Help with trailer lid gas springs

RichJacot

Observer
My problem is I have a full width tailgate so the mounting points need to be on the sides of the tub. I guess the front shock could be mounted inside the front of the tub but I'm thinking it would best to keep the same geometry front and rear. Otherwise there will be twist on the lid every time it's opened and closed I'm thinking.

meatblanket

Adventurer
One end of the strut should be mounted on the hinge side, the other to the lid. Your diagram appears to have the lower end mounted opposite the hinge.

RichJacot

Observer
Ya, the initial diagram is the way I was going to do it. But... after posting it here and the feedback, I thought I'd try the hinge side first.

I have the one end of the shocks mounted about 1/2 down the tub wall on the hinge side and the other end 3-4 inches down from the top of the lid so it has more UP push than away from the hinge push.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I use a board located at the point where I plan to attach the hinges to the lid, and a a bathroom scale underneath to measure the force.

StrutForceCheck_zpsa84fa2a8.jpg

The photo above was taken when the lid was framed but before I added the plywood skin. The scale shows 42 pounds, and I estimated another 25 to account for the 1/4" plywood that would go on later. So two struts of about 35 pounds force each would the bare minimum required to support this cover (this is a lightweight cover design). It would be good to have struts of at least 10 pounds or more higher than the minimum required for practical use.

Plywood on, struts installed, but before the lid was painted:

CoveryAssyDone4_zpsd51097c1.jpg

CoveryAssyDone5_zpsa1a7e383.jpg

I used the same technique to measure the force necessary on my military trailer. Many people put their struts on the latch side of the lid, I put mine on the hinge side so they don't obstruct access to the inside as much.

CoverDone1_zps18bc30c2.jpg

Last edited:

QuadsBC

Adventurer
I believe xj Cherokee rear hatch weighs about 200 lbs, a set of those struts would help open it. One of my friends used them and it worked great.

Last edited:

RichJacot

Observer
I changed my geometry to the non-hinge side and I'm back to the #200 struts. It's a bit hard to start the closing but the RTT has no bedding or the ladder in it yet either. I also hope to attach a couple of 3/4" plywood shelves inside top edge of the lid. I'm thinking I'll be in good shape after that.

Thank you all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles