Gen3 Starter Replacement

01MontyLtd

Hey Guys,

Long story short, my starter went out so I ordered a Power Select/WPS 17131N (new) from Rockauto.
After installation, I made sure all bolts were tighten/ heat shield installed properly.
Start the engine, then I got constant loud grinding from the starter.
Note: I didn't have this noise before.

Comparing side by side, I noticed the position of the drive pinion on OEM (Bottom of the pic) is sitting
much closer to the frame, and seems to be smaller in dimension than the Power Select starter.

Could this be the product issue?
Starters.jpg
Starters2.jpg

I'm going to re-order another starter, but I need some opinions on which one to get.
Montero3.5_starter.Rockauto.JPG

Let me know what do you all think?

alex9528

Observer
I have the same 01 ltd also what exactly happened to your old starter? If you turn the key and nothing happens, then it is your ignition switch that is bad (22$). They get "lazy" with age.I still have OE starter and I'm at 223k miles.

01MontyLtd

I'm thinking it's the starter because when I reinstalled everything back in, it started right up. But that's when all the grinding occurred.
I even switched the solenoid from the new starter to OEM and it wouldn't crank.

Thanks for the reply tho.

alex9528

Observer
Got it, Not sure witch brand to get but surely they shipped you the wrong part.Rockauto is pretty good in returns and exchanges.

01MontyLtd

Just re-ordered this from them, hopefully it will work out better than Power Select.

2001 MITSUBISHI MONTERO 3.5L V6
Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
BOSCH SR4164X Starter Motor $ 99.79 $ 45.00 1 $ 144.79
Shipping Ground $ 8.99
Order Total $ 153.78

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I ran into this issue with my wifes Gen 3...bought a starter from Advance years ago and it took a dump and went to exchange it. I got the replacement and I had the same exact issue you are having...constant metal grinding noise. I took it back and asked to compare the previous starter to the one I exchanged and there is a difference in the starter gear and actuator rod length. They had another one in stock and maybe it was packaged wrong and the same issue and I will note that the brand starter I was trying to exchange was different from what they are offering now.

I needed a starter ASAP and went to Oreilly's and the same issue with their starters listed for my wifes 02 Gen 3 Limited. I finally had luck with Autozone as their starter matched the original starter.

Basically its millimeters in difference but the starter gear is hitting the flywheel which is why you are having the constant grinding noise. I wish I took pics but some of the aftermarket ones listed do have this issue with the gear sitting higher than a true OEM spec one would be.

01MontyLtd

Bosch doesn't work either.

Well, I just installed BOSCH SR416X Starter Motor, and it's doing the same thing. (Ignore the smokes:sombrero:)

[video]https://youtu.be/Dmk_JkwJtwk[/video]

After more googling, I believe the armature in most replacement starter doesn't line up with the oem flywheel.
I found another OEM one by Mitsubishi for $169.99 http://oemmitsubishiparts.com/2001-mitsubishi-montero-xls-gas_3.5_v_6-transmission_automatic_trans_speeds-starter-starter-starter_M379687D-item/
I'm going to just order those.

There are so many starters out there, for some reasons I never came across the authentic/OEM/By Mitsubishi one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke