Open Floor Plan Ursa Minor J30 Build - 2015 JKU

Bam2413

Observer
I thought I would start a build thread of my Jeep with soon to be equipped modified Ursa Minor J30. For those of you following Dan Grec on here and over at TheRoadChoseMe.com you know that he had his J30 modified to allow more of an open stand up space similar to westfalia configurations. After coming across Ursa Minors J30 a few years ago I fell in love with the setup and knew I had to have on eventually. Well March 1st of this year I pulled the trigger on one. Shortly after ordering my J30 I started religiously follow Dan and his travels and then decided I had to have the same modification done to my J30. I like the idea of not having to squeeze through the two small hatches to get up into the sleeping area. I recently got a hold of John over at Ursa Minor and expressed my wishes to him. Thankfully due to the manufacture time I they had not started my build yet. John was more than happy to accommodate my wishes and modify my order to the "Road Chose Me Edition."

The only requirement to allow this type of space in a Jeep is to modify the roll cage essentially removing the rear crossbar and going straight back and removing the fastback type bend in the roll cage. I do not trust my welding skills for this type of modification. The only other issue I had with this is we sometimes like to go topless in the summer and I liked the factory fastback look of the roll cage. After examining the roll cage more closely I came up with a way to allow the open space of the J30 with no welding and to minimize the potential of substantially weakening the roll cage. I set out and removed the back seats and carpeting to start my ultimate camping setup.

The goal here is to remove the rear cross bar in this picture. Turns out the cross bar is actually only bolted down to the factory roll cage. The brackets on top are welded to the actual cross member and the bottom brackets (highlighted in red) are welded to the factory roll cage tubing.

brackets quarter.jpg

Closer view of the bracket we will need to cut out so they are not protruding into the open area of the J30
bracket_small.jpg

You an see in this picture the cross bar has been unbolted from the roll cage leaving the two lower brackets that are welded to the roll cage tubing. These lower brackets will need to be removed for the modified J30 install.
bracketsfullback_small.jpg

Cutting the brackets off with a cut off wheel. I had my father do this as I could not bring myself to do it....
cut_small.jpg

Removed lower bracket...
bracketoff_small.jpg

result
tubing_small.jpg
backtubing_small.jpg

After removing these two brackets I put some primer over the area to prepare for paint match...
primer_small.jpg

The next step will be to install a RockHard 4x4 third row cage bar to add the structural integrity back to the roll cage. This setup will allow the modified J30 to be mounted on the Jeep with space to stand up and walk in.
rockhard1.jpg

Attachments

• rockhard2.jpg
    rockhard2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,067
Last edited:

Bam2413

Observer
The other nice thing is the cross member that was removed can be reinstalled by just using the top bolts that were removed at the beginning.
resinstall_small.jpg

I will continue adding pics here of the build as I go!

rubicon91

Explorer
Awesome!! I read your post about getting one designed like Dan's so I am glad to see you are doing a thread on it. Subscribed cannot wait to see more and read more!!!

kenaero

Observer
Bravo on your ingenuity! Or how to do the most with the least amount of work. A quick grind and a bolt on...voila, nearly the same result as Dan's rebuilt roll cage. If he sees this it may be a Homer Simpson moment..DOH!

JDaPP

Adventurer
I am glad to see that works, I was contemplating that exact setup. I have one of the early j30s so it doesn't make sense for me right now. Just for awareness is there a difference in price for this option?

Bam2413

Observer
Yes there is a price difference for this option as it requires a different manufacturing process; different tooling etc. I'd recommend contacting John for exact pricing. I don't want to throw pricing around on here due to the nature of the manufacturing process.

Bam2413

Observer
I got permission from the significant other to burn the midnight oil last night and got some work done!:) The dynamat arrived in the mail yesterday so I was able to get that in the rear of the Jeep. I also roughed out the floor for the back area. I used cardboard to make a template then transferred it onto the wood. Still have a lot of sanding to go and then get it finished. Haven't decided how I am going to have it finished yet.

I also cut up some cardboard to start getting some dimensions down for the interior cabinet setup. These are just boxes so I have a better idea of the scale. Have some plans floating around in my head to use some 12v linear actuators to raise the counters up when the J30 has been deployed. This could include a sink setup that raises up. Some pics for you all.....
1small.jpg
2small.jpg
3small.jpg
4small.jpg
5small.jpg
6small.jpg
7small.jpg

I am expecting the roll cage addition this week.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing the photos and information; I appreciate your effort. Good luck as you work through this interesting project.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Bam,

Wow! I'm really happy to see you have improved on my idea and can make it work with an easier roll bar mod.

I like it very much and can't wait to see the finished product!!
Keep it up.

I wonder if John can put a "The Road Chose Me" sticker on these special builds ;)

-Dan

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Any plans for the floor cubby? Seems like a great place to stash an inverter or other equipment, assuming you have some access to the spot.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Looking forward to seeing this progress. Nothing like cardboard sheets for an idea of scale... I do that all the time for furniture templates when building things for the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles