Need recommendation for camp kitchen utensil set

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I'm not spending $65 for a utensil bag, that's insane. I don't need MOLLE straps on my kitchen bag, I'm not fighting ISIS with my kitchen tools.

You never know when you might have to pause your grill game to pop smoke or put a few rounds out the patio door :D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Me too.

Like to chime in with our usage. After using Snowpeak, GSI, MSR, and lots of other stuff in between. We ended up purchasing a Nice set of cutlery (fork, knife, spoon,, etc.) from Bed Bath and Beyond. A regular table setting. We also got A nice set of SS tongs, Silicone Spatula, Silicone spoon, measuring cups and spoons. Normal kitchen ware. All the other stuff was just frustrating. Flip out this, break that. Whatever.

We still use some of the other stuff for the actual backpacking trips. Cooking in the vehicle, we use nice utensils and kitchen tools. trust me, lots of time and money wasted on it. You want a nice roll for it? purchase the gear and whatever the longest item is, look for an appropriate roll that will fit it. Or sew your own.

Trust me, you will not be disappointed if you piece it together. The other stuff is either cheap or useless.
Yup.

I've got two knives in there, a corkscrew/bottle opener, can opener, couple-a aluminum forks & spoons, flipper spatula, scraper spatula, a set of these (whatever the frick you call them, they're handy), and a big server spoon/ladle thingy.

The rest of the Hilldweller cheap and stinky cooking kit:
Dutch oven: https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoor-Hard-Anodized-Dutch/dp/B0018BK7RQ
Fry-Bake: https://store.nols.edu/products/fry-bake-expedition
Funny little Walmart fry pan: https://www.amazon.com/Slip-Stone-Cookware-Non-Stick/dp/B00O28SUQW

krick3tt

Adventurer
Decide what you need and go to a thrift store and get the utensils and a plastic box to put them in. Spending tons of money to outfit a 'kitchen' that is used sparingly is insane. ...and yes I am dedicated to Overlanding, been doing it for 30 years but not stuffy about it.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Decide what you need and go to a thrift store and get the utensils and a plastic box to put them in. Spending tons of money to outfit a 'kitchen' that is used sparingly is insane. ...and yes I am dedicated to Overlanding, been doing it for 30 years but not stuffy about it.

I agree that titanium sporks and high end cooking utensils are over the top for the typical camp kitchen and that there is great wisdom in buying things seldom used like camp cutlery and utensils from a discount store or thrift shop.

Most of my camp cookware, cutlery and utensils are pieces retired from regular kitchen use or acquired cheaply. I won't be upset if any of it is ruined or lost, but being frugal doesn't mean that I don't lust after nice gear or occasionally treat myself to something that some might find extravagant, e.g., my bags from Blue Ridge Overland Gear.

whitenoise

Adventurer
You've probably already made a choice, but leaving this here for posterity. Its a kit I put together using pieces carefully chosen from the local Asian grocery/restaurant-supply store. A lot of the pieces I chose are made in Japan (some from S.Korea), I'm not saying this is always better but just look at that wood trim - it matches my Lexus interior exactly :sombrero:

Everything is wrapped inside a Dickie's small wrench roll (Link: http://a.co/h1FFEfQ)

Inside the roll, there is:
Wood & stainless turners
Stainless serving spoons - shallow and soup ladle
Peeler/Grater
Corkscrew/Can/Bottle Opener
KitchenAid forged santoku and fruit knives (only things not from the Asian store)
Tongs
2 large spoons (can be used for serving)
Olicamp Pot lifters
Room for expansion if needed

All of our personal eating utensils are not carried in this roll, its for "chef" use only... this segregation becomes necessary when you sometimes have wayward kids in the group..

IMG_20161116_222621225_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150802_162444158_HDR.jpg

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I have a set of children's Ikea kitchen utensils that I originally got for backpacking and canoe camping with; I can't find them on the Ikea website, but instead found this set, which sounds exactly like what you are looking for. Unfortunately it's on the UK one, but I suspect there will be a similar option available in the USA (there is in Australia, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't)

Why did I go with the kids set? They're 2/3 the size of normal ones, but are still heat proof etc, and therefore are ideal for using with a trangia or other stove, whilst being smaller and lighter than a full size set. Just easier than using a Spork for everything...

Honu

lost on the mainland
rubermaid spoon spatula :) some stuff from business costco
my kids have a colored spork for fun :)
fish turner very handy for lots of turning things a large commercial kitchen kinda turner good tongs etc..

like others not a fan of the camp utensils vs good ol regular stuff !

our silverware is our previous stuff from our house

the only thing I use camp is plates and paper for easy clean up

I do not mind getting nice stuff when it saves space or weight that can add up but not at the cost of ease and durability

I prefer all my stuff in a rubber maid container ? easy to clean never absorbs grease or smells and easy to clean out and pack as much as I can in a small area

the roll thing I am not sure of had it in our conqueror camper and it was pretty nice the way they had it ! but still not opposed to making my own one day

NCLRbear

Adventurer
I love my front runner kit. And the three pronged forks are a good conversation piece. Look up why Americans use a four pronged fork.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Dollar Store for a good chunk of my stuff. Regular metal utensil set was a must-have - I hate eating (and washing) plastic, and lets face it, a titanium spork is both a terrible spoon and a terrible fork.

Dollar store and Home Goods/TJ Maxx type places for cooking utensils.

The only real "camping" cooking stuff in my kit is a nice nesting pot set from Sea to Summit because it's low-profile enough to fit into 1 side of my small kitchen kit in an electronics case. Oh, and I have Hydroflask-brand tumblers because they do a good job of doubling up for keeping beer/cocktails cool and morning coffee hot and I got them on clearance.

I like Bucket Boss rolls for my trail kit tools and was considering another order for the utensils but maybe that small Dickies role might be a better choice for some. Anyway, these Bucket Boss rolls are excellent, cheap, easy to use, extremely durable, quality construction; I've been using them for years and highly recommend them for tool rolls for sure!

Bucket Boss

The Bucket Boss Super Tool Roll has been used for my loose tools; pliers, screwdrivers, extensions, drivers, etc. and I highly recommend; this could very well be a great option for hanging kitchen wear options too; completely adjustable roll size so no matter what you stuff in there, if the zipper closes it will roll-up.

Not wax-canvas so not waterproof but you can soak them like I did with various water repellant options of your choice before use if so desired. Sorry, no Molle for those of you who can't let go or those who never went and want to be tacti-cool! :p :ROFLMAO:

billiebob

WOW, this is where camping gets expensive, utensils as long as I remember have always been the oldest stuff in the kitchen or garage sale items. When I used to mountaineer, utensils were "stolen" plastic cutlery from a fast food outlet.

This is my entire kit, rolled into an old tea towel.
IMG_0065.jpeg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
WOW, this is where camping gets expensive, utensils as long as I remember have always been the oldest stuff in the kitchen or garage sale items. When I used to mountaineer, utensils were "stolen" plastic cutlery from a fast food outlet.

This is my entire kit, rolled into an old tea towel.
View attachment 588042

Love it! All ya need!

I’m heading out on my moto next week for 7 days exploring and camping in the lands between Colorado and Moab and this is my kitchen, spices, pot, fry pan, pans, bbq grill, cutting board, towels, cup, utensils, leftovers storage, etc.....and bar. Fits nicely in my rear bag. Lots of options. Cheers!

43A6FEB6-E690-4F08-AEA3-F248C6AC7556.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles