Swing Fire Gas Heater on Unimog 404 Operation

slillard

I have a restored 1965 404 gas Unimog with a radio box camper. It has a swing fire (schwingfeuer) gas heater, above the cab that I am modifying for the spring camping season. The heater has not be used by me or in several years. Not sure how it operates on the vehicle although I have viewed the several youtube videos of the device removed. Does anyone know the starting/operating procedures and dangers of this gas heater.

Unimog.jpg

Tennmogger

Explorer
I like that pop-top radio box. There is probably old gas residue in the tank and lines. Tank will come off to clean filter in top.

First rule with these heaters, by the time you pump enough to start it, you will be warm! Although some people are better at starting theirs than I am!!

I have a restored 1965 404 gas Unimog with a radio box camper. It has a swing fire (schwingfeuer) gas heater, above the cab that I am modifying for the spring camping season. The heater has not be used by me or in several years. Not sure how it operates on the vehicle although I have viewed the several youtube videos of the device removed. Does anyone know the starting/operating procedures and dangers of this gas heater.

View attachment 395256

BUMP. Did you get your Swingfire started OK? I'm familiar with them and reasonably good at starting them. I use one to pre-heat the diesel powerpack (OM321A) that drives the snowblower on my 404.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles