1985 Toyota Pickup EXT cab build

WhiteToyTruck

So I have been on this forum for awhile as a spectator for awhile, then as a poster with questions for a bit. I have decided to make a post dedicated to my continual build of my truck into a DD / Trail Rig / Overland Rig. For right now I will simple post what I have and what my plans are and will continually post as I build.

What I started with was a 1985 Toyota Pickup 4x4 that was completely stock that came with a 22r with blown head gasket. I can't remember what exactly I bought it for but i think it was 450 bucks. I replaced the engine and drove it for a few years while in college after rebuilding the engine but I kept it stock for the longest time except for a header and a exhaust. After I finally got settled in my job I was able to save up and do what I've always wanted. Build it! This make and model is by far my favorite truck out there. Fell in love with it during Back to the Future. I wish it was a 22re SR5 but I'll take what I can get. This isn't a mall crawler but i definitely baby her and don't like rock rash. This is a camping, backpacking, hiking, mudding, and wannabe over landing rig. Not a rock crawler.

What I have done
I lifted the truck with a 4" ProComp lift. It was the cheapeast that I could afford before I drove it down from Washington to Arizona. I put 35" Tires on her that i had on another Toyota pickup of mine. I had Toy Only Swaps perform a 3.4 5VZ-FE into the truck . This changed my transmission to a R150 V6 Tranny and Transfercase. After about a year or so driving with that I decided I wanted some more power. I put on a Magnuson supercharger from URD. That definetly gave it some extra go. But since I go up to Northern Arizona to camp and backpack I had bad pinging going up in elevation. To eliminate that I installed the 7th Injector from URD as well as there 2.2" supercharger pulley for even more power. I also installed a ARB winch bumper and a Warn M8000 winch onto that. To monitor everything that is going on with my truck I currently have Boost, Wideband, and Oil Pressure on my A-Pillar. My oil pressure guage in my cluster burnt out and haven't wanted to waste money on a new cluster when I have it on my cluster. I also have a ScanGaugeII wedged into the slot under the radio displaying Intake Air Temp, Coolant Temp, Real RPM (My tach is 1.5x off), and Gallon Per Hour.

Electronics / Gauges :
A-Pillar 3 Pod Setup - Autometer Boost, Wideband, and Oil Pressure
Scanguage II - Monitoring Intake Air, Coolant Temp, RPM, and Gallons per hour fuel consumtion
Toyota Inclinometer
SR5 Gauge Cluster (-Oil pressure gauge that doesnt work, The tach is also off by 1.5x)

Engine :
5vzfe
Magnusun Supercharger
URD 7th Injector
K&N Cold Air

Transmission
R150 V6 Transmission and Transfercase

Suspension:
Pro Comp 4" Lift

Tires
35" Mud Terrains

Exhaust
Flowmaster exhaust and high-flow cat

What I plan on doing:

Future and soon to be changes include not in any particular oder
1. New Seats. Mine are junk and are slowing donating its foam all over my floor
2. Re-Gear the truck to 4.88's with front and rear lockers.
3. Wider Rear Axle (Already have the housing, waiting for gears)
4. On Board Air
5. Rock Sliders
6. Better lift with more flex, possibly trail gear
7. Rock over the truck cap to hold a tent, and gear.
8. Hoodscoop from Toyota Fiberglass to cover hole in hood caused by supercharger clearances.

Current Issues:

Currently what I am dealing with is overheating while on the highway. It has been an ongoing issue since I moved to Arizona. Around town driving the engine will stay at 195-200 via my ScanGauge. But on the highway it creeps up to 210-215 on longer road trips. And 215-225 while going up long grades. I am currently runing the stock mechanical fan and have done everything I can think of to get it to cool better. I have replaced my thermostat, switched out the hoses twice (Didn't bother me, now I have spares), replaced the radiator, and bled the piss out of the system for air. Still haven't corrected the issue. Currently having a custom made aluminum crossflow radiator made for me from Ron Davis Radiators.

Let me know what you guys think so far.

image3.JPG

0d9646e9_3e38_47b2_98c9_beb01de44ec0_564e58138753ddb3acad0545ddb6d2a72f453bdc.jpg

8fb0eb90_0d63_4b5b_a777_4466fdedd09b_abeddac49971d37c02aad290ae5c51a48fb0d6cd.jpg

ceac30dd_a8c4_4842_a5ca_52775f9cd52a_84c612bc02a22d470398cfbb97fadb293db9c339.jpg

d7bf6e77_cb1b_47e6_a036_6fe81b2516fe_4bf92454ea105d02269c10959dd87ca289437ad1.jpg

ec473fea_c8c7_48b3_853f_649bdfaa5bdf_4722933891485c88b0f31bd50deccfb6f0c79c31.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

Last edited:

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Are you planning on doing a scoop to cover the hole in the hood? I know I would worry about water getting in there.

Sweet truck in any case!

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Cool truck. I bet it hauls *** with the new motor and Supercharger. I had overheating issues on my 22re and I replaced everything you did. It turned out to be my fan clutch. Simple fix and fairly cheap in the whole scheme of things if it fixes the problem.

WhiteToyTruck

Are you planning on doing a scoop to cover the hole in the hood? I know I would worry about water getting in there.

Yes I am. I am ordering a hood scoop from Toyota Fiberglass. I resolved the water issue in the time being by using a magnetic mat/sheet I found at a craft store. In bad weather I just put it over the hole and take it off when the weather eases up. It's not pretty but its practical and works. Everytime I look at that hole I can't wait to get the scoop.

KLRTim

Observer
Nice Rig Here is My Hilux 1986 Diesel

Great Rig love what you have done :)

Thought I would share mine again it is here on another Thread.

She is Called Annie 1986 5 speed Diesel 2lt.
So far she has the following modsoints

Lift kit 32s new Awning and Roof rack, Led Light Bar ARB Bull Bar.
UHF radio and cd player.
Have replaced the following since I took ownership.
New Timing Belt and Water Pump.
Fan Belts
Oils and filters
New Glow plugs and Heavy Duty Battery.
Recovery equipment
New Jack and spares.
Replaced all Light Bulbs and most wiring.
Replaced all the uni joints.
Greased all fixtures and most oil seals.

she is a trooper.

will not sell her as they are getting soooo hard to find in good nick especially Diesel Models non turboed,

Attachments

• 16406812_10211513897459710_7848522637925086018_n.jpg
    16406812_10211513897459710_7848522637925086018_n.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 55
  • New RRack 3.jpg
    New RRack 3.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF4527.jpg
    DSCF4527.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 53
  • latest pic.jpg
    latest pic.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 51

04dblcab

Observer
Cool truck. I bet it hauls *** with the new motor and Supercharger. I had overheating issues on my 22re and I replaced everything you did. It turned out to be my fan clutch. Simple fix and fairly cheap in the whole scheme of things if it fixes the problem.

You can either buy one or rebuild your old one I think I have one that will fit your truck in my garage. Shoot me a message! I'm in Arizona as well!!

WhiteToyTruck

Great Rig love what you have done :)
Beautiful rig. I love the right hand drive. Reminds me of the land cruiser truck I got to drive for work when I lived in Australia. 6spd Diesel right hand drive. I loved it. Too bad we cant get them here in the states.

WhiteToyTruck

Ending up buying a new custom radiator for my truck. I went through Ron Davis radiators out in Glendale, Arizona. They were close to my house and very helpful. The radiator is amazing. After installing I did drive down the highway at 75MPH and it was 105 degrees outside, my temperature stayed around 200-202 which is far better than the 215+ I was seeing in similar weather. The radiator is a cross-flow design per my request. I also added a 2nd temperature sending unit to the return inlet of the radiator where I have an Auto-meter sender attached but currently not hooked up. My plan was to run 2 Toyota sending units and be able to swap between the two to see temperature difference. I had to modify the original fan shroud a little to get it to fit correctly. Including cutting two of the edges off to accommodate the return inlet being swapped to the drivers side and the additional temperature sending unit. I had nothing to lose with the hack job because if it didn't work I was going to make a custom fiberglass one. I still might do that down the road. But I was able to get a pretty good seal using weather-stripping from the hardware store.
IMG_2365.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
I don't know how I missed this truck earlier, but I dig it. I hope you get the overheating resolved, but it looks like the new radiator might be the ticket. I have been considering having a 3.4 swap done for my 84 4runner,so I'll be wat hung your thread closely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles