2" receiver cargo basket rated for 1000#...? Feedback on idea, please?

Breathial

Hello, everyone, this is my first post on EP, though I've 'lurked' for a while. Snapshot history- 30 years building cars, can fab and weld just about anything.

I discovered a need to have a cargo basket that would fit into the 2" receiver on my Suburban, that must be at least 24" deep, 48" (or more) wide, able to securely and safely carry 1000# of dead-weight. Basically, something that would hold two 55-gallon drums full of gasoline. Looking on the market, most are rated at 500#, a few that are rated to 600#, nothing that reliably will hold more. (Two 55-gallon drums with gas would weigh ~750#, plus mechanical pump, hoses, miscellaneous gear to make the whole thing usable).

Putting aside the need to retrofit my vehicle with a Class-V hitch (which can be done for only $200), I've come to the conclusion that there are NO cargo baskets that will do the job reliably. So I've done some research, found I can build a basket that will do the job, and will also incorporate "strut" type supports in tension, that attach to the ends of a steel bumper to stabilize the basket when heavy loads are in it, to prevent twisting.

Advantages:
1. Avoids the need for a trailer, increasing mobility
2. Simple, robust construction
3. Extremely useful, should require 15-20 minutes to install or remove (including strut attachment)

Disadvantages:
1. Heavy- would weigh around 100# by itself, though the struts would actually eliminate this as a load on the receiver.
2. Expensive to ship (somewhere around $100-150) within the continental US
3. Cost: the steel alone would cost at least $150-200, plus labor to build and costs to powdercoat

So the questions are:
1. Is this something you'd consider as an addition to your vehicle?
2. What would be a price where you'd say "oh, I've GOT to have this," versus "hmmm, I'll have to convince my spouse?"

I've already worked out the engineering equations, it's easily do-able. I'll be doing this on my own vehicle as a "proof of concept," but I've already verified it'll do the job...

All feedback is welcome, just trying to see if this is something I could market and make a few bucks on, to help pay bills...

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
So over 700 lbs off the bumper ? You would have to redo your springs or maybe airbags. For that cost why not just get a Harbor Freight trailer ? A small trailer would be less cumbersome than a huge receiver rack hanging down reducing your approach and departure angle?

Breathial

Short answer? Yep.

Of course, I also carry around engines and transmissions for my hobby. I bought my Sub as a people-mover, and in that function it performs well. BUT.... I'm tired of slinging engine blocks and transmissions into the rear of my vehicle, constantly risking oil stains which will stink up the rig (and get my wife's nose all bent out of shape- pun intended).

So I've had the need for a while, and now the requirement to be able to tote that much gas- outside the vehicle, where I can avoid the fumes- has come up. And I'm going to build it. Why NOT? It's actually one of the easier things I've designed, will be relatively simple to construct...

Breathial

So over 700 lbs off the bumper ? You would have to redo your springs or maybe airbags. For that cost why not just get a Harbor Freight trailer ? A small trailer would be less cumbersome than a huge receiver rack hanging down reducing your approach and departure angle?

For my rig, no, I won't need to change anything. I've already done the research, it's up to the task. The receiver I'll be putting on will have a negligible impact with regard hanging down low... I was pleasantly surprised by this aspect.

And as far as using a trailer, the short answer is "no." As I mentioned, I wanted maximize maneuverability.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Get a $300 trailer for your 'engine' hobby. Hanging a 1000# off the rear end of a 6000# vehicle seems grossly foolish to me, despite my being a guy that posts about cargo hitch baskets. Going to screw up all sorts of handing characteristics too. *** end is going to want to roll and swing around every time you come near losing traction. center of gravity is going ot be top heavy as well. Better beef up your sway bars too.
And frankly with proper gas cans - and some care not to pour gas on their outsides when filling them - you won't have any odor / fume problem inside the vehicle.
I'm not really seeing an argument FOR such a contraption beyond 'because you can'.

Your time and money. I look forward to seeing your work and how it works out for you.

eta

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/163927-500-lb-capacity-hitch-rack-from-Harbor-Freight

MLu

Adventurer
The suburban has quite a bit of rear overhang as it is, adding an additional foot and 1000 pounds that far from the axle sounds like a bad idea, even on a vehicle that big, never mind on anything smaller. But sure, if you make it multi-purpose and adjustable enough to be able to carry anything from two drums of fuel to an engine or a transmission or a huge pile of firewood or a really big aluminum box or whatever, then I'm sure there's a market for it among a very specialized group of gearheads.

For an overlanding scenario... even with some trucks looking like they just got back from Kalimantan with all the crap strapped and bolted on top and around them, that much weight that far back and the hitch that low would make any kind of off-road scenario more or less impossible. Perhaps the van crowd might be interested, they have the payload capacity, and their overhang is already keeping them from going too far off the gravel.

My first reaction was "that's the dumbest thing I've heard", but after a bit of consideration... hell, why not? Build it and see what happens.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Is this something you'd consider as an addition to your vehicle?
NFW. Aside from the apparent stupidity of carrying 110 gallons of explosive liquid with no protection from minor traffic bumps, those drums are tall and will raise the CG of the truck. We don't know the year or condition or options on your Suburban, so the absolute weight question is a crapshoot. If it's a newer 3500 with hydroboost brakes, you can probably handle the weight if you keep it low. If it's an older 1500 with vacuum boost brakes, the truck is marginal even when empty. 1000 pounds over the axle is a lot different than 1000 pounds hung out behind the rear bumper. Handling will be squirrelly, at best, and downright dangerous on some surfaces. Just because you can, does not mean you should.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I don't want to take the wind out of your sails but while it can be done I don't think it should be. That's too much weight leveraging the rear of the vehicle. This is what trailers are for.

Kevin108

Explorer
Add a front receiver. Split the load up. You're good to go, assuming it's for personal use.

If it's business use? Now you've got DOT/HAZMAT considerations and it's probably a no-go.

Last edited:

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I had a similar need years back. I needed a heavy carrier to hold 800 lbs of ballast, (cement blocks) on the back of small tractor with a front end loader. To buy the single use green one from John Deere was pretty spendy so I just designed one and had it built.
-
Carry%2003.jpg

-
Carry%2005.jpg

-
The receiver bar is removable with a pin, (same size 5/8" pin used to hold it to the hitch) so I could replace the straight tube with one angled up to use it on the Jeep.
-
Carry%2002.jpg

-
The Jeep doesn't want 800 lbs back there but a few light things work well. I have long since added a trailer for the Jeep to replace that use, (can't open the door with the carrier).The lights were for street use on the Jeep. They didn't last long doing tractor work and were removed.

I put two tabs on my 3 Point adapter to keep the carrier from rocking side to side.
-
Carry%2006.jpg

-
Still going strong 10 years later.

One thought for your carrier that I've seen others on here do, since it will be a custom build, build it with two receiver tubes. That will support the weight and also keep it from torqueing the hitch. Does require a more custom hitch on the vehicle side but would be more stable and faster to hook up. Saw this beast at OVX West.

Large box with lots of water cans on top.
-
Rack%201.jpg

-
It had three support bars plus turnbuckles.
-
Rack%202.jpg

-
Just shows you that about anything can be done to solve your individual needs. Not sure there would be much of a market for it to cover the cost of production, insurance, etc.

Breathial

NFW.We don't know the year or condition or options on your Suburban, so the absolute weight question is a crapshoot. If it's a newer 3500 with hydroboost brakes, you can probably handle the weight if you keep it low. If it's an older 1500 with vacuum boost brakes, the truck is marginal even when empty. 1000 pounds over the axle is a lot different than 1000 pounds hung out behind the rear bumper. Handling will be squirrelly, at best, and downright dangerous on some surfaces. Just because you can, does not mean you should.

As currently equipped, it has a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating of 16,000#, GVWR is 8600 against a curb weight of 5900 (allowing 2600# of additional weight). Front axle rated for 4500# (against 3120 actual) and rear is rated at 5500# (2760# actual). In other words, the idea of hanging 1000# off the rear hitch is limited... only by the receiver itself. It is a Class III, rated- VERY optimistically- to 600#, and a replacement Class-V unit, rated to 1200#, can be had for $200.

I can find no specs or other engineering limitations that would be exceeded (or even come close to being exceeded).

Last edited:

Srpat

Observer
For what its worth, I have a heavy duty cargo basket with a ramp. 32" deep and 60" wide. I haul my nearly 300 lb honda tracked snowblower in the winter. The basket is stupid heavy, maybe 150+ lbs, but it does the job. 500 pounds on the back of my tacomas class IV hitch is noticeable, but I would have absolutely no problem driving on paved roads for any distance with it. I can't remember the brand, I bought it from summit racing. It was the heaviest duty basket I could find when I bought it 3 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier