ATC - rear cargo carrier for motorcycle and gear

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I'm restoring a 95 K2500 Chevy ProVan 4wd Camper. Finishing the paint, lift, wheels, tires, airlift airbags, drivetrain and a new interior, but starting to look for ideas on a rear carrier system for a small (klr250) MC and Honda generator on the rear. I'm happy to custom weld something, but looking for ideas, plus pros and cons. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 15

Bear in NM

Adventurer
I am using a "hitch haul motorcycle carrier". Google will give you lots of images. you seem to be asking for something more permanent, but this hauler can give you ideas.

I actually have two. One is sort of permanently sitting on the tongue of my offroad trailer.

Thoughts in general. I am hauling a CT90 which weighs in about 200 pounds. It worked well on the back of my Jeep, and now on a Chevy Avalanche. I run a strap up from each end of the hauler to my truck, to suck up the entire assembly, which takes all of the rotational bouncing out of it. It could block tail lights, depending upon you rig and bike. For that, I like the hitch design as my rigs always have a front receiver, so I could run it front or back. I also run a riser on my hitch to get the bike up higher. More of a pain to load, but as the bike has to stick out back quite a ways, it really plays heck with approach/departure angle. Higherer is betterer, except for loading.

I also like the idea of plugging into the hitch, as it allows me to easily remove the assembly. I had my welder weld my Hi-Lift bracket across the tongue of my hitch haul, so I get to haul my bike and Hi-Lift, so I have both, and both come off when I hit camp. My Avalanche is cladded, so I cannot modify my bumper like most folks. In a perfect world, something like the Hitch Haul modified for insertion into two smaller hitch points on each side of the bumper would work very well.

The other upside to the hitch haul is that they are relatively cheap. You could try one out, and then decide how you might want to modify.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles