Vehicle camera monitors. Multiplex vs. HD?

geophile

I'm looking at camera systems for my rig and feel like it's coming down to a decision between the two systems from Rear View Safety linked below. The main difference is in the monitors. I'd mount either of them as a replacement for the rearview mirror. One offers full HD (1920x1080p) and four input channels, but no multiplexing. The other offers lower resolution (800x480p) and three input channels with multiplexing. I can live with either three or four input channels, so it comes down to which is more important, resolution or multiplexing. What do you all think? I imagine that my standard use case would be one camera at a time, e.g. backup or approach cam. It might be nice to be able to have dedicated approach cams for each of the front wheels for really technical spotting, but that's a pretty uncommon use case for me. Hmm, maybe I just answered my own question.

1. BACKUP CAMERA SYSTEM WITH 7" REPLACEMENT MIRROR MONITOR RVS-770619N
  2. FULL HD BACKUP CAMERA SYSTEM

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I don't find the rear view mirror an ideal screen location, YMMV. I have rear view cameras in double-din mounts in the center of the console for all my vehicles and it works really well.

HD resolution isn't going to matter for a 7" screen size. A good lens and low light performance will make much more of a difference.

Intelligent switching is more important (IMHO) than multiplexing. I have one of these - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B155G5M

When I use my left turn signal, it shows me the left side camera. When I use my right turn signal, it shows me the right side camera. When I shift into reverse, it shows me the rear view camera.

rayra

Expedition Leader
never knew of the multiplexing thing until now. That's a sechsy idea. I thought it was slick when I got my rear plate -mounted camera and Pioneer AVH280T connected up and working both automatically when I put it in reverse and also manually thru the touchscreen.

ysandco

Rear ViewSAfety camera does all that

never knew of the multiplexing thing until now. That's a sechsy idea. I thought it was slick when I got my rear plate -mounted camera and Pioneer AVH280T connected up and working both automatically when I put it in reverse and also manually thru the touchscreen.

I just saw your reccomendation for the Intelignet switcher and with the Rear view safety camera system you do not need that extra device since they build the camera system with that feature built into the system. I installed that same system RVS-770619N on my sunseeker and it works exactly the way you want it. The system will automatically activate when you go in reverse but you can also ALWAYS see the picture via the monitor. Whats also cool the system can handle upto 3 cameras so I added a passenger side camera to help me with lane changes.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I just saw your reccomendation for the Intelignet switcher and with the Rear view safety camera system you do not need that extra device since they build the camera system with that feature built into the system. I installed that same system RVS-770619N on my sunseeker and it works exactly the way you want it. The system will automatically activate when you go in reverse but you can also ALWAYS see the picture via the monitor. Whats also cool the system can handle upto 3 cameras so I added a passenger side camera to help me with lane changes.

yeah you just need to add the multiplexer.

nastav

Adventurer
Thoughts on this system? https://www.costco.com/1-Backup-Cam...een-by-Rear-View-Safety.product.11526596.html
I have a small trailer that isn't visbale at all in the side or rear view mirror of my jeep.
I would eliminate the factory windshield mount rear view mirror and replace with the 7" monitor.
I can't see anything out the back in the mirror due to spare tire and fuel carrier.
I'd like to be able to have the camera run while driving forward via on/off switch

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
We're pretty impressed with this system, for $200. The cameras seem well-built, the monitor is clear, the cables are plenty long for our medium duty ambulance conversion, and it works really well. You can press a mode button (on either the monitor panel or the included remote control) to select what shows on the screen. You can have all 4 cameras, two in a split screen (which works well for the left-right side cameras), or one camera on top and two split-screen below (so, for example, the rearview on top and the side cameras below). There are 4 selector wires in the harness and powering any one of those makes that camera go full-screen for as long as there's power there. So, you can use your turn signal and reverse wiring to activate the side or rear camera's full-screen mode.

There are two different versions of this kit, it seems. We got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J0RS8UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The kit we got has two cameras in rectangular housings and two (which can be rotated) in rounded housings, for side view use. The other kit has 4 cameras in rectangular housings. All of them have infrared LEDs for low light illumination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke