Help with trailer lid gas springs

RichJacot

Observer
I've been searching the forum for a bit and I've been able to locate a few online calculators but none that have the orientation I'm looking for.

Looking at the pic below the hinge is on the right side and the lid will be opening on the left side. The lid is 175 lbs in the closed position and 142 lbs when the lid is opened about 24", which is opened far enough for what I need.

Hopefully someone smarter than I am on this can assist me...

trailer lid.jpg

What I've come up with is two gas springs ABOUT 18" (closed position), 25" (extended position) with a force of 135 lbs.

I'd actually prefer the mount of the gas spring be on the very top of the hinge side but with the lid being so heavy I'm thinking the way I have pictured is a better solution... Thoughts?

Hoghead

Observer
I just used trial and error when I did mine, but I will say that I am using 110 lb struts and I'm just lifting a lid, no tent. I have not idea on the weight of my lid unfortunately, but I don't consider it to be a heavyweight. Also, I mounted mine on the lip of the lid not the top.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Put the struts on the side of the hing, there is no need to obstruct the opening with the struts on that side. If you put the struts on the hing side you will also be able to open the lid more.

RichJacot

Observer
Put the struts on the side of the hing, there is no need to obstruct the opening with the struts on that side. If you put the struts on the hing side you will also be able to open the lid more.

Won't I have to have considerably higher force struts because of the angles?

I'll remeasure some things an see what I come up with.

Thanks!

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
The force will be more, but you can just by the struts for the force you need

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

meatblanket

Adventurer
The force will be more, but you can just by the struts for the force you need

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This. I got it right on my second attempt. First attempt was with 250 lb springs, second with 200 lb springs. My lid weight is similar to yours but the geometry is way different.

Lmg

You need a temporary attachment point on the edge of the lid where you want to attach the top of the lift cylinder. Use a stiff wire hook or something similar. Using a hand held spring type scale or similar weight measuring device attached to the hook, lift the lid from one side and record the max load. Divide load by two and get two cylinders rated for half load, or the next load capacity up.

ShamusTX

Observer

RichJacot

Observer
ShamusTX, That's a great site. Thank you.

The only thing is, I have a full width tailgate and if I mount the shocks on the hinge side, the bottom has to be right up against the top lip of the tub and that site doesn't let me move the mounting points. If it did and then gave me the lbs I need that'd be the cats meow. lol It does give an 800N, for my setup, but the mounting point is 10" from the hinge/edge of the tub.... hmmm

I think I'm going to follow meatblanket's lead and start at the 200lb range.

Thanks guys!

pierceg

My lid, rack and tent weigh in around 350#.
I purchased 26" long, 300# struts.

It was based up on weight coming down, closed length and the height of open lid length.
I can say this, buy once. Dont waste time and money buying the cheapies.
You'll just repurchase the better ones later.

meatblanket

Adventurer
You might consider revising your geometry. Here is a more detailed diagram of my setup. My hinge is at the front of the trailer as my Sankey is wider than an M416.

Gas Spring.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94