Land Cruiser 100 series - long range fuel tank

PenelopeCruiser

I'd like to extend the range of my 2000 Land Cruiser (factory 25 gal tank) without external jerrycans / rotopax containers. In the US, has anyone come across a long range fuel tank replacement for the factory tank or an auxiliary fuel tank add-on? The ARB Australian site lists a 182L Long Ranger fuel tank for 100 series LCs but can't seem to find them in the US and unclear if it would work with a US-model 100 series anyway:

https://www.arb.com.au/toyota-landcruiser-100-105-series-1997-2002/long-range-tanks/

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Ah, chasing the unicorn!

Very long tales around on trying to get these in the us. Short answer is it is very difficult to get LongRanger to even respond to us requests. One of the main issues is DOT compliance. Second is EPA compliance with the carbon filters. With more fuel, you'd need a bigger carbon cartridge.

Check the 100s section on ih8mud for plenty more threads on the subject, including a couple of US guys trying to make one.

Rumpig

Adventurer
Maybe try contacting LRA here in Australia if Longranger won't reply, they are a different company to Longranger (one is from the state of NSW and the other Victoria I think from memory) and they do bigger fuel tanks for 100 series. I have no idea if they'd be willing to send stuff to your country or if it complies, but worth you sending an email atleast to ask the question. https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/

Last edited:

PenelopeCruiser

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solution here in the US. Decided to go with Roto Pax for now - the 4-gallon option is great for me. I don't have a rear bumper setup so I can easily put the 4-gallon on top and just secure it to the factory roof rack cross bars.

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
LONG RANGE AUTOMOTIVE FUEL TANKS IN USA
Sorry for the late notice, but Cruiser Brothers, LLC is now exclusive agent for Long Range Automotive. Based in Stockton, California, we have been importing and selling since late last year.

My partner, Georg Esterer, is also the owner of Valley Hybrids. Georg has installed many replacement main and aux tanks in offroad Toyotas. We support the entire range of LRA tanks for most offroad Toyotas, plus Jeeps, Land Rovers and other marques.

Check out the video and give me a call - we are in the process of updating our website. We stock as many tanks as we can hold on to and order every two weeks for air freight delivery to our warehouse. Turn-around for an order if not in stock is 5-6 weeks, as tanks are built to order. We have a 40 gallon replacement for the 100 Series, plus 40 and 24 gallon auxiliary tanks. The aux tanks are being updated to accommodate US charcoal canisters - the replacement tank is already US smog compatible.

Thanks,
Ward Harris
209-636-0831

40 gallon replacement
1526396102171.png

T-Willy

I purchased a 24 gal aux tank for my 80 from Ward and company. I am happy with the result. The installation went fine. The two-tank fueling mechanism and electronic pump control are simple and functional. The tank itself is bomber. It doubles the vehicle's range, lowers its center of gravity, gets gas cans off of the roof rack (dangerous), allows me to bypass expensive rural fuel, and nests high in the spare wheel bay with abundant ground clearance. I recently drove from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm, mostly on dirt, almost without stopping, while working in central and northern Nevada, without encountering a gas station nor needing to refuel. The additional range creates much more freedom for traveling and route planning away from civilization. If there was one weakness of the 80 (and other gas-fueled US LC models) as a remote access vehicle, it was range; this solves that problem squarely.IMG_5644.JPGIMG_5650.JPGIMG_5646.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles