Fiberglass Hightop Antenna Type and Placement Advice

LukeD

Observer
I am looking to install a CB and 2M antenna on my rig, problem is I don't know if I have enough (or any) ground plane to work with. I thought I would side mount both firestick antennas, 1/4 wave 15" 2m firestik and 3' CB firestik to my fiberglass top. After doing some more reading I may have to buy new NGP antennas

I am already at 10' 10" so top mount is not going to happen

Any advice about antennas and placement is appreciated

Luke

2017-03-18 18.26.41.jpg

prerunner1982

Adventurer
A 1/2 wave antenna is not ground dependent so a 2m 1/2 wave on the driverside fender would work fine, signal would be blocked to the rear but not much you can do about that given your set up. As far as CB antenna a bumper mount would work, may require some braided ground straps to make sure the bumper has a good solid RF connection with the frame of the vehicle. A couple braided ground straps from the frame to the body and the exhaust to the frame would help also. An NGP CB antenna is another option if you have no other choice.

LukeD

Observer
Thanks Jon, I took your advice and installed a 1/2 wave antenna on the driver side using an NMO fender mount. I've also ordered a NGP kit for the CB from rightchannelradios.com and plan to install that on the side of the top sticking up over the roof rack

A 1/2 wave antenna is not ground dependent so a 2m 1/2 wave on the driverside fender would work fine, signal would be blocked to the rear but not much you can do about that given your set up. As far as CB antenna a bumper mount would work, may require some braided ground straps to make sure the bumper has a good solid RF connection with the frame of the vehicle. A couple braided ground straps from the frame to the body and the exhaust to the frame would help also. An NGP CB antenna is another option if you have no other choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94