Do you need a carry weapon? [PSA]

fjmario

Adventurer
You may be able to scare of a bear with small arms by firing it into the ground but trying to slow down a bear by shooting it will just piss it off. Even big guns can have a difficult time stopping a bear.

Very aware of that, but some protection is better than no protection right?

Do you guys suggest the MP Shield 9mm that was mentioned previously in this thread?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Glad I found this thread....

Im currently planning a 9 day trip through some remote areas of CA, and possible bear country.
Ive shot guns that belong to friends before but never really had interest in owning one but now im looking into it.

Id like a handgun I can carry in my FJ when im out adventuring. I dont need anything fancy, just something basic thatll stop a sketchy woods hills have eyes type a person, or hopefully scare off/ slow down a bear thats about to attack me.

Any suggestions? Im looking to stay around $300ish

I would definitely carry a small readily accessible handgun if I was in a remote area like you're going. You never know what kind of two or four legged critters you're going to come across that don't have your best interests at heart. I've got an XDs 45 ACP for concealed; a 1911 for when I don't care if you know I'm carrying in the woods. I like guns.

But for bears, you need something big (like 12G slugs, 45-70, or at least a 44 Mag if you want a handgun and not a rifle or shotgun). Better yet, a can of bear spray.

https://www.counterassault.com/ Get the 10.2 oz can with holster (about $42 if you look on Amazon). Don't go cheap with the bear spray.

These are over your $300 limit, but you might be able to find one used.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...agnum-770028-741566010322-75-barrel?a=1808793

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...remington-magnum-55-barrel-6-rounds?a=1791656

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
People have killed bears with 9mm sidearms, just like people have killed deer and slightly bigger ungulates with a .22lr; that doesn't mean either of those calibers are well suited for such purposes. If you're planning on spending extensive time in brown bear country and want something beyond bear spray, I'd look at 10mm as a bare minimum for pistol cartridges. A 12 gauge shotgun or .30 cal or larger rifle would be preferred, if you can accommodate the size and weight.

If we're talking black bear, some spray and maybe a knife should be more than sufficient. Black bear really aren't a problem as long as they know you're there.

fjmario

Adventurer
People have killed bears with 9mm sidearms, just like people have killed deer and slightly bigger ungulates with a .22lr; that doesn't mean either of those calibers are well suited for such purposes. If you're planning on spending extensive time in brown bear country and want something beyond bear spray, I'd look at 10mm as a bare minimum for pistol cartridges. A 12 gauge shotgun or .30 cal or larger rifle would be preferred, if you can accommodate the size and weight.

If we're talking black bear, some spray and maybe a knife should be more than sufficient. Black bear really aren't a problem as long as they know you're there.

Bear Spray will definitely be purchased but I would also feel a little safer with a firearm.
Something large like a rifle or shotgun is out of the question as I plan to keep my gun in secured tuffy box inside my Fj and need to easily store it at home. So I should be looking at a 10mm? Everywhere I look online most guns that fall within my budget are S&W, some Rugers, and other random brands. Is S&W my best bet?

Dalko43

Explorer
Bear Spray will definitely be purchased but I would also feel a little safer with a firearm.
Something large like a rifle or shotgun is out of the question as I plan to keep my gun in secured tuffy box inside my Fj and need to easily store it at home. So I should be looking at a 10mm? Everywhere I look online most guns that fall within my budget are S&W, some Rugers, and other random brands. Is S&W my best bet?

You're going to get all kinds of brand loyalists stirred up with that kind of question.

If you're truck-based, I don't see why a shotgun or rifle is out of the question; the weight and size shouldn't be an issue and you can use an action lock or locked case if you're that worried about the firearm's safety. Hands-down, either of those are much better for dealing with big critters than a pistol; they are both easier to aim and throw much bigger projectiles (on average) at much higher velocities. When people talk about carrying a pistol for bear defense, they're almost always doing so because they weren't able to carry a shotgun or rifle; a pistol is very much a compromise weapon for, well, any sort of self-defense situation.

That said, if you're absolutely dead-set against a rifle or shotgun, go buy a pistol in a caliber that you feel comfortable shooting; the odds of you having to shoot a bear are slim to none. But you should be capable of making consistent shots; if you're going to jerk your shots because you're anticipating the recoil (with something like a 10mm) you'll just miss. Bear spray will be easier to deploy, though it's not foolproof.

And to be honest, unless you're going into some remote part of Canada or Alaska, bear spray, a buddy or two, and some common sense should be all the tools you need to deal with any bear threats.

case

Observer
Anyone have holsters (on body, and mount in truck) recommendations for the M&P Shield 9mm?
If you are looking for off the shelf IWB, Bladetech Nano. For a more versatile IWB/AIWB, although more expensive and with a wait, Dark Star Gear extended length.
For OWB, I like Comptac or Bladetech.

I've owned a Shield in 9mm since they were released. Smooth shooting, generally reliable, easily concealed pistols.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

fjmario

Adventurer
And to be honest, unless you're going into some remote part of Canada or Alaska, bear spray, a buddy or two, and some common sense should be all the tools you need to deal with any bear threats.

Well, I dont plan to go that far north anytime soon but I will be going to remote parts of Northern California by myself.
Its one of those "id rather be safe than sorry" situations.

Dalko43

Explorer
Well, I dont plan to go that far north anytime soon but I will be going to remote parts of Northern California by myself.
Its one of those "id rather be safe than sorry" situations.

I thought you were talking about going into grizzly country. If you're trying to decide what to take into black bear country, you're over-thinking this issue. Bear spray, a knife, a good food storage container, and a loud voice should be all you need. If you really want the peace of mind, throw in a pistol too of whatever caliber you're comfortable with. The chances of you seeing a black bear are slim, the chances of you getting into a deadly confrontation with one, even slimmer. FWIW, I hike and camp in black bear country all the time, and I've even had an aggressive one barge into my camp and steal my food (he could've cared less about me), most of the time with nothing but a small folder knife on me.

If you want to carry a firearm because you're of a mindset of being prepared, go for it; I'll never dissuade someone from responsibly carrying. If you want to carry because you are worried about black bears, I'd say your concerns might be a bit unrealistic; they can and have gone after humans, but they are more easily scared off and most interactions result in them seeing and sniffing you and then quickly running off.

fjmario

Adventurer
If you want to carry a firearm because you're of a mindset of being prepared, go for it; I'll never dissuade someone from responsibly carrying. If you want to carry because you are worried about black bears, I'd say your concerns might be a bit unrealistic; they can and have gone after humans, but they are more easily scared off and most interactions result in them seeing and sniffing you and then quickly running off.

You make a good point about a Black Bear not needing to me scared off but I guess that was just one of my reasons to buy a handgun. I plan to travel a lot more alone and besides larger animals, you never know when youre going to run into one of those "crazy people" haha

Bottom line is, I just want a handgun to carry in my FJ in case of anything but dont need anything fancy (expensive)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You make a good point about a Black Bear not needing to me scared off but I guess that was just one of my reasons to buy a handgun. I plan to travel a lot more alone and besides larger animals, you never know when youre going to run into one of those "crazy people" haha

Bottom line is, I just want a handgun to carry in my FJ in case of anything but dont need anything fancy (expensive)
Something like the shield is a poor choice, unless its use is on humans within 10' max, most would easily miss beyond that range. That being said the problem with bigger handguns is people will not carry them due to size and weight. Really the best is to have both. The small one to conceal in town, and a larger one to carry in the open once outdoors.

fjmario

Adventurer
How much experience do you have shooting firearms?

Not enough experience to know the brands/models but experienced enough to know how to handle a weapon, and hit some targets from a fair distance away. haha

I wish I remember the model of my buddies gun but he taught me how to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together.

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
+1 for responsible carry
For those with S&W Full Size or Shield, I highly recommend the Apex Trigger - it is amazing.
Regarding black bears - like most have said, bear spray. If you are just getting a handgun for that trip - 10mm or .44 magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigBamBoo

Observer
I would HIGHLY suggest you fully understand the gun laws here in CA before you start carrying a firearm. CA is very anti-gun and has some of the craziest laws when it comes to carrying and transporting them.

If you are a resident of one of the northern counties....anything north of Sac...then you should have a pretty good chance of getting CCW and that makes things a bit easier (legally) traveling with a pistol. Again....know the laws.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles