Open Floor Plan Ursa Minor J30 Build - 2015 JKU

Eagle05

Adventurer
I just installed my J30 a few weeks ago. Really wish I had thought more into this option. After seeing Dan's, the only hold up for me was the roll bar and the rear seat belt attachment. I think this idea would have solved that problem.

I think I may still follow your lead and look into removing the cross bar as I've whacked my head a few times already and would love to move it back out of the way.

Thanks for posting and I'm excited to see it completed.

AeroMoto

How long did it take to put down the Dynamat? And did you do just the rear, or the whole Jeep? And how much did you use?

Bam2413

Observer
Hey Bam,

Wow! I'm really happy to see you have improved on my idea and can make it work with an easier roll bar mod.

I like it very much and can't wait to see the finished product!!
Keep it up.

I wonder if John can put a "The Road Chose Me" sticker on these special builds ;)

-Dan

I definitely plan on putting your sticker on there!

There are many pros and cons to both builds. For instance my sliding rear windows will be slightly more obstructed than your design.

Bam2413

Observer
Any plans for the floor cubby? Seems like a great place to stash an inverter or other equipment, assuming you have some access to the spot.

I plan on making a hinged cover for the floor cubby to gain access. That's a great idea for an inverter!

How long did it take to put down the Dynamat? And did you do just the rear, or the whole Jeep? And how much did you use?

The dynamat took me a few hours. So far I have just done the rear tub. I will be putting it down all the way to the front seat.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I definitely plan on putting your sticker on there!

There are many pros and cons to both builds. For instance my sliding rear windows will be slightly more obstructed than your design.

The main reason I wanted to get rid of the "diagonal" bar was so I can do stuff like this without leaning on the bar.

IMG_8991.jpg

I have a ton more room when I move the wooden bed slats out of the way from behind me (I put them up on the bed above the drivers seat.

It's been really nice to be able to sit inside when the mosquitoes are horrendous, or it's thumping rain.

-Dan

Bam2413

Observer
I agree that would be a huge plus! It will be interesting to see when I get everything installed how intrusive the bar is. I am planning on doing all the benches in fiberglass maybe I could come up with some type of fiberglass seat back that would bolt up to the bar.

My plan for the sleeping area spanning the aisle is to use the same type of wood slat platform that is used above.

Bam2413

Observer
Third row roll bar came today....got it mounted in the jeep. I will be removing it within the next few days to paint match everything. Looks like it will work perfect for this application.
rollbar1.jpg

I also started roughing out the bench master out of foam. I am using foam because I dont trust my woodworking skills for this project! Polyester resin would normally melt this type of foam so it will need to be coated with a product called Styrosafe before the resin is applied. Again this is super rough just for sizing purposes, still have hours of sanding to round the corners off and clean it all up before it is sprayed and then primed with a high build primer. I put a piece of foam to act as a back rest. Still undecided if I will incorporate this into the mold or just have the bench with storage inside....

Photo Apr 27, 10 16 45 PM.jpg

To something to this effect hopefully when finished. I will have cabinet doors on the front for storage.
Photo Apr 27, 10 24 17 PM.jpg

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 161

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Nice work Bam!

I tried hard to minimize the size of the isle for maximum storage space, and to be honest if I did it again, I would make it even smaller!

-Dan

Bam2413

Observer
Nice work Bam!

I tried hard to minimize the size of the isle for maximum storage space, and to be honest if I did it again, I would make it even smaller!

-Dan

I appreciate the input, it is very helpful during my build. Also enjoyed your interview the other night, glad it went off without a hitch.

Bam2413

Observer
J30 Arrived Yesterday

All I can say is wow. I am just amazed at the craftsmanship by John and his team! The j30 turned out perfect. Hoping to get time this weekend to update you all with some pictures......stay turned!

Septu

Explorer
The other nice thing is the cross member that was removed can be reinstalled by just using the top bolts that were removed at the beginning.
View attachment 396123

I will continue adding pics here of the build as I go!

Love this idea. You get the options that come with keeping the stock setup (different roof options and accessories), but still can easily convert the rear to accommodate the modified J30. My only complaint would be where to store the 10lb C02 bottle. Saw that the J30 arrived. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Last edited:

erstwild

I'm planning on doing a similar camper build on an unlimited myself. Out of curiosity, does anyone here know if the rear crossbar can be similarly unbolted on the new JL? I might be content to just leave the brackets on to avoid voiding the warranty and use the rockhard 3rd row sport bar myself, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles