So... anyone ever break their cab roof?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
There an interior support that is stuck with adhesive that goes across the center of the roof. I have an overhead console that is mounted to it and the front of the roof where the dome light is. Over time the adhesive worked its way loose. I used some construction adhesive to glue it back up, will see how it has done in the morning.

a6Kn2bQoagOWPv9n9S1P-9CJQr93tv9npUl5uz-nLqspX92IB

Decanter

Adventurer
There an interior support that is stuck with adhesive that goes across the center of the roof. I have an overhead console that is mounted to it and the front of the roof where the dome light is. Over time the adhesive worked its way loose. I used some construction adhesive to glue it back up, will see how it has done in the morning.

I have a CB connected in the front to the same panel. I didn't realize that it was a glued panel. It's a roof crossmember panel which would be exposed to a lot of heat due to the fact it's on the roof. Why wouldn't they tack weld it is beyond me.

pugslyyy

I have a CB connected in the front to the same panel. I didn't realize that it was a glued panel. It's a roof crossmember panel which would be exposed to a lot of heat due to the fact it's on the roof. Why wouldn't they tack weld it is beyond me.

I think that for anyone operating inside the design envelope it is not an issue so I don't necessarily fault Mitsubishi for gluing instead of welding - but it is something to be aware of. I would be surprised if any of our friends down under haven't had to deal with this, though.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Why wouldn't they tack weld it is beyond me.

As far as I remember, this is common practice on cars too.
My understanding is that having a flexible membrane between the roof panel and the cross member allows for some flexing in the roof without getting a crease line that is visible on the outside.

pugslyyy

As far as I remember, this is common practice on cars too.
My understanding is that having a flexible membrane between the roof panel and the cross member allows for some flexing in the roof without getting a crease line that is visible on the outside.

yeah it works well in the right application. Unfortunately hanging an overhead console from the crossmember turns it from the right application into the wrong application. :(

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I definitely do not disagree with you.
All I wanted to clarify is why companies do it that way, as the question was asked as to why these cross members are not spot welded.
As is often the case when setting up a vehicle for expedition travel, you need to be aware of the OEM limitations and then cater to, or modify them.

pugslyyy

I continue to find interesting and new ways to break vehicles. Apparently it is a real talent.

gait

Explorer
I suspect its designed to damp vibration rather than be load bearing .....

translated - don't stand in the middle of the cab roof

skippythedog

Observer
Can ya build another?:wings:....If yours rides anything like my FG140...I'm thinking the lip should be 1.5 to 2 inches.....mebbe some kind of tacky rubber pad on the topside too...or little seat belts... :)
Actually, now that I think about it, a little stretchy net material suspended across the length of it work well in conjunction w/ a short lip. Some of the semi trucks have them over their cab shelving...

gait

Explorer
can't see the last three tapatalk images

sikaflex to tie cross bit to roof bit, simson if its likely to get really hot

Bris31

Adventurer
can't see the last three tapatalk images

When there are mixed images (jpg,png,gif), sometime browser doesn't display them correctly (especially known issue with FF).
If another browser shows them correctly then clearing the cache/cookies may help.

pugslyyy

Now you tell me!

That should hold great, looks like you are using the visor mounts and the dome light mounts - those are all welded in. It's the support that goes along the middle (in line with the grab handle above the passenger door) that is glued in place.

gait

Explorer
When there are mixed images (jpg,png,gif), sometime browser doesn't display them correctly (especially known issue with FF).
If another browser shows them correctly then clearing the cache/cookies may help.

ta,

Chrome

"This site can't provide a secure connection"
uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com uses an unsupported protocol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier