1985 Toyota Pickup EXT cab build

bkg

Explorer
I strongly recommend the swap. The power gains are incredible, plus the cool factor in my eye. I want to keep it as Toyota as possible.

I currently own a 155k mile 3.4 and supercharged 42k mile 3.4. If keeping it Toyota is important, it's a fantastic engine. I wanted to do a swap for a while and had even started acquiring parts for swapping into.an 89.

Having said that... I currently would find it difficult to go 3.4 over an all aluminum 5.3 LS. Aaand Having said that.... I have zero plans for an engine swap in the next decade.

WhiteToyTruck

Finally got a hood scoop for my hood to cover up the large whole I cut for supercharger clearance. Got it from Toyota Fiberglass. I am very happy with the product itself. It is a bolt on hood scoop. I'll eventually get it fiberglassed onto the hood but for now I'm happy with the results. I need to finish cutting some of the under supports and reinforcing it to make it look better.
IMG_3686.jpg
IMG_3690.jpg
IMG_3692.jpg

WhiteToyTruck

Took the truck camping up in Northern Arizona this weekend. Went through some rock fields, mud holes, and pretty moderate trails and she did great. No overheating and no issues.
Toyota.jpg

WhiteToyTruck

Few small things since the last time that I posted. I decided to mount my Harbor Frieght hi-lift jack to my front bumper. I bought a set of Four-Treks 1 7/8" Modular Hi-Lift mounts. They seem to work very well. I am still undecided if I want to keep them. Not because of the quality or anything like that. They are very well made. I just don't know if I am happy with my bumper up front or not. It might be moved in the future when I get a custom luggage rack made to go around my truck cap. My buddy also started making stickers so he made me a few with my Instagram handle. Maybe it will get me a few followers ha ha.
234324.jpg

I also figured out a way to mount my ScanGauge II. I really try to avoid cutting into or drilling into the dash as much as possible. I really do like these trucks design as is so I try not to modify it it permanently. (I am weird I know, most people bash their trucks, I try to keep it straight and stock-ish). So what I finally figured out after a couple failed home made mounts, was to use one of these new cell phone mounts that came out that use magnets, There is a swivel base that is 3M taped to the dash. Then I put a little metal disk on the back of my scan gauge. Seems to hold it quite well. I routed the wiring up the side of the dash and under my dash pad. Its easy to remove if I want to transfer it to another vehicle.
sadf.jpg
2332.jpg

WhiteToyTruck

Small upgrade but an upgrade none the less. I found these headlight protectors on Ebay. I am a sucker for classic 80's Toyota Truck nostalgia so decided to put them on. On the process of putting them on I had to take the original OEM headlights bezel off and the headlights were so old that the glass separated from the main body of the drivers sides light. Since I already had the grill off to get to the bezel I decided to upgrade my lights as well. I originally ordered some LED lights off Amazon but I ended up not going with them because i either needed to A) Buy another wiring harness or B) Hack up the stock wiring to get them to work. I decided to go with another route and return them. On top of the cluster-fack of the wiring I really just wanted a light that I could go to the store and get a replacement same day. So the LEDS were out. I ended going with a Rampage H4 Headlight Conversion through LCE Performance. Simple and easy conversion that uses the original wiring. So now I have some night and bright headlights and some old school headlight grills. Not everyone will like them, and some say they don't do anything. But its my truck so they can suck it
Lense Protectors.jpg

WhiteToyTruck

Big news, the pickup currently has some competition when it comes to upgrade money. I finally finished my 4 year apprenticeship and am now a journeyman Instrumentation and Controls technician and a power plant so I decided to treat myself to a brand new 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium. I completely love this rig and I am glad I bought it. So for now the pickup will be on the sidelines till I through a lift and some tires on the 4Runner. I'll eventually start a build blog for the 4Runner as well. 4runner.jpg

austintaco

Explorer
My 4runner is rocking the same headlight grills and the HF jack and mounts. My HF jack has rusted up from being on the bumper, and that’s in TX. Whatever you do....don’t sell the truck. You will regret it. Congrats on the new vehicle and finishing your apprenticeship.

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome old truck! 3.4 swap is huge alone in the driveability department, and then you went and added a S/C... I bet its awesome! I actually just picked up a 85' SR5 5speed w/22RE. Gunna drive it for a couple years as-is but am planning on going the 1UZ swap route when the time is right.

Keep it up, and I'm sure you'll like the 5th gen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online