Huenersdorff 47L Aluminum Box Unboxing/First Impressions/Review

SnoViking

Adventurer
Hey Folks, (Back Story....) So I started looking for a box to hold all my kitchen/cooking gear for when we camp. We mostly camp in national/state parks in established camp ground and rarely cook vehicle-side. This results in me transporting all my kitchen/cooking gear to and from the truck to the camp table (and back). I built a set of drawers for my truck and organized all my kitchen/cook gear in them..... and they work great.... but the gear is nicely organized in the drawer, in the truck, and not by the camp table.... So I began to search for a suitable sized box. I first considered a Pelican Case (1610). These can be had for about $120 used through eBay or Craigslist. I currently use two Pelican 1600 cases on my roof rack for clothes when we travel so I was familiar with the product. But the 1610 weighs almost 20lbs empty and the exterior size is huge compared to the interior volume. So I started looking into the Alubox and Zarges products. These boxes have a lot going for them. They're light-weight, the interior/exterior volume is much better than a Pelican case, they look good, but they're d@mn expensive. I need 40-50 liters of volume to fit all the kitchen/cook gear so I started looking at the 42 and 47 liter boxes. The Zarges box goes for about $280 and the Alubox goes for about $240 online in those sizes. That was a bit too high for my comfort zone for a box.... even a shiny box.

So I looked around for alternative aluminum boxes....... and came up empty.... Apparently Alubox and Zarges has got the lock-down on tin-foiled boxes in the US....... I expanded my search and stumbled upon Amazon UK. Alas.... lots of aluminum boxes all very similar to the Zarges and Alubox offerings. They have bozes from 29L up to 160L in various different size configurations, brands, qualities, aluminium thicknesses (more on this later), and prices. But I found about 90% of them not importable to the US. But that left 10% for me to pick from. Even with the weak dollar compared to the Euro, the prices were sooo much cheaper!

I "settled" on the Huenersdorff 47L Aluminum Box. There were only two options in the 47L range that I could import and I liked the reinforced lid design better on this one. (Here is the other one. This one had thicker aluminum but a less reinforced lid.... go figure...)

DRdKHIL.jpg

Price: Let's get the purchase price out of the way before I start reviewing this thing..... I got the box for $55 euros plus $22 euros for shipping. That equated to about $82US. And that was Amazon Prime. I ordered it on Tuesday, and had it on Friday, all the way from the little island of UK. So for $82 I felt it was a steal! (I found a warehouse deal, but the regular price is $72 euros - about $105 US shipped <-- still a steal in my opinion.....)

Initial thoughts: It felt a little thin and light. Maybe too thin and light? But upon comparing some specs and info on the web it specs out comparibly to the Zarges cases and Alubox Sports in aluminum thickness and overall weight. Maybe I'm just used to the "heft" of Pelican cases. This box weighs in right around 7lbs on my shipping scale.

Initial Quality: It is made with 0.8mm aluminum and has a reinforced lip around the lid and bottom. The handles, hinges, and latches feel surprisingly beefy. The lid and bottom portion feel a bit thin but the body feel very sturdy. There are no cast corners to help in stacking or durability. The webbing that is attached to the lid/body is decent and doesn't feel/look cheap. All the rivets are tight and appear to be set fairly well. I read some reviews on other boxes that said the rivets worked loose. I plan on keeping a keen eye on the rivets. I also like that you can purchase the optional lock kit. This kit was about $25 euros (not terrible).

My plan (even before I bought a box) was the make a wooden (cutting board style) top for the box to help distribute the force of anything on top of it and that's my weekend project. I'm not sure (nor do I want to test) if the lid would deform if I used it as a step stool...... I don't think it would fare the same as a Pelican 1610..... But I think with a few "upgrades" it will turn into a decent little chuck box.

The box measures our very similarly to the Alubox 42L (but an inch taller). So far I'm pretty happy with it. I'll keep updating this thread as I use the case and see how it fares. If someone is in the Philly area who has an Alubox 42 or Zarges and wants to get together for a one-to-one comparison it would be awesome! I've only seen Alubox online or from afar (on top of peoples rigs...) and have no first hand experience with them. So I can't (and won't) say this box (or that box) is better or worse. All I'm saying is here's a 47L aluminum box for less money..... that may or may not work..... You be your own judge...

Now on to the pictures!

QLaMMok.jpg

cFekhxB.jpg

QbEwd31.jpg

Jur3QW3.jpg

qOVd6uS.jpg

ug0ZgU9.jpg

QbEwd31.jpg

RSN840Y.jpg

Am6U8X5.jpg

ptJMJal.jpg

135WAo9.jpg

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Very nice - been looking for boxes like that as well.

Are the lids removable? I guess the stop strap would need to be released then - that can be very handy especially if you make a cutting board attached to the top of it (which is a great idea!)

Thanks.

SnoViking

Adventurer
Very nice - been looking for boxes like that as well.

Are the lids removable? I guess the stop strap would need to be released then - that can be very handy especially if you make a cutting board attached to the top of it (which is a great idea!)

Thanks.

Nope. The lid is affixed. I was planning on using some of the 3M industrial Velco to attached the "cutting board" top to the lid. This way It can be easily removed but still be secure.

SEREvince

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up. I checked it out on your link and it says "no US shipping" so I looked around an then figured I'd try it out anyway. It worked no problem. $106 shipped.

Update: For some reason Amazon.uk is not accepting my payment? Says card declined. It's the same card as my Amazon.com account, and I've had no issues using it. Only thing I can think of is when it asked me if I wanted to pay in $ or lbs. I chose $.

Last edited:

SnoViking

Adventurer
I mocked up and stained a piece of 1/4" birch plywood I had laying around. I was going to make it into a cutting board but in the end I just polyed it a high gloss. It should hold up nicely to some abuse.

GbFVcip.jpg

Last edited:

SnoViking

Adventurer
Update: For some reason Amazon.uk is not accepting my payment? Says card declined. It's the same card as my Amazon.com account, and I've had no issues using it. Only thing I can think of is when it asked me if I wanted to pay in $ or lbs. I chose $.

Hmmm. I can't remember what currency I selected. It may be worth your time to do a chat with Amazon. They're always really good at helping that way.

SEREvince

Adventurer
Hmmm. I can't remember what currency I selected. It may be worth your time to do a chat with Amazon. They're always really good at helping that way.

I canceled the order and started over. Funny enough I picked priority shipping this time and the total was cheaper. $103 lol! I also selected to pay in GBP. We'll see what happens.

I also happened to find this same item/ manufacturer on Alibaba. They offer it in .08 and 1mm versions. Would be interesting to see what price point a US retailer could bring these to market. I'd be willing to bet even at 100% mark-up they'd still be the cheapest option available.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Do these stack, is the lid lip sized so the bottom of another one nests inside it?

Last edited:

SnoViking

Adventurer
I also happened to find this same item/ manufacturer on Alibaba. They offer it in .08 and 1mm versions. Would be interesting to see what price point a US retailer could bring these to market. I'd be willing to bet even at 100% mark-up they'd still be the cheapest option available.

I saw the same thing but I think the lowest quantity for ordering was either 30 or 100 units. Plus don't forget shipping, import taxes, and logistics to pick-up/move them from a coastal port (They're probably shipped in a container). A few guys went through the same exercise with roof top tents. I think most of them ended up coming to the conclusion it would have been easier to just pay the extra money to get one that's already here.....

Do these stack, is the lid lip sized so the bottom of another one nests inside it?

Yep. That's one of the first things I checked (I measured the ID of the bottom lip and the OD of the top lip).

I'm probably going to end up ordering one more for dry food storage. I'm in the process of redoing my rear cargo area.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I found a few other similar German brands, I'm going to look into importing a bulk order

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SnoViking

Adventurer
I found a few other similar German brands, I'm going to look into importing a bulk order

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Let me know what you find out. Depending on the price per unit after imported I may be interested in going in. I'm up in PA but end up down in NC a few times a year for business.

Rourke7982

I would be interested also in picking up a couple. Thanks for doing this research and putting it out there. I pulled the trigger on one of the boxes last week and it looks like it will be here next week. I am already regretting not purchasing more.

wildorange

Observer
@SnoViking

Really glad I stumbled on your thread, I've never heard of Huenersdoff boxes but as an owner of several Peli's & a couple of rough looking Zarges a cheaper but usable alternative is always welcome.

Thanks for the review

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior