Kamaz, Tatra Converted Expedition Camper

ml8888

Has anyone tried or thought about converting a Kamaz or Tatra off-road truck to a expedition camper? There is no doubt about their off-road capability, durability and cold, heat resistance, not to mention their victory in Dakar rally. And their price are cheap, about USD50K for a new 6x6 chassis. Seems not many people thought about converting them. What are their drawbacks?

Last edited:

MLu

Adventurer
If they are anything like the old Russian 6x6 trucks the Finnish army uses to tow artillery pieces through swamps, one reason might be that they consume something along the lines of 100-120 liters per 100 km. That's just a bit over 2 mpg. But maybe the newer ones are more frugal.

That being said, there are some around. I even seem to recall having read someone's thread on this forum. Gut feeling says they are most popular with Europeans touring northern Africa?

ml8888

Fuel consumption is a concern, the official data on their website for a KAMAZ-43118 6X6 fuel consumtion is 26L/100KM, I believe it's under empty laden situation though.

tooFATtoDRIVE

Has anyone tried or thought about converting a Kamaz or Tatra off-road truck to a expedition camper? There is no doubt about their off-road capability, durability and cold, heat resistance, not to mention their victory in Dakar rally. And their price are cheap, about USD50K for a new 6x6 chassis. Seems not many people thought about converting them. What are their drawbacks?
Are you sure about this? Brand new Tatra trucks are pretty expensive.

Toby3

If you google Jago Pickering and Dakar, you should find quite a lot of references to them. British family that converted a 6x6 Tatra, shipped it to South America whilst Jago rode the Dakar on a KTM (they didn't use the truck for the Dakar but shipped it down there with the Dakar vehicles so they could travel afterwards). They have travelled in it since and also were both renting it out to follow the Dakar and also living in it whilst building a house in South America. British Company built the body but have since gone out of business.

Its been posted in one of the other discussions, about half way down this page below

forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/121538-Merkabah-MB-2626-AK-6x6-tipper-to-expedition-truck-conversion/page8

aernan

Observer
Another big concern is in USA you would need a commercial drivers license to operate one. But from what I have seen on the Internet they are unstoppable vehicles.

aernan

Observer
I think the real reason to use a Tatra would be it's pressurized drive train and it's massive articulation. It also comes with lockers for all axles. Piloting such a vehicle would require some skill (when to lock the lockers) but the flip side is you have amazing off road capabilities.

Can anyone comment on Unimog vs Tatra as far as off road capabilities?

tatra8x8

Hello, I have owned Unimogs since 1989 and have a Tatra 8x8 that is 3/4? camperised (work in progress). It's a bit apples to oranges as something like the 8x8 Tatra is a REALLY big truck. I have not totally thrashed the Tatra offroad...as I have been travelling with just the single vehicle...If I got stuck...it could get interesting. Honestly-you can get anything stuck...and both the mog and the tatra have lockable diffs. I do have a friend that works 2 8x8 Tatras..and he says nothing can keep up with him in the bush. Most Unimogs are switchable 2 or 4 wheel drive. (I think the 6x6 might be 'switchable' also) i.e. not always driving 6 wheels. The Tatra is full time 8x8. Approx. 40-45L per 100 KM's with the T-815VT with 19 litre V12 air cooled Tatra motor. I have a Zeppelin FM2 (4.25 metres long) as a camper on the Tatra. There is virtually zero frame flex on this type of Tatra as it has independent suspension and is a completely different concept from a flexible frame portal axle Unimog where a special camper subframe is required. (mounted to unimog frame on 3 points) Parts are available directly from Tatra or from other European Tatra parts suppliers (beware of Chinese knock off parts). I could rant on for hours... they are both cool platforms...depends what you want.

Last edited:

tatra8x8

1985 TATRA 815VT 8X8

1985 TATRA 815VT 8X8

Attachments

• IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5129.jpg
    IMG_5129.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

tatra8x8

another pic showing composting toilet/shower

another pic showing composting toilet/shower

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpg
    IMG_5129.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 19

tatra8x8

I think the real reason to use a Tatra would be it's pressurized drive train and it's massive articulation. It also comes with lockers for all axles. Piloting such a vehicle would require some skill (when to lock the lockers) but the flip side is you have amazing off road capabilities.

Can anyone comment on Unimog vs Tatra as far as off road capabilities?

Possibly different models than mine have a pressurized driveline...my 8x8 1985 ex-mil is not pressurized that I know of. I have seen that option on the military Unimogs to keep water out. I have done a lot of snow plowing with Unimogs..and some offroading...same theory..if you lock the front axle it's hard to steer. I only used it in a hard stuck situation. I would imagine if you tried to force turn on dry pavement either the mog or the tatra you might break something...but the trucks give you feedback...i.e. they tend to want go in a straight line with steering axles locked.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Wow - glad to see someone using a Tatra truck in North America! There is a guy in the Portland OR area with 4 Tatras but last I heard he only had one or two running and none where registered for road use.

The Tatras are amazing vehicles. Similar to a Pinzgauer in that it uses a "backbone" chassis which encloses the main driveline - but different in that it has both a central diff - AND - inter-axles diffs between the two front axles and the two rear axles. So in total there are 7 differentials and each can be locked for true 8x8 wheel drive. The Pinzgauer is only part time 4WD and the rear two axles (in a 6x6) do not have an inter-axle diff so there are only three differentials - all can be locked also.

The pre-WWII designer of Tatras was Hans Ledwinka - his son, Erich Ledwinka, designed the Pinzgauer (as Haflinger) after WWII at Steyr Puch of Austria.

I believe the Tatras can be driven in the USA on a regular drivers license if they are registered as a "Motorhome".

tatra8x8

Hey there, you know the Tatra story then. I am not an expert on the intricacies of US transport rules. I have the equivalent of a class 1 drivers license (tractor-trailer plus the air endorsement). My gross weight is close to 40,000 lbs but the truck would take a lot more weight if I wanted.
It was a bit humorous trying to pilot it through the Range Rover course at Overland Expo.

Attachments

• 18444262_1971084956455742_4090722153463283712_n.jpg
    18444262_1971084956455742_4090722153463283712_n.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

tatra8x8

pics

Attachments

• IMG_5046 (1).jpg
    IMG_5046 (1).jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 18444262_1971084956455742_4090722153463283712_n.jpg