Flip-Pac Parts Suppliers List? Windows, Torsion Bars, etc.

ET1251

Since FRP has gone out of business, I'm sure many of us with Flippac's are frustrated by how difficult it is to find replacement parts, so I'm starting this thread in hope that people will add to it so that we can all benefit from each others research.

The supplier for new torsion bars is https://swayaway.com/product/flip-pac-torsion-bar/

The rear window in my Flippac recently shattered. Does anyone know who supplied FRP their windows? Advneture Trailers thought it was a RV dealership in Riverside, but I have yet to find them or anyone else that can replace the window for me.

It would be nice if we could get a hold of one of FRP's former employees to get the list from them! I've heard that the former owner's name was Homero P. Montelongo, but I haven't been able to locate his contact information.

ET1251

In answer to my own post, I just got off the phone with Norco Camper Co Inc and a rep there said they are able to get the replacement glass for the back door of the Flippac for about $120. They can also send away to get the whole unit with the locks and struts as well.

He told me that the new owners of FRP are considering reopening their Flippac production, since the old owners of FRP left the warehouse full of parts and just walked when they went belly up. He said that they're working on a new and improved design for the Flippac, but he didn't have any more information. He was told about this from the new owners when they came into his shop to make some inquiries. Hopefully the new owners are following the suggestions on this site. Maybe the Flippac Phoenix will be reborn better than ever? Let's hope.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I busted my rear glass and replaced it with LEXAN from the hardware store...made a cardboard template and the marked the lexan and cut it with a thinner disk on the grinder.

Clutch

<---Pass
I busted my rear glass and replaced it with LEXAN from the hardware store...made a cardboard template and the marked the lexan and cut it with a thinner disk on the grinder.

Had a glass shop make me a piece of glass when my Wildernest glass shattered, wasn't too bad, only $100.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
In answer to my own post, I just got off the phone with Norco Camper Co Inc and a rep there said they are able to get the replacement glass for the back door of the Flippac for about $120. They can also send away to get the whole unit with the locks and struts as well.

He told me that the new owners of FRP are considering reopening their Flippac production, since the old owners of FRP left the warehouse full of parts and just walked when they went belly up. He said that they're working on a new and improved design for the Flippac, but he didn't have any more information. He was told about this from the new owners when they came into his shop to make some inquiries. Hopefully the new owners are following the suggestions on this site. Maybe the Flippac Phoenix will be reborn better than ever? Let's hope.

This is extremely interesting....I could only hope!

I have talked to AT a couple of times and we both agree someone needs to make new hinges for the flippacs because of how many are starting to rust, anyone have any leads on that?

Arclight

SAR guy
This is extremely interesting....I could only hope!

I have talked to AT a couple of times and we both agree someone needs to make new hinges for the flippacs because of how many are starting to rust, anyone have any leads on that?

I could easily have these made from stainless on a water jet. The problem is that it's not exactly a bolt-on install. Aren't those fiberglassed into the lid and body?

Arclight

Acka

hinge

I bought a Flippac with a broken hinge. I designed a replacement that is longer to distribute load farther down the tubes and had it waterjet cut from stainless steel. I did this at the same time as a torsion bar delete, so I didn't have to have the spline machined. I could produce more for people if there is a need. I would need to alter my calculations for the spline and get machining quotes if spline'd hinges are needed.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
I bought a Flippac with a broken hinge. I designed a replacement that is longer to distribute load farther down the tubes and had it waterjet cut from stainless steel. I did this at the same time as a torsion bar delete, so I didn't have to have the spline machined. I could produce more for people if there is a need. I would need to alter my calculations for the spline and get machining quotes if spline'd hinges are needed.

I am very interested in this....

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
Do you have photos or a thread of showing how you replace this? My roommate picked up a 12-year old Flippac for his Tundra a few days ago and I'm talking with two local guys about getting one of their used Flippacs for my 2003 Tacoma short bed. I definitely want to make sure this is a good investment and not a waste of time on an expensive piece of rotting wood and fiberglass.

Also, is there a diagram anywhere that shows what is inside the fiberglass internally? Mostly I'm wondering where to attach awnings and such.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I was told not to bolt through the top square part of the camper. It has a square bar in it, but the fiberglass is not tight on it so the threat of crushing is there.
I bolted mine below it and used as large as backing plates to distribute load as I could.

If you can get the FP at a good price, go for it! Lots of repairable parts now. My tip just keep the caulk at the hinge fresh, I do mine every other year. You will love the vertical sides, so much more storage when traveling!

Do you have photos or a thread of showing how you replace this? My roommate picked up a 12-year old Flippac for his Tundra a few days ago and I'm tlaking with two local guys about getting one of their used Flippacs for my 2003 Tacoma short bed. I definitely want to make sure this is a good investment and not a waste of time on an expensive piece of rotting wood and fiberglass.

Also, is there a diagram anywhere that shows what is inside the fiberglass internally? Mostly I'm wondering where to attach awnings and such.

My dream would be a re-design of the entire FlipPac concept. Better tent structure, hardware, updated torsion bar.... and STRAIGHT fiberglass and modern windopws.... honestly the quality of the fiberglass finish is like a "backyard mechanic" job. Absolutely awesome design/concept but not that great of execution (well maybe is was great 20 years ago - but not by today's standards).

I am at the point of considering making my own complete new design based on this concept (patent expired several years ago).

I will be listening with keen interest about the new "owners"... I'd rather buy than re-design my own....

I would be in for a set of hinges... maybe even two pair. Is anyone (Member: ACKA above?) going to move forward with this? I just bought a FliPac with a broken hinge and would buy at least one set right now.

I have not seen them removed - is the threaded part in the hinge itself? I'm asking because it would be nice to have more slide adjustment. Maybe the "frame" is slightly slotted which would make more sense... I'm all the way on my adjustment on my current rig and it is just barely square in the closed position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles