5th Gen 4Runner drawer build thread

JCDriller

Adventurer
It's not completely finished, but I wanted to post up my drawer build for my 5th gen 4R. Initially I was going to do a whole pull out kitchen, spent a ton of time designing it only to realize I just need to build a teardrop trailer so that's now in the planning stages. I settled on a casing made of 3/4" 13 layer Russian Baltic Birch. To keep weight down I skeletonized the casing and used 1/2" for the drawers. I have a camp table stored above the drivers side drawer. Also, Utilizing an idea found on this very website (sorry I don't recall who) I built in a pull out prep surface that resides under the drawer system. I used 36" Accuride 9301 500lb slides. I think I'm going to finish this with General pre-stain conditioner/Olde Cherry water based stain covered with General 450 water based varnish. I still plan on making folding wings for both sides, I'll leave a cut out for the Scepter water can. I'll also be installing a clear view easy slide 150 fridge drop slide (pictured below on a test casing I whipped up to evaluate the height) on the drivers side along with a 47qt ARB.

In an effort to reduce friction on the pull out table... still a work in progress I may need to add 1/8" risers to the drawer (less work) or plane the table underside down (more work)

Fridge drop slide on test casing (fridge/slide will be mounted on driver's side)

Finally, the other day I also made a platform that fits over the rear seat floor for the dog.

Last edited:

JCDriller

Adventurer
Thank guys, I reloaded all the photos as photo bucket doesn't seem to be playing nice. Hopefully everyone can see them.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Finally got the slide out table just right. It's not pictured but I covered the bottom with 1/8" underlayment board. That reduced the friction from the carpet without adding much height, but it was still too tight so I added a middle support and relieved the center of the slide out table so it didn't interfere. You can't see the cut out center on the table when it is pulled out, the table stops about 1/4" short of showing. Next week I hope to get the side wings built and installed.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Finished the drawer system today, only thing left is to finish it. Probably won't happen until the middle of May or so. Next step is to get a ARB 50qt and get the fridge drop slide installed as I sold my Smitty ARTEC fridge. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Reactions: FMF

JCDriller

Adventurer
I thought I was 100% done with the build yesterday, but it just occurred to me I hadn't attached the table face yet or installed my Stone Brewery bottle opener. My wife was kind enough to let me have a few hours this afternoon.

I also put the fridge drop slide in, still trying to decide which side to mount it to.

Or passenger side

After seeing everything I think I'm leaning towards the passengers side. The pros are: weight offset by gas tank, can still use top table if not fully removed, water tank is tucked behind the fridge slide so its out of the way (but still accessible when fridge is pulled out), and I can still fold down the 40/20 seats on the drivers side to sleep or pass through. The Con: I will no longer be able to see over my right shoulder when switching lanes.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Excellent design and clean build! What is that pullout table on the top level? I like the size of it!

I would go passenger side for the same reasons you mentioned. I often have a north face duffel on top of my fridge compartment which completely blocks that window and I still see out the passenger rear door just fine for switching lanes for what it's worth.
That's a dope little pull out table, where did you scoop that?

Its an aluminum folding table off a surplus medical chest. They are very heavy duty and come in sets of 2 for <$100 from Sportsman's Guide. The tables aren't too heavy, that chest has some crazy weight to it for being aluminum! I just ground the rivets off the 6 toggles on the table, no other mods necessary other than I'm going to strip it and repaint it or leave the top raw aluminum.

photo.jpg

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-portable-medical-supply-chest-new?a=1742745

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Put it on the opposite side of whichever drawer will have food and cooking stuff, so you don't have to constantly lift your fridge while cooking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles