1998 montero shocks selection Gas-a-shock vs Monomax

newworld2004

Adventurer
So I was thinking for replacing original shocks , not sure should I go with Gas-a-shock or Monomax. currently on shock warehouse.com I can get set of four Gas-a-shock for $130 with free shipping.

Thx

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Monomax are pretty darned firm from what other forum members have stated. I have G-a-J on all 3 of mine - like them.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
As a stock replacement you will be happy. KYB will be a really nice ride on road, mono may be better on big bumps off road but you will want to keep your tire pressure stock or lower if you have bigger tires. Don't forget to click the special offer tab on the main screen for an even better deal. I just bought from them last month. What a deal they have.
http://m.shockwarehouse.com/docs/2017-FIB-Redemption-Form.pdf

PacS14

Adventurer
I have Monomax shocks on my 99 and 33" KO2s and I don't think is bad at all, I'm 33 years old and drive it as much as I can, off road sometimes mainly on muddy terrain. Bumps yes I can feel them, but is not bad, well depends on the bumps and how fast you are going to drive over them. Honestly if you plan to overland/off-road/etc and plan to eventually put on bigger tires just get better shocks whatever your heart desires, mine is no Cadillac, but i don't feel like is going to break my back at all.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
I run 35" km2's with bilstein 5100, mine rides like a Cadillac on and off road, all day. Talk to ADD and order yours today!!!

newworld2004

Adventurer
As a stock replacement you will be happy. KYB will be a really nice ride on road, mono may be better on big bumps off road but you will want to keep your tire pressure stock or lower if you have bigger tires. Don't forget to click the special offer tab on the main screen for an even better deal. I just bought from them last month. What a deal they have.

better than Amazon.

newworld2004

Adventurer

so if I go with KYB GAS-A-shock can I still upgrade tires with bigger size like 33" or 31?

Last edited:

TheMole

Adventurer
I have had the monomax on my car for a bit over 23k miles so far with stock-sized cooper at3 tires. The ride is firm and can feel a bit rough on bad roads, but the handling it provides is worth the trade off to me since I mainly drive on roads. The car feels much more stable during braking, turning, and spirited driving if that's your thing. Although, my only comparison is from the oem shocks the car came with. From what I've read, you are probably looking for offroad duties, but wanted to provide some feedback in case.

Also checkout rockauto as the 5% coupon all over google may save you a few bucks. That is quite a deal KYB has going on. Tempted to pick up some gas-a-justs for myself to compare!

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
The 14th St Crew here in Phoenix has several Monteros and a Power Ram 50 (Mighty Max 4WD), and all but one of them has Gas-A-Just shocks on. That's our vote, whether tire size is stock or up to 35". The 99 has MonoMax shocks, and on the drive home from San Diego last year, the two of us who took turns driving it noted that the ride on the freeway was uncomfortably stiff. My personal impression was unfavorable. The G-A-J shocks are an improvement over stock, in my opinion, and the MM are over the top, pretty harsh, but that's just me. Yes, I'd like to try the Bilstein shocks, but the price is a good deal more.

John B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior