What GA wire to bed of truck

mightiestmouse

About ready to get my dual battery set up installed and I've come to a point where I am not sure if there is an advantage one way or another.

I will be running my auxiliary fuse block (blue sea 12 circuit) off my house battery. That connection will be made by running 2GA between the two with a 100 amp breaker in between.

The question is this: is there an advantage on where the fuse block is mounted in the truck? I could run the 2GA cable to the bed of the truck or keep it all within the engine bay and run smaller wire (10GA) to the bed for powering the fridge, chargers...etc.

Cost seems to be only thing that might be different between the two. Any input is appreciated.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Layout also depends on how many things you will be connecting in back, or if you want options or room for expansion. Not just your total calculated load back there, but how many disparate things you want to connect. in which case you might do well to run a heavier gauge 'branch circuit' to an aux fuse / distribution panel in the back.

eatSleepWoof2

I used 2GA for everything other than the wires leaving the fuse boxes to individual accessories. Do it once and leave yourself enough room for future expansions.

mightiestmouse

Decided on a game plan:

2 new AGM deep cycle batteries (one as starter, one as house)
Batteries will be isolated through a blue sea 500 amp ML ACR with in cab switch (not sure when I will get around to installing the switch)
House battery will be connected to a 12 circuit fuse block with 100amp breaker in line
All wiring for the setup will be done with 2GA
All accessories from the block will be ran with 10GA
Plan on running a 100W solar panel on my cab at a later date

All that I have left to decide is how big of batteries to buy based on what I will be running. Plan on having the fridge mounted 24/7 in the truck, aux LED camp lights and charging station for phones/camera batteries etc...

DanCooper

Adventurer
"10GA is probably overkill for what I'll be running... you have a recommendation on a more appropriate size GA to run?"

I am amazingly dumb about electrics, so I use the Blue Sea Circuit Wizard app on my iPhone to inform me on the best sizing for the circuit I am running. The only other rule I know and follow is to fuse the major circuit as close to the battery as you can. For me, that means putting a fuse right at the battery post.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
The Blue Sea Fuse block can handle 30AMPs per circuit. If whatever you are powering at the other end needs a full 30 AMPs, youd need a 8 AWG wire for a 15-20ft run (front to back of a truck), with a 3% voltage drop. As long as you can get the cable routed into your fuse block, then I see no issue going with a 8 AWG. Getting into that size of cable leads to large terminal connectors. Most 8 AWG are 5/16 or 1/4, not the #10 or whatever the BS Fuse Block is, so thats something to consider.

I am going to be running wire from my fuse block under the hood to the back of my truck for a fridge. My fridge will draw no more than 3 AMPS. I'll be putting in two 12V sockets that have max capacity of 15 AMPs each. I don't even have two things I'll be pluggin in, but I'll put in two, why not. Depending on what your running, I don't see any issue with going with a 10 AWG. For the sake of terminating my ends into the fuse block/outlet and working with a more flexible cable, I'll run 10 AWG probably.

Here is a helpful chart for 12V wiring.
http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/newsletter/images/DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

Here is a picture of my setup, which is almost identical to what you are wanting to do...

20170222_165428.jpg

Last edited:

mightiestmouse

I won't be running any sort of major power out of the fuse block. Charging cell phones, camera batteries, low Watt LED camp lights, and my ARB50 fridge are all that I foresee at this point. Trying to keep my build pretty simple and not add items just for the sake of adding items as I've seen with a lot of builds.

WrenchMonkey - what protective conduit are you running on your battery cables? Still trying to figure out exactly what I want to use.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
I won't be running any sort of major power out of the fuse block. Charging cell phones, camera batteries, low Watt LED camp lights, and my ARB50 fridge are all that I foresee at this point. Trying to keep my build pretty simple and not add items just for the sake of adding items as I've seen with a lot of builds.

WrenchMonkey - what protective conduit are you running on your battery cables? Still trying to figure out exactly what I want to use.

You'd be fine with 10GA then.

Its just a braided cable sleeving. Really more for aesthetics, but it does provide some abrasion resistance. Behind the radiator where I ran my winch power, I used a split loom, which is a bit more protective and will provide some heat soak protection.

7echo

Adventurer
@wrenchMonkey_ and who ever else might know-

" Most 8 AWG are 5/16 or 1/4, not the #10 or whatever the BS Fuse Block is, so thats something to consider."

Looking around I do not find a lug for larger cable that has the hole to fit the #10 or #12 studs. What are the options in that case, or where can we find that size lug?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94