Long Way Up....2009

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, one thing is for sure - they made "overlanding" much more popular and helped facilitate my borders crossing...

Several times the agents at various border asked us about the movie (they had seen it) and some of them even meet the guys when they did the Long Way Down. They now understand much better the kind of trip we are doing.

Christian
www.2aroundtheworld.com

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I also agree with Ruffin'It comments.

They only thing I would say though is that 83 days to drive from London to Cape Town is not enough - at all. It took me 7-8 months and I still feel like I was rushing it sometimes. I think that probably was their biggest complaint and they were right, they should have taken more time. But with the money involved and their schedule, they probably couldn't.

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
Anyone know if Long Way Up happened at all? got cancelled? didn't finish or something????

If they came through I wold have like to see them!

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
also Charlie has another book of a trip he did with Russ...its called By any Means. they go from the UK to Australia by any means possible...with the exception of commercial air plane. great trip!

Chris

You can get Charlie Boormans DVD of By Any Means and its really good,better than the others he done with Mcgregor(not that I dont like Mcgregor )
Not sure if its for north american release ,but you can get it on Amazon and probably ebay.
Its got some genuinely funny bits in it. The journey starts at Charlies father house who is director John Boorman.
I think they used about 134 different types of transport with Charlie driving them where laws and practicality allow.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Looks like there is another after By Any Means called Sydney to Tokyo

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BY-ANY-MEANS...AU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows?hash=item3efa13f523

Last year Charley set off from his childhood home in Ireland and made his way across the globe, using over 100 different forms of transport before successfully finishing the expedition in Sydney, Australia.

From Sydney to Tokyo By Any Means follows the adventurer extraordinaire as he rides, rows and flies his way 9, 500 miles north from his last stop in Sydney up the Pacific Rim to Japan's capital, Tokyo.

Using quad bikes, hovercrafts, wooden scooters, canoes, para-gliders and of course his favourite mode of transport - motorbike - Charley travels across vibrant cities, treacherous seas and impenetrable jungle and experiences some of the world's most stunning and diverse countries and cultures. Along the way he encounters fascinating people in some of the most isolated communities. He meets and makes friends with everyone from surfer dudes in Australia to Tribal leaders in Papua New Guinea and learns of the history, religions and ways of life of the local people he is with.

mcgovski

Adventurer
Another cool thing about the support vehicles is...well the SUPPORT VEHICLES. those Mitsubishis proved themselves very well in long way round, and the Nissans where awesome in long way down...I cant say the same for the X5 in race to dakar....oh and the Kamaz doing all those river crossings...what armchair overlander didnt love those scenes? I told my wife I was going to find a 6x6....she punched me, but that is another story.

Ruffin it nailed it.

get out there and do something! enjoy it, share it and do it again!!!!!

Chris

I want to add a note to Ruffin'it's post...

To me and many of my close motorcycling companions, we were all inspired by the Long Way series. Sure, the guys were followed by a full support crew with an unlimited budget and CAMERA, but if they didnt, we wouldnt be here discussing their adventure. Some say they arent adventurers? Hell, look at a lot of US citizens, I've met people who havent been out of the state of Louisiana, and Mexico may as well be in Africa... across the ocean.

People dont know what they are missing sometimes. I've not been all over the world, but have been to Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, and very briefly a couple other CA countries. I enjoy sharing my experiences with other folks who may have preconceived notions about traveling south. Then when i tell them that I've ridden a motorbike in Mexico, their eyes light up and get the size of grapefruits....

Thats when its really fun to explain how being on a motorcycle stimulates your senses so greatly. The sights, the vibrations of the bike, the sweat, the SMELLS. Oh my God, the smells are incredible. A lot of people in Mexico cook with wood, so the smells of burning wood and unidentified meats being grilled on open pits is intoxicating.

And its not always roses. On my first trip to Mexico, I went solo and had a bloody scary time and decided to turn around due to some mechanical trouble. I crossed the border into a major border town slum, and got a full glimpse of all the trash and stinch of diesel exhaust.

I'll end it with this.... it's not the adventure that everyone else wants, it about what you want and get out of your adventure. Even Ewan was filmed telling all the folks who talked down on their first trip to ******** off. I agree. You're no better than they are and the reciprocal.

Check these out....
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=531614668401#/video/video.php?v=531634224211
http://www.facebook.com/scottbrownadventurer?v=app_2392950137&ref=profile#/video/video.php?v=531621664381

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=531614668401#/video/video.php?v=531687717011

Last edited:

mcgovski

Adventurer
Vehicle support would be required even if you arent famous. How else could you carry supplies for maintaining the bike? You cant just roll up to the moto shop and pick up some motorex out in the middle of mongolia let alone parts...the oil change interval on these bikes are like every 1000miles and filters every other change.

chris

Vehicle support would be required even if you arent famous. How else could you carry supplies for maintaining the bike? You cant just roll up to the moto shop and pick up some motorex out in the middle of mongolia let alone parts...the oil change interval on these bikes are like every 1000miles and filters every other change.

chris

Sure you can. People do it all the time.

You obviously didnt watch Long Way Round. In the middle of Mongolia, they fubarred the ABS system on Claudio's BMW and he had to buy another bike and ship the BMW to Ulaanbataar to be fixed.

You've got to plan ahead and know what your bike's limits are. Obviously a bike that requires an oil change every 1000 miles isnt the best choice. Sure you can do it, but you would have to compromise. Change the oil 1500-2000 miles and carry your spares. If you are referencing your 640A to only being able to go 1000 miles on an oil change you've got too much money to spend..... check out these crazy suckers.... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239330

It can, has, and will be done- with less and for less.

mcgovski

Adventurer
Obviously a bike that requires an oil change every 1000 miles isnt the best choice.

obviously, you dont ride motorcyles...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94