NEW TO TRAILERS-- Best suspension for offroad trailer?

Silverhorse

Adventurer
Hello guys, So I'm looking for a trailer. I was wondering which suspension to use leaf spring, torsion, trailing etc.. seems like you would want the trailer to articulate to keep from flopping?
I want a trailer to be totally capable offroad...
as far as weight is concerned I plan to have a large RTT, stove, water, the usual..

thanks, Billy

1Louder

Explorer
You will get a different answer from everyone on here. My Turtleback trailer has a torsion axle. My old M416 had leaf spring. Some folks love Tibren. I really don't think there is a "Best Axle" because the opions vary so greatly. Trailers don't really articulate. A Max Coupler hitch or lock-n-roll will and that's what you want. As for "flopping" the more top heavy your trailer is the more likely it is to flop.

You can always do a search to see other folks opinions on this topic because I know it has come up in the past. There are pros and cons to each one.

A single axle trailer won't articulate because there's no opposing force.

I've enjoyed my torsion axle Turtleback. Unfortunately it is an early build (2014ish) and the non-height-adjustable Dexter version of the axle. I upsized from 33's to 35's and would like to raise the trailer just a bit. Turtleback now uses an adjustable UCF Flexride system. That's in my 2018 list of upgrades. ;)

Lucky j

Explorer
Like mentioned above, a trailer does not flex, but you want to look at a couple of things.

In my book, better to go with a beefier bearing and hub load that you think you will need, bit at the same time, you need to find a suspension set-up that will absorb bumps. A suspension to stiff will make destroied thinkg in your trailer. You can always tie down plastic bins, and anytother stuff you have, but there come a time that what you have in those boxe will move.

So be sure that you find the best load match.

I have a 3500 lbs flexride axle set-up on my utility/expedition trailer on 34" tires. The thing track really well, will handle a 1 1/2 of green hard wood in rough dirt road at fairly good speed. But when I have my rtt and camping gear, the thing just bounce, even if I remove air in the tires. There are things I simply can not carry in the trailer, like food that can not be shaken (egg, tomato, banana, fruit etc)

Next one will be long leaf spring and shocks, ajusted to my load that this purpose built adventure trailer should carry.

grogie

Like to Camp
A friend with an off-road shop built my trailer. He made a custom 3500# axle with leafsprings and shocks, and loaded it's about 1100#s with 32" MTRs. It honestly tows great behind my two-door Jeep, off-road and at 70 mph on the highway. When we were first talking about it, it was based off of a trailer a guy was making and starting to sell in Colorado (Pikes Peak Trailers), who mentioed to me that he tried a lesser axle off-road and bent it. So the 3500# axle is what we went with.

The underside...

dsc08483oj.jpg

I'll also add that it has the trailer has electric breaks, which is great and with my Jeep, a must have!

Lead Dog

Observer
Why aren't leaf springs a good option? I noticed most high end off-road trailers have the torsion suspension..

There is nothing wrong with leaf spring suspension. You just have to set them up right to make them work! You also need to run a Long leaf to get them to travel well. The little standard trailer springs have no ride in them, they'll just bounce! The good thing about a spring and straight axle suspension is you'll always get it home if it breaks on the trail, there is always a way to McGuyver it out! If a independent suspension breaks your going to be dragging it out! KISS IT! Keep It Simple Stupid!

Silverhorse

Adventurer
I'm familiar with Leaf springs as I'm old :) .. I had a set of Deavers years ago on an old Bronco, couldn't believe how well it rode and flexed.. thanks for the info, gents!

JPShooter

Adventurer
Copied from this thread:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/118458-Dexter-torsion-axle-or-Timbren-Axle-less/page2

Are the following thoughts on trailer axles;

Torsion Axles are hands down the most reliable and durable independent suspension trailer axil available. That's why we use them for the vast majority of light tactical military trailers. There's a couple different flavors of Torsion Axil, most with rubber and for heavier applications with steel internal torsion cords. The trick to get this design to perform optimally for civilian use is to ensure you are at least at 75% of the axils capacity.

What we see more times than not in the civilian market is that users rarely load more than 1200lbs of cargo into their trailer. Tents, Awning, Fridges, ATV's (if you have an XVENTURE), Photographic Equipment, Food, Cooking Gear, etc., are all fairly light. 1000lbs of cargo is quite a lot of stuff.

The trailer itself is usually around 800-1200lbs empty, which brings the total GVW to 1800-2200 LBS fully packed. So even with a 3200lb axil the total payload is barely over 50% of the axil rating.

Most of the Schutt Industries trailers acquired from liquidators are using the tried and true 4200LB axil with monster heavy duty shocks. Do the math and you will see that in a stock configuration that's just way too much axil for most consumer applications. So of course the trailer ends up handling like a train on rails with very stiff dampening.

While it's rare you'd ever bottom out, the ride is less than desirable and can actually be hard on the payload. It's also important to note that our LTT chassis' are engineered to handle upwards of 7000lbs of payload. Way way way over the limits of even the 4200 LB axils. The published trailer GVW ratings are only in alignment with the axils we install to meet the conservative published ratings established through Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

That said, installing a Torsion axil rated at 2700 lbs-ish is a much better choice for non-commercial use as you want a smoother ride. Again, you are shooting for a trailer GVW of 2300-2500 LBS for most Overland Applications. If I am after a performance combination of, the most reliable, maintenance free, cost effective, best performing independent suspension for a trailer Torsion Axils are where its at.

Thanks,
Mark

JPShooter

Adventurer
great info, thanks JPshooter. I see where Turtleback runs a 2750lb. rating as well. Must be the "sweet" spot!

Remember, it will depend on your weight on axle. If your load on the axle is only 1000 pounds there's no sense in a 2750 lb. axle. I think that's the main take away from Mark's comments (other than they like the torsion axles), that if you are not loading the axle to at least 75% of it's capacity that your load will get more vibration.

I have an M1101 surplus that I've converted, and with all my stuff in it (and it's a lot of stuff) I'm just getting to the 75% of the 4200 lb. rated axle. The M1101/2 trailers are beasts that will carry a huge load. In Mark's comment about the LTT chassis that will take 7000 lbs, that's the chassis that the M1101 and 1102 are built on. So even though they have a 4200 lb axle, the chassis is over built for the axle's capacity. And yet, I've got a hard time putting enough camping gear in the trailer to get even to the 75% level.

My build thread is a little dated right now, I intend to update now that the snow is melted where I am, but here's the link:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161611-My-M1101-Project?highlight=m1101+build

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior