AEV Recruit - AEV does the RAM 1500

b9ev

Adventurer
Every time I see a snorkel I wonder if the driver actually uses it for water and then I move on with life. Many people probably look at my truck and think "bro truck". I don't care how people accessorize their vehicles and I don't care what people think of mine.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think so!

No stacks or snorkels here either...but I will take the rest of it.

They can have the whole package, not into bracket lifts. At least they could of done was some UCA's and coil overs. The package just seems like expensive badge kit for looks.

I do like that winch bumper, though.

Every time I see a snorkel I wonder if the driver actually uses it for water and then I move on with life. Many people probably look at my truck and think "bro truck". I don't care how people accessorize their vehicles and I don't care what people think of mine.

I used to be into modified vehicles...now not so much. Just want it to work, and haul my dirt bikes.

As I have gotten older, want less flash, and more stealth. Don't like anything that stands out. Who am I kidding!? I have been like that for years! :D Only really "mod" something if the stock component keeps failing. Really don't like lifts, no one really makes stiffer aftermarket suspension without adding some sort of lift to it.

Getting harder and harder to find a plain jane basic truck anymores...even from the factory...they all have too much fluff that you don't need.

Last edited:

b9ev

Adventurer
Kind of funny, I used to ride my mx bikes 5+ days a week from 5 years old until my late 20s. Then at 32 with my first daughter it went to no riding. Finally got rid of my bikes last year after 4 years of no riding. I won't have time in the foreseeable future. I like that 37s take me most places that I want to go. Except on forums and my mechanic no one knows what's under my hood. I have a stock dpf back exhaust.

The stock chrome steps on my truck bother me a bit but not enough to replace with black ones. One day I will buy sliders more than likely.

Clutch

<---Pass
Kind of funny, I used to ride my mx bikes 5+ days a week from 5 years old until my late 20s. Then at 32 with my first daughter it went to no riding. Finally got rid of my bikes last year after 4 years of no riding. I won't have time in the foreseeable future. I like that 37s take me most places that I want to go. Except on forums and my mechanic no one knows what's under my hood. I have a stock dpf back exhaust.

The stock chrome steps on my truck bother me a bit but not enough to replace with black ones. One day I will buy sliders more than likely.

I got into bikes in my late 20's...now making up for lost time. They just can go so many more places than a 4 wheeled vehicle can. I used to be into it...then the bike bug bit. Funny when I look at vehicles now...all I can think of...can a bike fit in it? :D Have been looking at vans as of late. Though nothing really out there that is capable as a Tacoma off the show room floor. Like things basic to a point, but still need something that is offroady enough to fetch broken down bikes.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have been riding bikes since I was 6. I am 40 now. I am down to one bike I am restoring now. An 86 XR 250. Owned by me since new. Need a new frame as the stand mount broke off and I do not have it anymore. Then I'm going to rebuild the motor to a 270cc from XR's Only. The new main ride is coming very soon. a new versys 300. great scoot for our province. But 4 wheel rigs are a necessity for us since there are 3 of us going in the back country most of the time. This truck, minus the snurkle would be a great rig for us.

The 1500 is certainly no expedition vehicle in the sense of a built 2500 or Jeep Wrangler etc, we know that, its not like we're trying to pawn something off here as something its not...it is however a decent weekend warrior for the average guy who:
  • Probably doesn't read this forum
  • Needs and everyday truck
  • Looking for ride quality
Personally, its not for me, in the same sense that a grand cherokee is not for me. I tow too heavy, use my trucks in more extreme off-roading and carry a lot of toys...but there are certainly a lot of people who the 1500 does work for who would hate loading kids etc into my 3500.

It also made sense for AEV to support people who are in fact weekend warriors because:
  • We already had parts like the snorkel and bumpers and hoods
  • In the same way that v6 chargers help produce crazy animals like the hellcat, and the 1500 helps pay for things like powerwagons...There are a lot of 1500 people out there and frankly, being able to open up the market for more bumpers and snorkels means that we can afford to make more parts for the HD which is beneficial to most of us reading this particular forum, there are a lot of parts we'd love to do for the HD, but if there is no business case, we can't do them, getting the 1500 on board helps with that, so if its not for you, thats ok, the 1500 may in fact benefit you (us) indirectly.
  • Introduces the brand and the utility of such a vehicle to a new audience who might move up to a Prospector, Prospector XL or Wrangler in the future.

On terms of the 1500 IFS suspension, a LOT of thought has been put into this IFS kit and its unique in many ways:
  • The Stamped front Skidplate to maintain ground clearance (even though the diff is being dropped). We looked at a bunch of 1500 kits and found out there are serious geometry issues with all of them, so we wanted to fix those issues. The drop brackets and lowering the differential is necessary on the IFS because of the CV joint angles and the axle shaft plunge lengths, in order to do something different, we would have needed to extend the axles, which would also mean, upper AND lower control arms and fender flares etc...youd be looking at $$$ and basically outside the scope of the target audience. That being said...unlike every other IFS kit out there, while we did drop the differential, we then shrink wrapped a stamped 3/16 steel skidplate up around everything which means that even though the diff is lower, you aren't really losing much clearance at the diff like every other IFS kit I know of. There is no other way to lift an IFS truck like the 1500 without either changing the axles and CVs or dropping the diff. We are also working with Bilstien on a high zoot bypass coilover that will actually make this thing into a bit of a sleeper.
  • High strength alloy front knuckles (to reduce unsprung weight) I believe the only on the market. In addition, most (all?) IFS kits on the market use a cast steel knuckle, the factory uses an aluminum knuckle, the unsprung weight is critical to ride quality, so we also went with an aluminum knuckle with an ultra high strength alloy in order to compensate for the taller design. Going with a cast steel knuckle would have given up way too much in ride quality, which after all is the point with an IFS suspension to begin with.
  • Unique Tie Rod Ends to facilitate 18" wheels. The 20s were only a stopgap until our 18s were done being mfg and which will be shown at OE17 in a couple weeks. 20s are dumb unless on at least a 40" tire, we know that :)
    We did a lot just to be able to get 18s on it including developing our own tie rod end to make it possible. 17s just couldn't do it without affecting geometry.

We'll have one at OE17 to take a look at, come talk to us about it.

ifsCapture.JPG

dh

Last edited:

b9ev

Adventurer
For me I look at a truck and I need to be able to tow 10k+ lbs on a gooseneck, get me places offroad, be a comfortable daily driver, and be entertaining to drive.

I have my old 2001 Tacoma to get me into tighter spots. Only mods on it now are the bumpers, used to be supercharged because it is such an underpowered truck but I don't drive it frequently anymore. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to be on bikes.

I got into bikes in my late 20's...now making up for lost time. They just can go so many more places than a 4 wheeled vehicle can. I used to be into it...then the bike bug bit. Funny when I look at vehicles now...all I can think of...can a bike fit in it? :D Have been looking at vans as of late. Though nothing really out there that is capable as a Tacoma off the show room floor. Like things basic to a point, but still need something that is offroady enough to fetch broken down bikes.

Please never sell that XR. I wish I had my first adult size bike still, an RM125. To get my daughters out offroad right now it needs to be in a 4 wheeled vehicle as well.

I have been riding bikes since I was 6. I am 40 now. I am down to one bike I am restoring now. An 86 XR 250. Owned by me since new. Need a new frame as the stand mount broke off and I do not have it anymore. Then I'm going to rebuild the motor to a 270cc from XR's Only. The new main ride is coming very soon. a new versys 300. great scoot for our province. But 4 wheel rigs are a necessity for us since there are 3 of us going in the back country most of the time. This truck, minus the snurkle would be a great rig for us.

Clutch

<---Pass

I was never allowed to have a dirt bike when I was a kid...did have some quads, but they were mostly for working around the property. Then school and trying to get my business going took over life, then finally at the age of 27, (that was 18 years ago)...bought my first dirt bike. Have been riding ever since...think I am trying to make up for a lost childhood, since we had to start working at an early age.

The better half rides too, but she is super busy with her new career...that is just mainly me going out to the boonies. We don't have any kids either....so no need for heavily modded 4 wheeled vehicle. I used to be into it...but bikes are so much cheaper.

I mean, how much is that AEV Ecodiesel, $50-60K!!?? Effff, that! ;)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I think it looks pretty good. Not a vehicle I have a personal interest in, but living in the land of jacked up trucks, I definitely see it's appeal.
The pieces also look like the typical good quality I'd expect from AEV.
It's nice to see them increase the product line.
I'm hoping they look at Ford trucks next. Would love to see what they could do with an F150 3.5-EB. :)

jordans264

AEV, I appreciate the fact that the 1500 is opened up now. It is a platform that makes a lot more sense for me. I also appreciate the thought that you put in to all of your products. I am on the fence about continuing to build up my JKUR or switch over to a Tacoma (a truck makes more sense for my daily driver) and having an option in the 1500 is just what I was looking for and has most likely changed my mind.

GlennA

Adventurer
The 1500 is certainly no expedition vehicle in the sense of a built 2500 or Jeep Wrangler etc, we know that, its not like we're trying to pawn something off here as something its not...it is however a decent weekend warrior for the average guy who:
  • Probably doesn't read this forum
  • Needs and everyday truck
  • Looking for ride quality
Personally, its not for me, in the same sense that a grand cherokee is not for me. I tow too heavy, use my trucks in more extreme off-roading and carry a lot of toys...but there are certainly a lot of people who the 1500 does work for who would hate loading kids etc into my 3500.

It also made sense for AEV to support people who are in fact weekend warriors because:
  • We already had parts like the snorkel and bumpers and hoods
  • In the same way that v6 chargers help produce crazy animals like the hellcat, and the 1500 helps pay for things like powerwagons...There are a lot of 1500 people out there and frankly, being able to open up the market for more bumpers and snorkels means that we can afford to make more parts for the HD which is beneficial to most of us reading this particular forum, there are a lot of parts we'd love to do for the HD, but if there is no business case, we can't do them, getting the 1500 on board helps with that, so if its not for you, thats ok, the 1500 may in fact benefit you (us) indirectly.
  • Introduces the brand and the utility of such a vehicle to a new audience who might move up to a Prospector, Prospector XL or Wrangler in the future.

On terms of the 1500 IFS suspension, a LOT of thought has been put into this IFS kit and its unique in many ways:
  • The Stamped front Skidplate to maintain ground clearance (even though the diff is being dropped). We looked at a bunch of 1500 kits and found out there are serious geometry issues with all of them, so we wanted to fix those issues. The drop brackets and lowering the differential is necessary on the IFS because of the CV joint angles and the axle shaft plunge lengths, in order to do something different, we would have needed to extend the axles, which would also mean, upper AND lower control arms and fender flares etc...youd be looking at $$$ and basically outside the scope of the target audience. That being said...unlike every other IFS kit out there, while we did drop the differential, we then shrink wrapped a stamped 3/16 steel skidplate up around everything which means that even though the diff is lower, you aren't really losing much clearance at the diff like every other IFS kit I know of. There is no other way to lift an IFS truck like the 1500 without either changing the axles and CVs or dropping the diff. We are also working with Bilstien on a high zoot bypass coilover that will actually make this thing into a bit of a sleeper.
  • High strength alloy front knuckles (to reduce unsprung weight) I believe the only on the market. In addition, most (all?) IFS kits on the market use a cast steel knuckle, the factory uses an aluminum knuckle, the unsprung weight is critical to ride quality, so we also went with an aluminum knuckle with an ultra high strength alloy in order to compensate for the taller design. Going with a cast steel knuckle would have given up way too much in ride quality, which after all is the point with an IFS suspension to begin with.
  • Unique Tie Rod Ends to facilitate 18" wheels. The 20s were only a stopgap until our 18s were done being mfg and which will be shown at OE17 in a couple weeks. 20s are dumb unless on at least a 40" tire, we know that :)
    We did a lot just to be able to get 18s on it including developing our own tie rod end to make it possible. 17s just couldn't do it without affecting geometry.

We'll have one at OE17 to take a look at, come talk to us about it.

View attachment 398630

dh

Thanks for the explanation. But, as with all things, haters gonna hate!!

Jgrider16

Weekend Warrior Thanks You

Thank you for the thought out (and properly spelled) response. I have a 1500 diesel and I love the truck. It mostly lives on the streets between my home, my kids' school, and my work. And we tow a midweight camper about 10,000 miles per year. It's perfect for these things. It is comfortable and has all the room we need for people and toys. I am glad there is more of an aftermarket opening up for this truck.

Of course it isn't a dedicated trail rig or a lifted HD truck. I'll never need to tow 25,000 pounds or put a ton or more of construction equip in the bed. It's not a HD truck, because I don't need one. And as much as I would love to have a built Wrangler, it would be wholly impractical as a DD / kid hauler / camper tower. And the truck even gets better MPG than our Subaru. However, this truck is very long and pretty low and really has no real off-road capability. In fact, the above mentioned Subaru can certainly do better on the trails.

I applaud you for having built a ready to go solution to make this everyday people / gear-hauler into a bit more capable trail vehicle. Sure there are some random parts out there, but most of them are just a spacer lift to put some bigger tires on and kill the fuel economy. And then you can add a crappy plate steel bumper to throw off the weight distribution and you have a light-duty but expensive redneck **** box.

Your kit on the other hand looks like a reasonable and well designed all-around package. Sure it is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. Honestly, these trucks are too big for any real trail work (except open desert) ... so one would be better off buying a used TJ and towing it around with the 1500. But then the camper is out of the game. I have had multiple times though where I would've gone somewhere fun in my truck if it was a bit more capable, but that built up trail rig failed to appear, so sign me up.

I think this will sell well. Sure ... most of them will go to mall-crawler suburban dads in need of a penis extension ... but so do most Power Wagons and lifted Jeeps and unfortunately the bulk of your current vehicles probably never see the trails they were designed for.

On the flip side, there are a plenty of people who cannot justify a dedicated trail rig or a Power Wagon to take their kids to the pool in, but would like a bit more out of their DD. The heavy duty bro-dozers and dedicated trail rig guys have no place in this conversation, as it really doesn't apply to them. They have already committed to something beyond what this conversion is intended to be (or are ************* around on the expedition portal forum while their broken XJ is rusting in the yard).

And, FWIW, I saw an AEV Brute at the gas station today with 22" chrome rims and ****ty tires ... and I wanted to cry.

And this kit is called the Recruit ... so duh, it's a ploy to get people to upgrade their truck and then throw down on a fully built JK to go with it. I would do it tomorrow if I could.

Last edited:

b9ev

Adventurer
I am fairly sure I saw a recruit earlier. It's a good looking truck.

20170608_112545_zpswp40pbpi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94