Picking up another 12 valve

huntsonora

Explorer
I had a 1994 Dodge 2500 RCLB 4x4 with the 12 valve but sold it 5 years ago when we realized we had a kid on the way. 5 years and 2 kids later I found another one worth owning so I sent the deposit yesterday but won't be heading south to get it until next week. Its a 2 owner truck and I had a family friend go and look at it for me. He gave a good report and I jumped on it

A lot of people consider this one to be the "holy grail" for Dodge diesels because they made so few 1998 12 valves with 5 speed and you get the updated interior with the rear doors. I'm thrilled and I can't wait to fly to NM and get it

frojoe

Adventurer
Holy hell.. a stick shift short bed 1998 12V.. and it's even white like a unicorn too!

Looks to be in incredible shape.. great find and look forward to the many pics to come!

huntsonora

Explorer
Dang sub'd for this! What you planning on?

I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet but I want to build it right and it'll be something I do over the long haul rather than all at once. First thing I'll do is change all the fluids and baseline it so to speak. I'll also be taking a look at frojoe's build as I really like the direction he's gone with his truck. I also want to add an exhaust brake at some point

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck:Wow1:! Thanks for posting pics of your fine rig. I, as many others, are looking forward to seeing what you do with this rig. Just out of curiosity, what did you pay form your new truck? Or is that a secret? Cheers, Chilli....:)

huntsonora

Explorer
Thank you and it's not a secret. The seller was originally asking close to $15k and I ended up buying it for right at $13k. I've bought and sold two Toyotas in the past 6 months and had about $5k in equity in those based on purchase price and sales price so that helped a lot

Had a couple friends tell me they thought at $13k it was too much but thankfully Redthies here on the forum kept me pointed in the right direction and kept me from thinking about it too long.

Here is a list the seller sent me of what's been done to the truck so far...

Modifications:

1. Intake/Exhaust - STOCK intake. The stock intake is best for filtration and cool air. No need to modify. The original exhaust was old, and began to crack so I replaced it. Full 4" from turbo back.

2. Fuel - STOCK injectors, fuel plate moved back. 4gsk governor spring kit.
3. Wheels/Tires - 3rd gen wheels, 285 Nitto Terra Grapplers

4. Interior - *7in flip-out DVD player
*Infinity speakers
*Armrest extension with cup holder and coin tray. VERY nice (see photos).
*Autometer 60psi boost and EGT gauge.
*Husky custom floor liners, top of the line!
*Color matched Suede dash cover

5. Tow mirrors - Heated and fold-out. Like gen 2.5 and gen 3 mirrors. Driver side mirror is cracked.

6. Has new struts and steering dampener, as well as track bar. (was going to keep the truck so I got this done 2 weeks ago! $1,000 job that doesn't have to be done for YEARS for the buyer)

7. Posi-Lock - This replaces stock 4x4 vacuum lines that will eventually crumble and leak. This is a mechanical/manual 4x4 locker that is next to the shift knob in cab. You know when you're in 4x4, CANNOT fail like stock system.

8. Upgraded fuel lines - Genos garage has a fuel line kit that replaces stock lines. My lines were 19yrs old, this was preventative maintenance like items 6, and 7. I NEVER wait until something breaks. I always prevent as much as possible.

All fluids are changed, the truck is ready to drive cross country. Nothing more to do to it. There is NO goose neck connection, never towed a big trailer or 5th wheel.

huntsonora

Explorer
I just sold my 2001 Tacoma to a ranch owner I work with in New Mexico so I'll be headed out early Thursday and will drive the Tacoma to southern NM where I'll pick up the Dodge and will tow the Tacoma on a Uhaul back up to the ranch. I'll kill two birds with one stone, pick up one truck while delivering the other

I hate to part with the Tacoma as it's in great condition but it's a lot easier to find clean Tacomas than it is to find clean 1998 12 valves

My plans right now are to get it home and baseline all the fluids so I know exactly what's in it

I will also see what track bar he recently had installed and make a determination as to what I need to do to the front end. I'm probably going to go with the Thuren 2" soft ride springs, which provide almost 3" of lift on a second gen, and the fox shocks on all 4 corners. I picked up a set of used DT Profab control arms in great condition that are 1/2" longer than stock off CL this weekend. Other than than extended sway bar links I think that'll be what's done first

Last edited:

frojoe

Adventurer
I can't recommend the Thuren setup strongly enough... it just works so well! On my setup the 2" coils netted 2.75", which is right in line with what the Thuren website states.. however I don't have any additional aftermarket spring weight on the front axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne