2016 - 4Runner Trail // HAM Radio Location.

mouse007

Explorer
Hello, ExPo..!!

Question, wondering if anyone has installed a HAM radio in the small opening under the radio, right in font of the main cup holder. It looks like the perfect spot, if you have any impute please let me know.

tck4x4

Yes, it is. But just for the faceplate.
TYT-8900 with the head unit under the passenger seat.
HH-9000 antenna on the tailgate.
tyt8900.jpghh9000.jpg

mjac

Adventurer
Hello, ExPo..!!

Question, wondering if anyone has installed a HAM radio in the small opening under the radio, right in font of the main cup holder. It looks like the perfect spot, if you have any impute please let me know.

I tried that with Velcro for the head unit but it was difficult to see and operate. Next I tried a cup holder/goose neck mount from Lido mounts in the forward cup holder. I didn't care for that for the head unit.

I finally put a mount from these guys on the A pillar;

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/toyota/4runner/2016.cmsv

The main unit is under the drivers seat.

FAW3

Adventurer
I've got a Tacoma...IMO the overall radio mounting "environment" is very similar. My needs and the fairly tight confines of the cab & dash area led me to put the main radio body under the driver's seat.

The control head was mounted using a LIDO 18" stalk mount http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/8358276/9102889.htm that comes off the inboard/forward passenger seat mounting bolt. The radio head is mounted to this with a Velcro tape strip (the heavy stiff type, not the soft hook/loop which "wiggles" too much. The neck/head is high enough for easy reading, out of the way, easily to adjust/fiddle with settings.

I use a 2m magnetic mount antenna on the roof - I want highest possible placement with a good ground plane. Offsetting the location toward the drivers side allows me to carry a kayak or canoe without any interference with the antenna placement.

Both of these options offer the ability to easily "hide the eye candy": the stalk/control head can be pushed down into the passenger footwell alongside the transmission hump for concealment, and the mag mount again allows it to be pulled off and placed inside the truck.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
View attachment 395213View attachment 395214

I have my faceplate in the same location with the unit under the drivers seat. My antenna is on a NMO lip mount on the hood.

If you are someone that changes channels and settings constantly I would recommend placing it in front of the clock at teh top of the center console. I don't generally mess with mine much, and its easy enough to see when I need to.

mouse007

Explorer
View attachment 395213View attachment 395214

I like that, how's the sound..? Did you have to mount an external speaker..?

I tried that with Velcro for the head unit but it was difficult to see and operate. Next I tried a cup holder/goose neck mount from Lido mounts in the forward cup holder. I didn't care for that for the head unit.

I finally put a mount from these guys on the A pillar;

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/toyota/4runner/2016.cmsv

The main unit is under the drivers seat.

That's a good spot, I want something more O.E. But this may be a good place to start.

I've got a Tacoma...IMO the overall radio mounting "environment" is very similar. My needs and the fairly tight confines of the cab & dash area led me to put the main radio body under the driver's seat.

The control head was mounted using a LIDO 18" stalk mount http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/8358276/9102889.htm that comes off the inboard/forward passenger seat mounting bolt. The radio head is mounted to this with a Velcro tape strip (the heavy stiff type, not the soft hook/loop which "wiggles" too much. The neck/head is high enough for easy reading, out of the way, easily to adjust/fiddle with settings.

I use a 2m magnetic mount antenna on the roof - I want highest possible placement with a good ground plane. Offsetting the location toward the drivers side allows me to carry a kayak or canoe without any interference with the antenna placement.

Both of these options offer the ability to easily "hide the eye candy": the stalk/control head can be pushed down into the passenger footwell alongside the transmission hump for concealment, and the mag mount again allows it to be pulled off and placed inside the truck.

I've seen this on a few Tacoma's it does work like a charm. Check out my build on my old Taco, I put the unit in the slot next to the shifter.

I have my faceplate in the same location with the unit under the drivers seat. My antenna is on a NMO lip mount on the hood.

If you are someone that changes channels and settings constantly I would recommend placing it in front of the clock at teh top of the center console. I don't generally mess with mine much, and its easy enough to see when I need to.

This looks like the perfect place, I don't change the settings much. I really want more of an O.E. fit more than anything. I think the face plate units are going to be the best option.

mouse007

Explorer
Thanks for all the help guys, I have started the work on my HAM radio. Here is the antenna set up, will be tackling the radio this weekend.

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

mouse007

Explorer
That's a very slick antenna mount. Who makes it?

Thank you sir, the good people of CBI Off Road - They sell a passenger or driver side mount. On the 2010+ Runner's you do need to cut (and/or) heat up a small part on the windshield lower trim to make the mount sit flush. I took the heat and mold option, didn't want to cut anything.

Here is a good video showing the install procedure. https://youtu.be/pHmml81W7j4

mouse007

Explorer
Just finished my install ended up buying a YAESU FTM-3200DR what a bad *** transceiver. Really happy with it, and made sure the install was as O.E. as possible.

Here are the pictures, sorry not the best...

BpPTAq.jpg

Vestqp.jpg

9HOkQm.jpg

znXmK1.jpg

z4I1Vh.jpg

GKkZTb.jpg

pJAWYe.jpg

RVInmr.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members