do you guys plan to release gps tracks and field notes etc? I think gps tracks, a history book and paper maps would be a great idea :) something I would purchase

Man we'd love to this is one of the questions we get ask the most but unfortunately there was so many locked gates and private land we had to reroute around that it would take a group effort or us running the route a few more times to get a good established route others can follow. I will however post the Oregon section eventually as we've got a pretty good route for that section. Stay tuned though I'm working on a map creation and navigation how to on our youtube channel.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Man we'd love to this is one of the questions we get ask the most but unfortunately there was so many locked gates and private land we had to reroute around that it would take a group effort or us running the route a few more times to get a good established route others can follow. I will however post the Oregon section eventually as we've got a pretty good route for that section. Stay tuned though I'm working on a map creation and navigation how to on our youtube channel.

Nice. There's a guy over on ADV rider that put together a map/book/tracks package or something like that for the Lewis and Clark Trail. I'm looking at getting that as I haven't found a whole lot on the trail. I think it's around $40. Worth it in my opinion.

Here's his trip report

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/lewis-and-clark-trail-8-yrs-of-it.1048482/

bigskypylot

Explorer

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. I'd like to do the Bozeman Trail as well

I have this for my GPS and need to update the card but thought of doing the Android app perhaps. Their Hunting based stuff is pretty decent and have found this adventure/recreation based app/card good as well for knowing private property and landowners

https://roam.onxmaps.com/

Outlaw Xpeditions

Adventurer
One Lane Road - Episode 19: Pioneers Pathway

It was a dream that became a reality and left one of the fondest memories in our lives. I mean sure just the nature of the trip would more than warrant some epic memories but for us it's the feeling brought on by those memories the bonds built through the hardships of our journey and the pride that comes from accomplishing something few humans in our life time will ever attempt. One Lane Road - Episode 19: Pioneers Pathway brings us to our first wagon ruts sighting and gave us a perspective on the pioneer life that brought a raw realism to the struggle of the early settlers. It wasnt long till we were faced with some of the same obstacles the Oregon trail travelers would have encountered along the way as we braved the scorching temperatures and gear failures. We end this episode crossing our first boarder and leaving our native state of Oregon behind and tackling our neighboring state of Idaho

Don't forget every Friday night at 8 pm pacific time to tune in to our livecast on YouTube. Campfire Stories with OX feature the team local explorers and then behind the scenes of our expedition.

Make sure you subscribe to our channel and comment subscribed on one of the videos to get a chance to get some recovery gear from ARB Warn Traction Jacks Proven Overland and more.

Last edited:

Utah200

Adventurer
So profound...I half expected that by the end of the trip you'd have solved cold fusion and cured cancer.

Outlaw Xpeditions

Adventurer
Jason's Studio - Episode 1: Overland Mapping Tutorial

Of the many questions we get asked the one we answer the most is all about mapping navigation and the execution of an overland route. This is the first of many reviews and tutorials as we talk about how to plan plot and create a map for your next adventure. I'll be going over picking your start and end point what program we use to create our maps and I'll even dive into a little on how to cross reference an old historical map to make a map you can use to retrace history. As always help us out by subscribing to our channel and let us know what you'd like to see reviewed or what you'd like to learn about from us. After you've subscribed comment subscribed in the comments of any of our video's to enter to win some awesome recovery gear from ARB Warn Traction Jacks Voodoo Tactical.

Outlaw Xpeditions

Adventurer
One Lane Road - Episode 20: The Utter Disaster

If it wasn't one thing it was another, we anticipated obstacles and challenges and so far we'd met those problems head on and come out on tip but the Oregon Trail was definitely making us work for every mile we got. In a way I believe we would have felt a little cheated if the journey wasn't a challenge for us. We were following the path of the early settlers and although we had no where near the troubles they did we needed to feel what they did, even if it was only in our own small way. That was what this experience was about after all pursuing our sense of adventure through the path the pioneers forged so many years before us. We all walked away with something different we all learned things about each other and ourselves that we hadn't realized before and that was what this was all about. The history we stumbled upon in this episode gave a realism to the struggle and loss the pioneers faced as they made there way west toward a better life.

We also did our first YouTube giveaway last night. Thanks to ARB, WARN, Voodoo Tactical, Proven Overland & traction jacks for the support and from all of you that subscribed to our channel without you guys behind us we wouldn't be where we are today. More giveaways to come so subscribe to our youtube channel comment subscribed in the comments of any video and get some cool gear from some rad companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles