Best Aftermarket Seats?

talltroy

The seats in my 97 F250 are absolute trash and destroy my back. I'm looking around for the best seats, and I've heard a good bit about Corbeau. I can also go to a pick'n'pull and grab something different. What seats have you all found that are good for long trips?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
qualitex

I once replaced a beat up Chevy bench seat with a 40-20-40 high back bucket set from Qualitex. Those seats were spectacular, you could easily spend 14 hours in them entirely comfortably. It was about 15 years ago, and I think they are still going strong (truck owned by a friend now) They were about $1000 delivered at the time. Seatbelts were about another $400 to match the seats.

tenoverthenose

I put the Corbeau Baja RS's in my CJ7 and really appreciate them. Comfy, lots of support, and they help smooth out the ride a bit. I've only spent about 3-4 hours in them at a time and never had any problems.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I bought a set of Mastercraft Baja RS Lowback seats about 12 years ago for my '72 F250, and now they're in my '79 Bronco..... still going strong.
Comfortable for long drives, and sturdy. Good support off road, without being difficult to climb into.

https://www.mastercraftsafety.com/mastercraft-baja-rs.html

Mastercraft are very nice. I have some Bestop seats that I really like. They have just enough lateral support without the trapped feeling or kidney pain. Scat procar seats have so much bolstering that you will pizz blood.

DRTYTOY

Observer
I've had the Corbeau Baja RS seats in my tacoma for years - In my opinion they are good for the money - The driver side seat frame did end up breaking but I think it was because the seat slider let it slide too far back and after years of me bouncing around in it, it finally cracked - The side bolsters do make it a bit more difficult getting in and out and you shouldn't have a waist bigger than 40" or you butt won't fit right - I just got a Moab seat to replace my old RS and like it - The Moab doesn't have nearly as big of bolsters and is pretty comforable - My only gripe with it is I wished it sat a couple degrees more verticle - Hope this helps.

DocMike

If you feel like checking out some seats from the local wrecking yard you might want to take a look at a set of factory buckets from a '97 Dodge Dakota. I have a '97 Dakota and a '02 Dakota and I'm thinking about installing the seats from the '97 into my '02. The seats from the '97 are some of the most comfortable factory seats I've ever sat in. They won't compare with aftermarket seats but they won't cost as much either. I have a bad back and these seats have a pretty good amount of lower back support.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
If you feel like checking out some seats from the local wrecking yard you might want to take a look at a set of factory buckets from a '97 Dodge Dakota. I have a '97 Dakota and a '02 Dakota and I'm thinking about installing the seats from the '97 into my '02. The seats from the '97 are some of the most comfortable factory seats I've ever sat in. They won't compare with aftermarket seats but they won't cost as much either. I have a bad back and these seats have a pretty good amount of lower back support.

I have had many a race seat in various rigs. Best swap I had done was newer truck seats out of a wrecked f250 I think it was a Lariet. Race stayle seats are great for keeping you planted in rough road situations or swooping turns. Climbing in and out of the high bolsters can get old in a daily driver. Aslo take into account the possible fabrication you may need to get "race" style seats to fit in a truck to include aftermarket seat belts.

I agree that unless you are willing to pay for a suspension type race seat your best bet is to visit your local pick a part salvage yard. You pay a small fee like $5 to enter the lot and you can freeling roam the yard testing seats. Understand that most seats you find that the drivers side will have more wear than passenger side. There is replacement foam and upholstery kits available for most seats so you will be able to change colors. Do not let wear deter you from a good sitting seat. Check out places like LKQ, Pic-A-Part, Pull-A-Part. LKQ is one of my favorites. They have online vehicle inventory and several within an hour or two drive of me.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I've never found an aftermarket "race seat" that was the least bit comfortable. And getting in over those side bolsters always results in a bruised tailbone, especially in a lifted rig. I'll take a decent OEM seat over a "race seat" every time.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Only $5,300 per. But if you buy 100 of 'em you can get them for $3,000 ea. Such a deal! LOL I know....insane. But the video is impressive.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Some of the gov auction sites have been selling new, in the box, suspension seats for military vehicles, trucks, MARAPS, etc. for a song. Check those out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles