ARB Simpson III

AlumniCU

Having now used the annex, I'm glad it doesn't have the floor. It's nice not to have to worry about tracking in dirt. I have an"AstroTurf" rug that goes inside that works well and shakes out easy.

rickc

Adventurer
Hi folks: My Visa card just melted.... Yesterday I put a 49" x 76" Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on my canopy and today added the ARB Simpson III. A few comments for anyone thinking about a Simpson III or from ARB (maybe I'll send them this stuff directly):

- The tent base and mattress was full of metals filings and swarf.
- The ally cross bars that bolt to the base of the tent had really sharp edges; now filed smoother.
- The holes in the ally cross bars were rough with swarf; I had to remove this first to allow the nylock nuts to slide in place.
- The bolts that mount the ally cross bars to the base of the tent are about 5mm too long; when tight the end sticks out below the plane of the bottom of the bar ready to scrape the crap out of your vehicle cross bars or platform. I cut the excess off.
- No one has mentioned the hex heads of the bolts that go through the base rubbing on the mattress; maybe it's not an issue but I covered mine with a small square of duct tape to smooth the bolt head edges.
- There is no way to lock the ladder up out of the way when the tent is not in use but the annex is. I've seen other RTTs with a simple tie system; as long as no one is in the tent, the ladder should not be required for extra support.

Good stuff:
- The tent looks great; tonight two of my kids and I are going to try it out.
- The annex (free this month with the purchase of a Simpson III) is much bigger than I thought. I worked out how to use it with my swing out wheel from which I'm considering adding a drop down table.
- Despite my lift and the extra height using the platform, the annex peg holes just reach the ground but I will need the ladder extension as the ladder incline is not safe for kids.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
We ordered a Simpson III with the free annex last weekend at the 4WheelParts Jeep and Truck Fest. Free shipping to 4WheelParts by my house. $1341.00 and tax, not a bad deal.

rickc

Adventurer
Kmrtnsn: Watch this YouTube vid if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTNMLenJaEw The fellow shows setting up the tent but more importantly, gives some good advice about how it was packed to make the cover fit; I watched it weeks ago but remembered the comment about the metal poles being pulled out of their pockets to make the lid fit; this makes a big difference to getting the cover on. I just did mine this morning for the first time; impossible without a step ladder due to my 5.5" lift; even without a lift I think a step ladder is a good idea. When putting away, take the time to make sure you tuck as much of the tent inside the edges as possible, especially the closing end on the opposite side of the hinge.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Kmrtnsn: Watch this YouTube vid if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTNMLenJaEw The fellow shows setting up the tent but more importantly, gives some good advice about how it was packed to make the cover fit; I watched it weeks ago but remembered the comment about the metal poles being pulled out of their pockets to make the lid fit; this makes a big difference to getting the cover on. I just did mine this morning for the first time; impossible without a step ladder due to my 5.5" lift; even without a lift I think a step ladder is a good idea. When putting away, take the time to make sure you tuck as much of the tent inside the edges as possible, especially the closing end on the opposite side of the hinge.

I saw that, thanks! We may have to talk more about your pickup........

rickc

Adventurer
Hi folks: just sharing. I'm trying a few new tricks:

I saw a YouTube vid review and noticed that the reviewer had his cover threaded on the "wrong" side; I've always seen the cover pull up and over and hang from the hinge end. In my case this means having to remove the cover every time as it's in the way of my tailgate so I just threaded it the other way so it now lifts up and over onto my Rhino rack at the opposite end of the hinge. Here it can stay all day; my only concern is how to stop it getting wet, I've rolled it up inside out so only a small section is exposed. It's supposed to rain tonight so we'll see what happens.

I commented earlier on there not being an easy way to lift the ladder out of the way when no one is in the tent and the annex is in use. My ladder extension arrived today and I added two rubber pads to the base so that I can lift the ladder up and slide the extension onto the roof of my canopy, holding the ladder in place. Easy.
IMG_1029.jpgIMG_1030.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles