Help importing routes, waypoints, coordinates onto Gaia

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I have the Gaia App on my iPhone. When I email myself the attachment of the route I want to run and do a long hold the menu choices do not include Gaia. My attachement is saved as mojaveroad.docx and the example on YouTube was a .gpx, does that make a difference? Any tips are appreciated.

Doug

mjac

Adventurer
What I about to say is android based.

I build a route in whatever mapping program I want to use, either BaseCamp or Mapsource.
Convert the route .gpx file into a track .gpx file (when in a track file, the route is followed with any weird changes)
Save the track .gpx file where Gaia can find it.
Connect tablet to computer. Or send myself an email with the track .gpx file attached.
Open Gaia, import the .gpx file.
Rename it.
Done.

Or, if someone sends me a .gpx file via email, I'll send it to my tablet (where Gaia lives) and Gaia will find it.

HTH

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
What I about to say is android based.

I build a route in whatever mapping program I want to use, either BaseCamp or Mapsource.
Convert the route .gpx file into a track .gpx file (when in a track file, the route is followed with any weird changes)
Save the track .gpx file where Gaia can find it.
Connect tablet to computer. Or send myself an email with the track .gpx file attached.
Open Gaia, import the .gpx file.
Rename it.
Done.

Or, if someone sends me a .gpx file via email, I'll send it to my tablet (where Gaia lives) and Gaia will find it.

HTH

you can just upload it on gaiagps.com, you can route plan and everything on the website and it will sync to all your devices

mjac

Adventurer
you can just upload it on gaiagps.com, you can route plan and everything on the website and it will sync to all your devices
Here in rural Southern Appalachia anything web based is too slow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

e60ral

If your phone has enough internet to upload, your computer can

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

camp4x4

Adventurer
I have the Gaia App on my iPhone. When I email myself the attachment of the route I want to run and do a long hold the menu choices do not include Gaia. My attachement is saved as mojaveroad.docx and the example on YouTube was a .gpx, does that make a difference? Any tips are appreciated.

Doug

Where are you getting that .docx file from?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Ok, hold on everyone!
I am a newbie on Gaia. Let me answer some of what has come up so far.
So I can log onto Gaia.com and then sync stuff onto my phone? I will need to check that out, thanks.
I got a copy of mojave road coordinates and copied it onto a MicroSoft Word document as a docx and emailed myself hoping to do the long-hold and upload to Gaia. I am not the most computer smart person in the tool shed.... I am using my iPhone. (Wish I had a tablet for all of this).
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will be trying to utilize the tips you have provided. I am a little slow on this.
Thank you for your patience ��

camp4x4

Adventurer
Is it possible to convert my doc to a gpx file?

No.

I take it you somehow got like a text list of coordinates? Unfortunately that's not terribly useful. There are sites that'll covert that for you but it's a PITA...

Here's the easy way: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/i3T9j3jCkBcmu5zmNu0xhrw3/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

That link takes you to a GaiaGPS route someone else has already uploaded (not mine). If you're logged in to GaiaGPS in your browser you should see a plus symbol on the page by the download icon... that'll add it to your own GaiaGPS account and should fairly quickly sync to your app (give it a couple/few minutes).

If that doesn't EXACTLY match the route you wanna take then you're gonna have to either A) find a GPX file of the route you DO want to take, or B) create it yourself on the GaiaGPS website. Anything you create there will sync to your phone. Here's a tutorial for that: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/215532518-Manually-Create-a-Route-on-GaiaGPS-com

Also, the first result for "Mojave Road GPX is a page with links to gpx files. I'm guessing this is where you got the text list of coordinates? This is for software called "Terrain Navigator Pro" and doesn't do you any good with GaiaGPS.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Thanks for helping. I know this must sound stupid to some of you. I know the technology is very useful, just trying to get up to speed. I will look at everything you sent.
Thanks,
Doug

camp4x4

Adventurer
Thanks for helping. I know this must sound stupid to some of you. I know the technology is very useful, just trying to get up to speed. I will look at everything you sent.
Thanks,
Doug

Not at all, gpx and mapping can be tricky! let us know how it goes.

e60ral

If you paste your coordinate list into a csv there are tools to covert to gpx

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Retired Tanker

Explorer
The short answer is: Maybe.

You say you have the coordinates, but in what format?

Take a look at the GPX format here and compare what you have to what they want: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format

If you're not familiar with data formats, you may be better off building a track file with the Gaia app or Basecamp. Although Basecamp is a Garmin app, it will still let you save track files in a GPX format. In fact, the whole reason GPX exists is to create a standard that can be used by multiple GPS applications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles