The AKPostal

akpostal

Adventurer
I doubt there would be enough demand for an inside spare mount like this to make it a product, but if I hear enough interest in the idea maybe I'll make a proof-of-concept prototype.

Ill get the roll bar clamp and MORryde carrier ordered today, Once my neighbor is back from Coldfoot he can do a one off, or proof of concept. Needs to be adjustable up and down like I said for different sized tires. I could probably borrow a JKU to do a same style mount.

If he cant do it Ill sell the parts and stick with the straps. The straps are actually rated to 1500#.

akpostal

Adventurer
So reading your last post here had me remember that one of the club members down here with a 2 door just had a buddy design a tire carrier inside his Jeep. I do not have any pics with the spare tire on but this is what he designed. It is elevated so not sure if that makes any issues or not for you but this is how he wanted to carry his spare. Maybe this may help or maybe not for you.

Thats pretty cool but looks like it would take up more room then I have planned.

akpostal

Adventurer
InsideSpareMount_zpsb8mdtl3f.jpg

After looking everything over I think ill stick with the straps.

Ill still see what my neighbor can come up with the MORryde mount inside as I already have it and the roll bar clamp on order, I still think there could be a market for an inside tire mount for the JK or JKU. I

t would be better on the passenger side since the gas tank is on the drivers side. He is a very good fabricator.

Im forgetting something for this bit this work,

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
After looking everything over I think ill stick with the straps.
Sorry I bothered you with the design sketch then.

t would be better on the passenger side since the gas tank is on the drivers side. He is a very good fabricator.

There's a little more room on the passenger side because the latch housing on the tailgate sticks out pretty far on the driver's side.

akpostal

Adventurer
Sorry I bothered you with the design sketch then.

Ive already ordered the parts to do this, so Ill have my neighbor do up the mount as I like your idea but just needs to be adjustable for tire size. I think others would like this also.

There's a little more room on the passenger side because the latch housing on the tailgate sticks out pretty far on the driver's side.

Ill have him look into this mount there as well, he is a pretty good fabricator.

I like your idea, I just think strapping it in will give me more room.

Heck, I may like your mount better then the straps, as it is it would be a cleaner mounting solution as long as its adjustable for different sized tires. ,

It's just having two spares with your design might not give my dog enough room.

Ill have to see what my neighbor can come up with the first mount.

Thanks for the thinking.

Last edited:

akpostal

Adventurer
Scherb, since I have the parts ordered, Ill have my neighbor see at making it adjustable for height and forward and back adjustments to work with the JK and JKU..

The straps work for me but I want to try this out. This should be an easy project for my neighbor.

akpostal

Adventurer
New Crager Soft 8s 15x8 with the 33" Cooper STT Pros, and new 1.5" hub centric spacers.. The 4" backspace wouldn't fit over the calipers.

21122416_753480028183663_9107176947649832944_o.jpg

21083251_753480021516997_1328895647435060627_o.jpg

21199441_753480008183665_2319275126106441107_o.jpg

Sorry for the finger in the pics.

akpostal

Adventurer

Scherb, my neighbor isnt back yet but Ive been looking at your drawing a lot, and still waiting on parts.

The bottom plate could clamp or U-bolt to the rear seat clamps, at least on the JK.

21078531_753495264848806_2259163039776557832_n.jpg

Ild have to borrow a JKU, or get good pics and measurements for the JKU mount for my neighbor to work with once he gets back.

With a tire cover like yours, I still think this could be a product for a spare tire inside the cab.

There are a lot of people running with the spare tire delete, I really think this could be an option.

I dont know if you posted your drawing in one of your threads, so Im going to double post it, I think there may be an interest in the idea.

akpostal

Adventurer
I was out doing some measurements with my current tire and rim, what I have on order, and the stock carrier.

I think the Retrofit Off Road rear tire mount would have to be cut down to 6"-6.5" to fit right with what I have and am thinking, maybe shorter, and could probably be made adjustable for rim back spacing, I just dont have the skills, I dont have it yet so we will have to get it to fit it right and weld up to some angle iron and a lower plate to clamp to the rear seat mounts. This is all to make a JK or JKU inside tire mount, this may only work with the JK. I need to look at a JKU with the rear see removed.

Im kind of going nuts waiting for my neighbor to get back and look at this project for a proof of concept. I do think a strap over the tire would be a good idea even though Scherb's design looks dang strong, I think some O-ring bolts can be added to the clamps to the rear seat mounts easily, as I dont run a rear seat.

With a stock, or narrower tire then I have, this would give 17-20" between the tires if you mount two inside, maybe more or less room. Ild have to remeasure for a single spare, stock or what Im running. I think with my tires Ill have about 14" between the tires if I have two back there, it's still enough room for my dog as everything else goes on the back rack or in the trailer.

XJs and ZJs, Ive had both, have always come stock with a spare inside the cabin so I dont see why there wouldnt be a market for this in a JK or JKU Again this may only work with a JK. With the Retrofit Off Road Tire covers I dont see a problem with the idea of having a spare in the cab.

Yes I'm kind of obsessing on this idea. I just need the parts I have on order and my neighbor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles