C10 to K20 Project: The Green Truck

vgreen

Putting the G in RGB
In the rear, it appears 4x4 versions of these trucks get the extra ride height over the 4x2s from the spring hangers. The front rear hangers does appear to be different. The 4x4 is beefier and drops lower from the frame. I'm entertaining a 2 yo at the moment, but I can post pics later.

rayra

Expedition Leader
well would putting hangars from a 3/4 ton on the 1/2 ton wind up giving you a free lift? You'd have to change both end sif you do that, or else your axle would wind up canted the wrong direct. If it were just the trailing end of the rear pair, whoopee.
You could still use the 3/4 on the front, but would need either some custom shackle extensions in the rear to balance it out, or cut and rotate the spring pads on the axle tubes.
All in all just buying a new replacement would be a lot less trouble. Or go scavenge some from a scrapyard.

vgreen

Putting the G in RGB
well would putting hangars from a 3/4 ton on the 1/2 ton wind up giving you a free lift?

It's seems the difference is between 4wd and 2wd. The tall one is from the brown 3/4t 4wd (chassis donor) and the one that needs replacing. The link I found for a new one lists it as replacement for both a k10 and k20, so I assume they are the same between 4x4 1/2t and 3/4t.

In addition, I'm trying to keep the c10 chassis a roller and as complete as possible. Hopefully I can sell it and make some money back. That said, the rear springs on the k20 chassis are shot with cracks in few of the leaves. If I can't find some rear springs that I like for a decent price, I'll end up using​ the c10 springs. They are 56" heavy half springs (the c10 has a 6005lb GVWR, just couple hundred pounds under what the brown k20 has).

So after all that... I'm going to leave the rear axle alone for awhile and concentrate on the front. I already know I'm replacing everything on that end, and I want to concentrate on one end at a time. After Chilliwak recommended them, I looked into BDS 2.5in lift front springs and liked what I found. Although a little hard to find outside of an entire lift kit, they are bit cheaper than Tuff Country springs, have the military roll around the main leaf, and BDS reportedly has great customer service and warranty. I think I'll order those early next week.

I want to thank you guys that have offered help and advice. It really helps me stay motivated on this undertaking!

vgreen

Putting the G in RGB
Grr... I just accidentally deleted the post showing the difference between the spring hangers while trying to edit it on my phone. That's the second time I have done that! I'll repost later, so the thread at least makes a little sense.

vgreen

Putting the G in RGB
Thanks for the research McCustomize, but I am still not sure that is the correct part.

Here are some pics showing the difference:

Izcxaczl.jpg

The hanger from the K20. You can see it's roughly 12in long and drops significantly past the frame. You can also see the rust hole.

IiUC9bOl.jpg

The hanger from the Green Truck/C10. This is harder to see (having a body on the chassis doesn't help), but it is only 9in long and has a different bolt/rivet pattern. If I was smarter, I would have taken these from matching angles.

This is the only part I have found that specifically says k10/k20 and looks correct:
http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/cth733.htm

That is more than was expecting to pay, but at least it is available. I guess I will call some junk yards.

Here is the post I accidentally deleted, which was supposed to slot in right after Mccustomize posted the link from Advanced Auto.

Last edited:

Enginerd

After Chilliwak recommended them, I looked into BDS 2.5in lift front springs and liked what I found. Although a little hard to find outside of an entire lift kit, they are bit cheaper than Tuff Country springs, have the military roll around the main leaf, and BDS reportedly has great customer service and warranty. I think I'll order those early next week.

I'm interested in the BDS front springs too. Can you tell me where only the front springs can be bought, instead of a whole kit? Thanks!

vgreen

Putting the G in RGB
I'm interested in the BDS front springs too. Can you tell me where only the front springs can be bought, instead of a whole kit? Thanks!

The part number for the 2.5in lift springs is BDS 001201. When I Googled that, I found this site that offers just the springs and free shipping. I haven't ordered yet, and can't comment on the seller though!

https://waldoch.com/store/performance/suspension/leaf-coil-springs/bds-leaf-spring-001201.html

Ill update with a buying experience soon because I'm pretty sure I am going to order them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior