Building an expedition vehicle, Who makes the box?

Buffalobwana

Observer
I am going to build an expedition vehicle on the M923A2 (military 5-ton). First step, the box. Yeah, I can build one, but it would look like a home made box. And cost 70% or so of a professionally made box.

I want a professional looking box. Proper doors and windows. Custom shell. I'll worry about building out the inside. That, I can handle.

I have sent a message to two of the vendors here for info, pricing. Bahn Camper Works And Total Composites.

I like the looks of both, but, I am sure there are others I should look at. Can someone steer me to other manufacturers to consider? Preferably North America, for a couple reasons. Shipping and visiting the plant to see their product.

Thanks!

Darwin

Explorer
xpeditioncamper.com, he is currently building up a unit now to show at Expo. I saw it in person and it looked liked it could really take a beating, and it sounds like it should be priced pretty reasonable.

Buffalobwana

Observer
That's a pretty darn good idea. You could even take an ambulance in good condition and use it as your camper van! If only I didn't NEED a 6 wheel drive earthroamer!!!

Two boxes, cut ends off and made into one long box would make a very nice box. I'm looking for about 16' of box space and an ambulance is probably 12' maybe?? But, I could settle for less and make a storage area out of the remaining room. Or chop it and lengthen it

Ok, I'll look into this. I also know where there is a tractor trailer, trailer only salvage yard. It's halfway between me and my ranch. I could haul my tractor down there and pick up a box if I found one.

Part of me wants to go cheap and do it this way (ambulance or tractor trailer wrecked box). The other half of me recognizes the value in a properly built box. Time saved, resale value, looks function etc.

If I build it properly, it can be removed and put on most of the 939 series military trucks. And there are a lot of them. The box would be more valuable than the truck, if done right!

Truck breaks, just buy new truck and put box on new truck. I have two trucks now. I just sold my third one to a friend ... ah decisions.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Darwin,

Thanks. I sent xpeditioncamper.com a message with some specs to see what they had. Ironically, the exterior of theirs looks sort of like an ambulance.

Right now nothing is off the table. I am always tempted to take on a big DIY project, for fun and to save $, but there is a strong desire to just leapfrog ahead one year and have a professionally built box ready to finish out.

Any other guys to look at?

Coachgeo

Explorer
That's a pretty darn good idea. You could even take an ambulance in good condition and use it as your camper van! If only I didn't NEED a 6 wheel drive earthroamer!!!

Two boxes, cut ends off and made into one long box would make a very nice box. I'm looking for about 16' of box space and an ambulance is probably 12' maybe??....
Box I am using is off an Ambulance. It is 14.5 feet long.
Construction specs-
Frame Tubes- 2 x 2 x 1/8” in wall & ceiling,
Supports- wall 16” on center*, roof 12” on center.
Floor tubes are 3 x 3 x ¼”,
Floor in plywood with a built is sound deadener

came off of something like this
2010-freightliner-wheeled-coach-m2-106-nice-clean-truck-201390314942-0.jpg

dlh62c

Explorer
Have you considered a Morgan Cargo Body?

https://www.morgancorp.com/dry-freight/nexgen/features.php

They have their own engineering team and will answer any questions you might have. They will ship without a rear door and supply the material to close it off.

Last edited:

zuke

Adventurer
Medium Ambulance boxes are around 14' , You could mount it up towards the cab, and build a small porch off the back... Or move it towards the back and turn the two feet left between into a water closet...

Silverado08

Observer
I am going to build an expedition vehicle on the M923A2 (military 5-ton). First step, the box. Yeah, I can build one, but it would look like a home made box. And cost 70% or so of a professionally made box.

I want a professional looking box. Proper doors and windows. Custom shell. I'll worry about building out the inside. That, I can handle.

I have sent a message to two of the vendors here for info, pricing. Bahn Camper Works And Total Composites.

I like the looks of both, but, I am sure there are others I should look at. Can someone steer me to other manufacturers to consider? Preferably North America, for a couple reasons. Shipping and visiting the plant to see their product.

Thanks!
Have you heard of Total Composites ?
They sell insulated plastic panels that asemble to make a camper box,,or even build one for you,located in Victoria BC
I think?
Sorry have no link,but they also post here so try searching for it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94