ZULANDR - 1994 Isuzu Trooper - Louisiana

Gumbeaux

Hey guys -

It was recommended that I come over here and introduce myself! My name is Zack, and I own this 1994 Isuzu Trooper that I am doing a mild overland build with.

So this is technically my second Isuzu Trooper. About 4 months ago, I purchased a 93 Trooper S Automatic for $250. I managed to get it running and driving well, and began to modify it, adding Superwinch hubs and beginning to stockpile a load of parts for it.

Unfortunately, about 2 months ago - it became apparent the long term prospects of the 4L30 automatic werent too great, and I sold it.
That same evening, I drove 2 hours and purchased a 1994 Trooper S 5-Speed off of a Craigslist ad in New Orleans, LA.

This is the 2nd Trooper the night I picked her up:
G6BFsqh.jpg

jVJ36Oy.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THUS BEGINS ZULANDR'S JOURNEY.

As it worked out, I was not able to have both Troopers together at the same time to exchange parts, so the new Trooper has some cosmetic issues that need tending to. Most notably rashed paint, and a busted out rear door window that someone did a good job of replacing with Lexan sheet.

As I mentioned, I had already begun amassing parts to put together a functional overland rig that would be acceptable as a travel vehicle and a daily driver (albeit with crap fuel economy.)

- I purchased a Yakima Megawarrior rack, and added two mid-basket extensions. This should give me a basket with full coverage across the roof.
- Additionally, I purchased the Yakima Hi-Lift Jack Mount, Shovel Mount, and 4 Lighting Mount Brackets. (I will be running 7" KC HiLiTES across the front)
- I opted for the Surco Products TR100 roof mounting adapters and 53" roof rails.
- Went with a sPOD relay management system. I will be mounting the switchblock on the shifter surround between the shifter and the center console.
- On Facebook, I found a gentleman in Iceland who makes well-built rear door ladders for $150USD shipped to your door. I purchased one. (It is currently primered, I need to sand and spray black)
- I opted for a set of Falken Wildpeak ATW3 tires in 285/75/16, and painted a set of stock steel wheels.
- I will be rebuilding the front and rear suspension. I am completely replacing the front upper control arms, rebushing the front lower arms, new ball joints, sway bar end links with greaseable poly sway bushings. In addition, I decided on doing an Old Man Emu lift - using 929 Springs and Nitrocharger shocks.
- Adding a snorkel.

As you can see, the pile of stuff continues to grow -

Eati5ev.jpg

vceZpvW.jpg

SoDFYwA.jpg

EWapLTd.jpg

The first real modification I've had time to do was the wheels and tires. I used Rustoleum Metallic Copper on the wheels with grey primer underneath. I had the wheels sandblasted prior to painting.
The Falkens were a ***** to mount to the wheels - my tire shop buddy said these steel wheels dont have much of a stepdown, so its tough to work the tire on. However, the tires/wheels alone did a number on improving the look of this rig!

KfnpXKp.jpg

S1HYGLC.jpg

In addition, I figured little details always help, so I decided to ditch the body color & chrome exterior door handles, and go with some textured black replacement handles made by Dorman.
They look well made and should help give a little bit more visual toughness.

oaykc8.jpg

Also painted my ladder and installed it

17191454_10154549981288668_1725508743617817125_n.jpg

I used the TR100 Trooper Rack adapter from Surco, which is the only company that makes a bracket to fit the factory boltholes. I also went with the Surco 53" crossbars to make life easier with using the Surco mounts.

2UoXlzQ.jpg

I ended up using a Yakima Megawarrior basket with TWO mid-section extensions. (I had planned on only using one, but when I went to install the Yakima retaining clamps, I did not have enough room - the crossbars ended up being nearly the length of the rack apart. The 2nd extension made life easier, and it doesn't look TOO awkward.)

Gumbeaux

Heres the first installed picture of the rack.
b5fgu8.jpg

Once the rack was installed, along with the 60" Hi-Lift, I decided to up my awning game with an ARB 2500MM awning. Basically 8.5' by 8.5' coverage area. Took a few hours to build brackets for it, but it mounted tight and works great.

VBOoSw9b0a1DnvDAC7fL-yMdA5gKq55TovaDcvbDwkE.jpg

Purchased a snorkel kit originally to go on my first Trooper, but finally got to install it on this trooper. Got it from Australia, for about $120USD after factoring in how poorly the Australian dollar is doing at the moment.
Snapped this photo after it was installed.

34ouc6x.jpg

bi9so4.jpg

The next project as of today (4-5-17) is to do the full Old Man Emu lift, and replace/rebuild the entire front suspension.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Nice! Good call on the shocks, they have always served me well.

If you are going to dig deep into the front suspension, let me throw an idea out there: in 95 Isuzu widened the track on the Trooper by 2", offering better stability and longer IFS control arms for better ride and liftability. It isn't too difficult to upgrade your Trooper to the wide track suspension (I did this on my old 93 Trooper). You just have to swap 4 parts per side: Upper control arms, lower ball joints, tie rods, and CV axles. You can make the rear match with wheel spacers or swap in an axle from a 95-97 Trooper. Just something to think about. I'm sure she will serve you well either way!

Gumbeaux

Thanks dude! I'm pretty sure you gave me some encouragement over at PlanetIsuzoo as well!

I think I am going to keep the midtrack suspension, since I had already bought all the new parts, except for CV axles that I don't want to change since they are in good shape.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Understandable.

You can use wheels with less backspacing and achieve some of the same results, stability-wise.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Welcome to the portal! I'm on the planet also same name. I've got 2 zu's a 97 ROWDAYO and my 88 Trooper II Christine.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Looking good! Definitely interested to see how it looks once the OME stuff goes in.

Gumbeaux

Looking good! Definitely interested to see how it looks once the OME stuff goes in.

Thanks man! Me too. I am focusing on tackling as much maintenance stuff as I can right now before I knock out the suspension upgrades. I did brakes and front wheel bearings today.

Gumbeaux

Bolted up my Yakima Spareride. I think that with the 33" tire, Spareride, and a bike, I am probably pushing the upper limit of what the tire carrier can support.

2vkxjqq.jpg

balexander87

Observer
Bolted up my Yakima Spareride. I think that with the 33" tire, Spareride, and a bike, I am probably pushing the upper limit of what the tire carrier can support.

2vkxjqq.jpg

Our '90 Trooper developed cracks on the interior of the rear door just below the window in the center where supports are welded between the interior and exterior panels reinforcing the tire carrier. This was after 250k miles, many of which were spent driving entirely too fast on washboarded dirt roads. This was with the stock wheel/tire setup.

Gumbeaux

Our '90 Trooper developed cracks on the interior of the rear door just below the window in the center where supports are welded between the interior and exterior panels reinforcing the tire carrier. This was after 250k miles, many of which were spent driving entirely too fast on washboarded dirt roads. This was with the stock wheel/tire setup.

Yeah, I think this one will hold up OK but I definitely wouldnt try hanging bikes back there had I went to a 35" tire. Also, closing the door with a bike on the rack has become awkward, with the addition of the ladder rack on the flip door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier