Thread: Swing Fire Gas Heater on Unimog 404 Operation

Default Swing Fire Gas Heater on Unimog 404 Operation

I have a restored 1965 404 gas Unimog with a radio box camper. It has a swing fire (schwingfeuer) gas heater, above the cab that I am modifying for the spring camping season. The heater has not be used by me or in several years. Not sure how it operates on the vehicle although I have viewed the several youtube videos of the device removed. Does anyone know the starting/operating procedures and dangers of this gas heater.

Unimog.jpg

I like that pop-top radio box. There is probably old gas residue in the tank and lines. Tank will come off to clean filter in top.

First rule with these heaters, by the time you pump enough to start it, you will be warm! Although some people are better at starting theirs than I am!!
    1994 LMTV with Alaskan 10' NCO camper, 1988 U-1300L Unimog with 10' Alaskan camper, 1957 404 Mog, 1965 404 Unimog radio truck, 1970 404 Mog, 1970 406 mog, 1972 406 Mog, 1978 406 Mog, 1968 Haflinger, 1952 Willys.

Ham radio WB4ETT (and others) since 1965.

Thanks guys you are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by slillard View Post
    I have a restored 1965 404 gas Unimog with a radio box camper. It has a swing fire (schwingfeuer) gas heater, above the cab that I am modifying for the spring camping season. The heater has not be used by me or in several years. Not sure how it operates on the vehicle although I have viewed the several youtube videos of the device removed. Does anyone know the starting/operating procedures and dangers of this gas heater.

Unimog.jpg
    BUMP. Did you get your Swingfire started OK? I'm familiar with them and reasonably good at starting them. I use one to pre-heat the diesel powerpack (OM321A) that drives the snowblower on my 404.
    2016 F350 flatbed w/ XP camper
    2007 4runner
    1962 Unimog 404 (snowblower)
    Previous: Outfitter Caribou, FWC Eagle