InReach SE Screen failure?

dstock

Explorer
Kind of a bummer, went to update my Inreach SE this morning and as soon as I plugged it in this is what I saw:

i-CQQQCkC-L.jpg

For a device that lives mostly in a padded camera bag, I'm kind of surprised. It has never been dropped, etc. Granted it's still usable especially when connected to my phone.

I did a quick google search and didn't come up with anyone else having this issue, guess I'm just lucky?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
This is a real bummer. Since it's an older unit I'm guessing no warranty fix.

I'm pretty hard on mine, and that hasn't happened yet. Mine did shut down and appeared to be dead, but I managed a soft-reset and it started working again.

Does it still connect and function?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Kind of a bummer, went to update my Inreach SE this morning and as soon as I plugged it in this is what I saw:

i-CQQQCkC-L.jpg

For a device that lives mostly in a padded camera bag, I'm kind of surprised. It has never been dropped, etc. Granted it's still usable especially when connected to my phone.

I did a quick google search and didn't come up with anyone else having this issue, guess I'm just lucky?

I had bad buttons on mine, and Delorme replaced the unit with a new one even though I had purchased it used. Reach out to them, you may be pleasantly surprised - the screen definitely shouldn't be doing that!

dstock

Explorer
This is a real bummer. Since it's an older unit I'm guessing no warranty fix.

I'm pretty hard on mine, and that hasn't happened yet. Mine did shut down and appeared to be dead, but I managed a soft-reset and it started working again.

Does it still connect and function?

I wish I had the excuse of being hard on it, but it's led a pretty sheltered life! It still connects and function fine. I have also had to do a soft-reset once awhile back. Otherwise super happy with it, great piece of kit.

dstock

Explorer
I had bad buttons on mine, and Delorme replaced the unit with a new one even though I had purchased it used. Reach out to them, you may be pleasantly surprised - the screen definitely shouldn't be doing that!

Yeah, that's a good idea, if nothing else just to make them aware of the issue, although with the new units out they may not care as much.

Pophamrt1

Similar reliability issue. I have an Inreach Explorer that's just out of the one year warranty. Turned it on today to test before a trip and the screen was blank white. Did a hard reset, fully charged, synced and updated it to the most recent software version. Still white screen of death, or sometimes a static screen.

It's apparently a common problem as others on the net have noted it and Delorme has a tech bulletin under "blank screen" saying it isn't fixable and offers a $150 exchange for a refurbished unit with a 90 day warranty.

I've only used the device 3-4 times and babied it in a soft case--like new with not a scratch. It literally died in my desk drawer. Not exactly what I'd consider a reliable device for life and death safety. That, and the idea of paying to repair a known fault issue?

I'm off to REI in the morning before leaving for the back country to see if their warranty policy will honor a replacement.

dstock

Explorer
I never did contact Garmin about this, got busy and use the InReach paired to my phone so the few lines aren't an impediment to using it yet. If it was the full blank screen then that would be an issue for sure and does seem unfair to charge for a known fault. On the other hand, since Delorme was bought out and there's a newer version of the InReach, maybe this is one of the reasons.

I'm sure I will get the same response but I will reach out and see what they say. $150 would soften the price of the new version considerably.

Pophamrt1

Just back from my trip. REI deserves serious credit. I'll definitely use them more in the future. They gladly allowed me to return the out of warranty Explorer as "defective."

The morning of the trip I called Garmin tech support, mistakenly Canada, got them immediately and they were familiar with and confirmed the screen problem as hardware based, as well as only a refurbish for $150 trade-in route. Then I called Garmin USA, which had a 1+ hour wait and entered the "we'll call you back" cue.

In the meantime I went to REI, where I exchanged the defective unit for a new InReach Explorer+. So I ended up out of pocket $100 but upgraded to the newest model. As I'm walking out of REI with the new unit, my phone rings and its the call-back from Garmin USA tech. I explain the situation and within 20 minutes the unit is up and running with my account transferred over including all contacts. Pretty amazing.

All considered, the key was REI. While they changed their past "no questions asked return any time" policy a few years ago due to abuse, they still have a solid "defect" warranty. Even if its electronic, if it stops working under normal use, they'll refund your money. And it wasn't a big decision. The clerk just smiled and said that "sucks" we'll take care of it.

As a note, Garmin Canada knew about the white screen problem. The tech recognized it immediately and said it was hardware based. The Garmin USA tech said he'd never heard of it, but it would only qualify for a refurbished exchange for $150. Slight difference, same policy, but between a zero wait vs. over an hour and immediately admitting to a known problem, Garmin Canada gets a thumbs up. Too bad we'd have to move there.

The new Explorer+ is definitely a nicer unit. It seems to pull a SAT signal better. Otherwise, larger screen, nicer maps on screen with better tracking, and an improved SOS button system, so no worries of the false alarms being reported on the old units.

dstock

Explorer
Just back from my trip. REI deserves serious credit. I'll definitely use them more in the future. They gladly allowed me to return the out of warranty Explorer as "defective."

The morning of the trip I called Garmin tech support, mistakenly Canada, got them immediately and they were familiar with and confirmed the screen problem as hardware based, as well as only a refurbish for $150 trade-in route. Then I called Garmin USA, which had a 1+ hour wait and entered the "we'll call you back" cue.

In the meantime I went to REI, where I exchanged the defective unit for a new InReach Explorer+. So I ended up out of pocket $100 but upgraded to the newest model. As I'm walking out of REI with the new unit, my phone rings and its the call-back from Garmin USA tech. I explain the situation and within 20 minutes the unit is up and running with my account transferred over including all contacts. Pretty amazing.

All considered, the key was REI. While they changed their past "no questions asked return any time" policy a few years ago due to abuse, they still have a solid "defect" warranty. Even if its electronic, if it stops working under normal use, they'll refund your money. And it wasn't a big decision. The clerk just smiled and said that "sucks" we'll take care of it.

As a note, Garmin Canada knew about the white screen problem. The tech recognized it immediately and said it was hardware based. The Garmin USA tech said he'd never heard of it, but it would only qualify for a refurbished exchange for $150. Slight difference, same policy, but between a zero wait vs. over an hour and immediately admitting to a known problem, Garmin Canada gets a thumbs up. Too bad we'd have to move there.

The new Explorer+ is definitely a nicer unit. It seems to pull a SAT signal better. Otherwise, larger screen, nicer maps on screen with better tracking, and an improved SOS button system, so no worries of the false alarms being reported on the old units.

Great info. I have been considering upgrading my Garmin GPS, maybe I will just combine the 2 devices into one and get the Explorer+

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne