12 volt "upcharger"?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Common Sense

i have seen the diodes for the voltage regulator but haven't seen any evidence that they actually work, have you seen any reviews that show them working successfully on a 5th gen 4Runner or other 120 platform vehicle?

and i don't think your view is contrarian, i don't know why a system that could do 14.3V at idle wouldn't be sufficient

People often have the idea that their factory alternator somehow lacks regulation or that a secondary regulator MUST be better. Most of the time, if you have the right voltage, you are done.

I have never played around with add on diodes, but user "Skygear" uses one of these on his Toyota: http://www.mechman.com/voltage-control-modules/

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
People often have the idea that their factory alternator somehow lacks regulation or that a secondary regulator MUST be better. Most of the time, if you have the right voltage, you are done.

I have never played around with add on diodes, but user "Skygear" uses one of these on his Toyota: http://www.mechman.com/voltage-control-modules/

My alternator us functioning correctly, Toyota thinks that voltage is okay. I don't think I understand your point. The point of the diode is to add resistance on the sensing line so the regulator thinks the voltage is lower. My voltage regulator is working correctly, but that is not enough for my non-factory agm battery.

Short of replacing my alternator or using a diode with no reviews what cryptic solution are you hinting at? Can you be more vague please?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Sorry If I Was Not Clear

Sorry, two points:

The first is that your factory alternator is, in fact, regulated to some target voltage. If that voltage is 14v or higher, there is very little advantage to be gained by a B2B.

If it is too low, it may be possible to raise the voltage with something simple like this:
http://www.mechman.com/accessories/voltage-control-modules/adjustable-voltage-boost-module-for-oval-3-pin-toyota/ Assuming a Toyota running at about 13.9v or less, you plug the correct version of one of these: http://www.mechman.com/accessories/...e-voltage-boost-module-for-oval-3-pin-toyota/ and then plug the factory wiring into the adapter. Then, with a screwdriver, adjust until the voltage reaches what you want. (Same idea as playing around with diodes, but easier, if more expensive.)

Is that any better?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
i don't know why a system that could do 14.3V at idle wouldn't be sufficient
Since OP has failed to tell us exactly which AGM he is running, we just don't know for sure what the solution is. For certain batteries, such as the Odyssey 2150, the alternator on most vehicles will not properly charge and maintain the battery because the voltage is too low and the vehicle's charging system does not utilize the optimal charging profile. Hence the need for shore power conditioning chargers or solar with a proper controller.

e60ral

Sorry, two points:

The first is that your factory alternator is, in fact, regulated to some target voltage. If that voltage is 14v or higher, there is very little advantage to be gained by a B2B.

If it is too low, it may be possible to raise the voltage with something simple like this:
http://www.mechman.com/accessories/voltage-control-modules/adjustable-voltage-boost-module-for-oval-3-pin-toyota/ Assuming a Toyota running at about 13.9v or less, you plug the correct version of one of these: http://www.mechman.com/accessories/...e-voltage-boost-module-for-oval-3-pin-toyota/ and then plug the factory wiring into the adapter. Then, with a screwdriver, adjust until the voltage reaches what you want. (Same idea as playing around with diodes, but easier, if more expensive.)

Is that any better?
Thats the diode i referred to, i havent seen anyone use one succesfully on a 5th gen 4Runner but plenty of "did nothing, waste of money" reviews

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Thats the diode i referred to, i havent seen anyone use one succesfully on a 5th gen 4Runner but plenty of "did nothing, waste of money" reviews

Sorry, no personal experience. You are on your own.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

Shouldn't be too tough to compare the schematics of the earlier and later models (looks like only three pins after all), and find out what, if any, the difference is.

e60ral

Shouldn't be too tough to compare the schematics of the earlier and later models (looks like only three pins after all), and find out what, if any, the difference is.
I've found the voltage sensing circuit, i don't see why adding a diode wouldn't work, but the products I've found reviews for didn't work

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I've found the voltage sensing circuit, i don't see why adding a diode wouldn't work, but the products I've found reviews for didn't work

So it could either be something you've missed, or the reviews are full of crap.

Welcome to the internet.

Might be time to pay a pro.

e60ral

So it could either be something you've missed, or the reviews are full of crap.

Welcome to the internet.

Might be time to pay a pro.
Worst case I'll just upgrade the alternator

e60ral

As long as it doesn't have the regulator set to the same voltage as the one you have now. Otherwise, no point.
14.something, common upgrade for people running dual batteries

So far plugging in the on board chargers every few weeks seems to be working well, but I guess it will be at least a couple years before I find out if that wasnt good enough

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
As long as it doesn't have the regulator set to the same voltage as the one you have now.
Also depends on how your vehicle is regulated. On some, the "regulator" is part of the ECM and can't easily be changed, even with the dealer's computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94