Google Maps Offline Use

BCobe

Adventurer
Does anyone know how to utilize a map with waypoints for offline use? I am trying to figure it out on my android tablet but no luck. I can download the area but the waypoints do not show.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Might need some more detail to go on here before anyone can give much help. Google maps does not function in the traditional sense most of us here are accustomed to when dealing with mapping apps.

Are you talking about saved places in Google maps? Do you have saved places you can access online now but not offline, or no saved places at all?

Are you trying to import waypoints from a file to Google Maps?

I've only used Google Maps on a limited basis, it shows promise though. It does not work like a normal GPS app though and becomes somewhat frustrating to use if you try to treat it as a GPS app.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
If you download the maps you should be able to navigate anywhere on the downloaded area, but I don't think routes work in Google Maps mobile.

Honestly I would use another app though for offline use, there are good offline navigation apps for on-road use and then use something like Gaia for offroad or more general map usage

BCobe

Adventurer
Might need some more detail to go on here before anyone can give much help. Google maps does not function in the traditional sense most of us here are accustomed to when dealing with mapping apps.

Are you talking about saved places in Google maps? Do you have saved places you can access online now but not offline, or no saved places at all?

Are you trying to import waypoints from a file to Google Maps?

I've only used Google Maps on a limited basis, it shows promise though. It does not work like a normal GPS app though and becomes somewhat frustrating to use if you try to treat it as a GPS app.

I had exported it to google maps online but was not able to view points when I turned the internet off. I am just trying to break into this so sorry if something is off. I am terrible at conveying though processes to.

If you download the maps you should be able to navigate anywhere on the downloaded area, but I don't think routes work in Google Maps mobile.

Honestly I would use another app though for offline use, there are good offline navigation apps for on-road use and then use something like Gaia for offroad or more general map usage

I had actually exported it from someone that created it via Gaia. Thought about investing the 20 bucks into it but I didn't know if I would use it enough to justify the cost. Plus I know nothing about the app.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
It's worth it, just buy it. I wasted so much time trying to make free or cheap programs work, $20 isn't that much money in comparison to everything else overlanding or exploring

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1Louder

Explorer
Gaia is the best handsdown (but hey that is a free opinion and you know how that goes!)

If you want to try a free app try Orux. Not a huge fan but some folks love it. Once you learn Gaia it just makes it easy to save waypoints, tracks, and maps for offline use. It all depends on how much your time is worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles