The AKPostal

Lucky j

Explorer
Ok, this I do not get.

Why carrying the spare inside and the stuff outside. I do not think that you will need the rack on a DD situation. You could si ply have smaller modular rack on each side of the spare for the extra stuff.

akpostal

Adventurer
Ok, this I do not get.

Why carrying the spare inside and the stuff outside. I do not think that you will need the rack on a DD situation. You could si ply have smaller modular rack on each side of the spare for the extra stuff.

Its how I wanted it set up. Most of what Ill want to get to easily is on the rack. In 27 years of driving Ive had 1 flat tire.

It is odd though, with my XJ and ZJ I wanted a rear carrier. With the JK I want the spare inside.

In the end its how I want to do things.

Lucky j

Explorer
Its how I wanted it set up.

In the end its how I want to do things.

To that, I have to agree, we do thing the way we each want and I respect that. But to me, it is still a bit weird. I have had many falt tires whille offroading and driving in my life, from a lost bead to a plaine flat tire. I mostly reset the bead on the spot w/o using my spare or plug it and inflate on the spot. Faster than changing a tire, but when I need a spare for something not fixanle, I like to have it handy and do not want to trow a dirty or smelly tire back in a rig.

And it is now easy, with all the organizing ideas out there to organize stuff to make everything quickly accessible.

But like you say, we make things happend the way we want it.

So good job on this! :smiley_drive:

akpostal

Adventurer
Seems like a JKU would serve you well. Regardless, I like that dash set-up.

Cheers

Thanks but I like my 2 door.

Lucky j said:
do not want to throw a dirty or smelly tire back in a rig.

My XJ and ZJ had the tire in the cab. I plan on a tire cover once I figure out how to mount it in the JK.

And it is now easy, with all the organizing ideas out there to organize stuff to make everything quickly accessible.

But like you say, we make things happen the way we want it.

So good job on this! :smiley_drive:

This was an inexpensive, strong way to get what I wanted.

ETA: I still need to get the kitchen box set up in the Action Packer, I can pull the outer pin before opening the gate and then remove the AP with the gate open. I have a Front Runner Table to install on the gate for cooking and drink prep.

The tire in the back will still take less floor space then the other gear, more space for my dog.

Last edited:

akpostal

Adventurer
Finally got the Morryde HD hinges installed. They dont open as wide as the stock hinges do, the rear glass rubs on the rack.

Im gonna have to push the rack out before putting in the third bracket for the rack.

18076543_675332929331707_270934731530739811_o.jpg

18033825_675332915998375_8710171535838091371_n.jpg

Last edited:

akpostal

Adventurer
Pushed the rack out 1/2-3/4" to clear the glass, but now if I add the third bracket on the Morryde hinge Ill only get one bolt into the rack.

18076940_676678625863804_3526709292987907016_o.jpg

The rack is plenty strong as it is on the spare tire mounts.

Since Im now going to mount my CB antenna up front, I tossed my 15 year old camp chair up there, just need some straps.

18076634_676678659197134_2393197439319187249_o.jpg

akpostal

Adventurer
Added extra bolts to the ammo cans to lock them down and keep from rattling.

Finally added the third bracket to the HD hinges.

18155906_680401248824875_6811455082609155318_o.jpg

I want to add a 2 locking sliding shelves to the rack. On the passenger side it would slide out and on the drivers side it would slide in to be used when the gate is open.

Last edited:

PhulesAU

Explorer
I know it probably not in you plan, but I'd recommend a base loaded antenna up front. Say at the rear of the hood line or side of the hood close to it. Your performance will be better and at crawling speed it will remind you of overhead obstructions.

akpostal

Adventurer
I plan on getting the Retrofit Offroad Rotopax fender mount, and for daily use mount a 102" whip and spring there.

akpostal

Adventurer
Just ordered a new raft so need a roof rack. Before I gave my ZJ away I yanked the rack.

I threw the rack up there so its not bolted in yet, I want to get the raft first to see how best to fit the rack.

18320889_684403605091306_3000819006464480395_o.jpg

My 9' cataraft fit fine on my Cj8, XJ, and ZJ.

Not my boat but the same model but mine is 30 years old.
Outcast-Fishcat-9IR-2T.jpg

The raft I have coming, its a little wider.
Outcast-Fishcat-Panther-2T.jpg

Plus the rack gives me a place to mount an ax, shovel, and bow saw.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice thing about your rack is it sets in from the edge of the roof, so it's less likely to snag branches and such. You could always attach longer bars to the stock bars as needed to handle the raft.
Maybe build a cradle for the raft that clamps to the rack, making life even easier for loading/unloading.

akpostal

Adventurer
Wound up ordering a Rhino Rack Back Bone so the weight isnt all on the hard top. Plus the width of the new raft is wider then the old boat and is wider the the hard top as well.

Hopefully my neighbor was serious about buying my 16' raft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94