Compressor with no tank

fishEH

Explorer
Thoughts on using a Viair(or similar) compressor by itself with tank for filling up tires?
Is it bad to run it for short periods with bo demand for air, basically dead-heading it?
I have a PUMA compressor with 2gal tank. Been thinking about divorcing the two and just mounting the compressor for filling tires, but want to damage it.
I also have a tiny, smaller than a Nalgene bottle size, tank I could plumb into it to run a pressure switch from but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
A lot of compressors come without tanks, but you'd probably want to use a flow through chuck instead of the standard self sealing valve found on most air chucks. Without a flow through chuck I imaging a 12V compressor would build pressure very quickly and damage seals or the motor unless they had some sort of pressure relief valve.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Solution depends on whether you want to use your current compressor or get a new one. The ARB portables come with a pressure switch. The old (discontinued) big Warn compressors came with a pressure switch. I'm pretty sure that some of the current Viairs come with a pressure switch. Probably lots of other choices, too.

fishEH

Explorer
Of course, a free flow Chuck!!! Ya know sometimes the answer is cheap and simple and right in front of your face; it just takes someone pointing it out.
Thanks guys!

I'd like that fancy ARB dual compressor but really can't justify the $500.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I am a big advocate of my Large Smitty Built compressor ($159). It is rated the largest CFM (1/3 H.P. or 5.65 cfm.) than any other compressor in it's class. It is built like a tank too. I am sure a person could hard mount it into a rig, But I like that it is portable and I can easily loan it to another rig to air their tires up while I through my disconnects back on.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I am a big advocate of my Large Smitty Built compressor ($159). It is rated the largest CFM (1/3 H.P. or 5.65 cfm.) than any other compressor in it's class. It is built like a tank too. I am sure a person could hard mount it into a rig, But I like that it is portable and I can easily loan it to another rig to air their tires up while I through my disconnects back on.

I have one of these also. works fine.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have run a PUMA in my 80 series for 10 trouble free years so it was a no=brainer what to use for our LX470. With the LX all I needed/wanted was air and no air tools. So I divorced the factory PUMA set up and went with a 100% live PUMA compressor only with zero controls.

Attachments

• IMG_8737[1].JPG
    IMG_8737[1].JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8741[1].JPG
    IMG_8741[1].JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 34

RoyJ

Adventurer

While it's a nice compressor, the ratings are highly inflated (no pun intended). My buddy has one, and at best it's equal to my Puma (1.3 cfm @ 90 psi).

Puma is best bang for the buck, in terms of performance, duty cycle, and longevity. You get a quality compressor, plus tank, plus regulator, plus industry standard hose fitting, for $230.

The next step up would be the ARB twin or Extremeaire Magnum. Despite similar looks, the Magnum more than double as powerful as the Puma - 2.6 cfm @ 100 psi vs 1.3@90. With double the amp draw...

MOguy

Explorer
My inexpensive little MV-50 has served me well for years. But if you want to run one on a converter this is a portable compressor I use. It is pretty fast but takes 9.5 amps to run. It does have a small tank. I got it on sale at lowes for about $75.00.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fini-1-2-Gallon-Portable-135-PSI-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/50385522

•Includes: one 25-ft air hose and one 25-ft inflation hose
•Use only UL approved grounded 3-prong outlet
•Steel tank construction for strength
•Delivers 135 PSI max pressure and 1.7 SCFM at 90 PSI, ideal for fast compressor recovery time, only 15 seconds
•Premium air hose with industrial quick-connect fittings, ideal for general purpose applications around the worksite
•Built-in inflation hose allows for quick inflation of car and truck tires
•On-board storage for air hose, power cord, and accessories
•Compact size and lightweight is ideal for projects on any level
•Includes 2 year limited warranty

IMG_20170418_162515620.jpg

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
My inexpensive little MV-50 has served me well for years. But if you want to run one on a converter this is a portable compressor I use. It is pretty fast but takes 9.5 amps to run. It does have a small tank. I got it on sale at lowes for about $75.00.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fini-1-2-Gallon-Portable-135-PSI-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/50385522

•Includes: one 25-ft air hose and one 25-ft inflation hose
•Use only UL approved grounded 3-prong outlet
•Steel tank construction for strength
•Delivers 135 PSI max pressure and 1.7 SCFM at 90 PSI, ideal for fast compressor recovery time, only 15 seconds
•Premium air hose with industrial quick-connect fittings, ideal for general purpose applications around the worksite
•Built-in inflation hose allows for quick inflation of car and truck tires
•On-board storage for air hose, power cord, and accessories
•Compact size and lightweight is ideal for projects on any level
•Includes 2 year limited warranty

View attachment 396980

What are you powering with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles