Rear Winch Wiring Opinions

lathamb

Observer
Hi All,
I'm rigging up a winch with a receiver mount for my 4Runner. I don't want a full on bumper, and don't want to carry the weight for the 90% + of the time I'm daily driving. Since it is a receiver mount, I'm looking on how to wire it to use both in the front or the rear (since i do some wheeling solo and like to have the flexibility.)

My question is regarding the wiring. I'm installing a 500 amp continuous duty solenoid and a switch to be able to cut the power to the winch when not in use. For the rear wiring, I'd like to have a permanent install. I have 40' of 2/0 gauge welding cable, and will rig 350 amp Anderson connectors as disconnects, running the ground all the way back to the battery. How have people run heavy wire to the rear? I was thinking initially to route it down the outside of the frame, or possibly the top, inside a loom or other protective cover. I'd like to keep the wire as far away from the exhaust as possible, and avoid the gas tank/lines. But having wire down the outside concerns me in case some road debris reaches up and grabs it.

The other option is just making big jumper cables out of the 2/0 wire and plug that in to the quick connects if i need to move the winch to the rear. I have attached some mock up photos of the wiring. Ignore the sagging, it will be more properly secured. Taking any and all opinions. Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_2597-XL.jpg
    IMG_2597-XL.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2596-XL.jpg
    IMG_2596-XL.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2598-XL.jpg
    IMG_2598-XL.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 31

kb1ejh

I just zip-tied mine along the frame to the rear and didn't worry about it. 19 years later it is still hanging on and haven't had a problem. Off to knock on some wood....
Carl

robert

Expedition Leader
If you're worried about damage why not buy some of that protective wire mesh that slides over the wire then wire tie it to the frame. I usually use a piece of hose, slit lengthwise then secured with wire ties, wherever there is an edge I think could cause issues as well.

Last edited:

lathamb

Observer
The more I think about it the less concerned I get. It would have to be something significant to pop up hang on that wire running the length of the frame, and then I think I'd have other problems to worry about. I can also run it on top of the frame rail for a good portion of the length. Thanks for the input!

Burb One

Adventurer
I have similar size wire and wired mine up on the side of the chassis/ frame and individually wrapped them in split loom conduit, haven't had any problems

Jelorian

Adventurer
Just curious as to why you are running the ground all the way back to the battery. Why not ground to the frame? Saves you from running cable. I've thought about doing something similar as my winch is on a hitch mount as well but to the front.

Burb One

Adventurer
Just curious as to why you are running the ground all the way back to the battery. Why not ground to the frame? Saves you from running cable. I've thought about doing something similar as my winch is on a hitch mount as well but to the front.

Theoretically, as long as your battery is well grounded to the frame, there's no problem doing that as the resistance would be negligibly different. With high amp device like the winch, I like having a dedicated ground line straight to the battery, give the winch as much low resistance power as possible.

Lucky j

Explorer
Theoretically, as long as your battery is well grounded to the frame, there's no problem doing that as the resistance would be negligibly different. With high amp device like the winch, I like having a dedicated ground line straight to the battery, give the winch as much low resistance power as possible.

Yep, and also direct connection to the battery + and - is how winch c pany like warn wants them connected.

I went with along the inside of the frame rail both in nylon mesh cable protector. Sorry, forgot the name. This is what is recomended by bus and train manufacturer for any snake type and harness wires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles