2" receiver cargo basket rated for 1000#...? Feedback on idea, please?

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Any gas container over 8 gallons needs to be DOT rated; so check your drums, if that is what the gas came in they are probably performance oriented packaging with the appropriate UN markings but if you used random drums maybe not. You will also need hazmat training, a bill of lading, the appropriate placarding on your vehicle (i think gas is flammable liquid 3, UN1203), etc...

You can probably find the hazmat training online

To avoid these requirements use containers less than 8 gallons (i think the materials of trade exemption works for hobbies?) and you can't carry more than 440lbs

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I just think of all the bumpy trails I go on and that rear rack bouncing up and down. Considering the tongue weight of most hitches are are in the 750-1000# range, and that is for stable trailer weight not the bouncing shock of one of those racks, I get the feeling you're going to be doing damage if you're carrying 700# on anything but smooth pavement.

Hummelator

Adventurer
Another no here. Aside from the weight/ leverage issue, how about functionality?
If I want to open the tailgate or lift the hatch, will I have to remove the drums and basket?
Seems like one of those ideas that is your own perfect solution ( ideas that I am no stranger to- at least according to the stupid look on my wife's face). If you want one then give 'er, but doubtful you'd be able to make a living producing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94