Robin the Fzj80

SeaCruiser

Hi all. I've been on here for a little while, and have a thread going over on ih8mud (the link for that), but thought it was time I make one here. Robin is an unlocked 1996 Fzj80 with about 210,000 miles on the odo. I got it at about 190,000 miles two years ago from a family friend who had put the ARB bumper on it and removed the running boards. Bonus: it never had the OEM roof rack installed!

Current Mods:
-CDL switch
-Rigid DOT fog lights
-Embedded an aux back up light in the rear bumper
-LED marker, license plate, and interior lights, red map light
-Wet Okole seat covers for the front seats
-Uniden 520xl with a 4' Wilson flex antenna on a Yodateq mount at the back
-Blue Sea fuse block & dual USB charging port
-Rear sleeping platform
-Spare tire mod (to tuck it farther up)
-Painted tow hooks
-Rally Armor universal mud flaps (saving the stock ones from damage)
-Snorkle
-Breather extensions
-BFG 265/75/16 KO2s

Future Mods:
-OME stock height springs and shocks
-Oil catch can
-HIR 9011 high beams
-12v plugs in rear cargo area (anderson)
-HAM radio
-Mounted air compressor

(The guy in blue is DMSKI, he has a great Xterra build over in the Nissan section.)

SeaCruiser

With the spare tucked up and somewhat out of the way, My friend @dmskii and I decided to get in a quick one night trip and actually explore the Umptanum ridge area. Pretty mild stuff, fairly easy, rocky dirt roads, that made for some nice drives with a view.

And then... this happened...

Coming up over the ridge (after the cell towers that are up there), I heard a clunking and scraping noise. We pulled over on the first flat section we found and my friend and I ended up spending a few hours at the side of the trail figuring out what was wrong and fixing it.

Turned out the spindle/hub nut (the big 54mm ones), had decided to come loose. So I was glad this happened at 5 mph and not at 70 on I90, and we had cell service/internet. So up came the FSM and we got it fixed. Gave my friend a chance to use his new portable impact gun on the lug nuts. Also, fun fact, when a 54mm socket is not available, a medium sized set of plies can be wedged between the bolt and the studs, and the hub can be used to rotate it (Not our proudest moment, but it got me home, and to the store for a 54mm socket). We got it all put together just at sunset, wheeled to our campsite, and then headed home the next day.

Once I got back I torn into the hub again to inspect and re tighten everything to spec. it all looked good. I think the tabs on the lock ring had not been properly bent down or something had not been set to spec.

The last few updates I've done are get the Thule rack back on and put HIR 9011 bulbs from Candlepower in the high beams. I haven't been able to test them but should this weekend. Cue some Expo eye candy:

[

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I like this 80! Something nice about a tan interior with a red exterior...oh! And an ARB bumper:sombrero:

SeaCruiser

Thank you! And as to the spindle nut kit, it is on my list for the next time I plan on getting into the hub.

SeaCruiser

Update

So, another update dump. Since it's summer the cruiser is getting used more and changed less. A quick roundup of the things done:

-Painted and bolted up the hitch and put the spare back under the rig, leveled so its up and out of the way.
-Found out two plastic boxes fit perfectly under the rear platform, one for tools and spares one for the kitchen kit. Both have subsequently been taken out since we have favored using a tent. I had forgot how much space is back there without the platform, its been much more usable around town. The platform can go in when needed.
-Blacked out the emblems because I'm not a drug dealer (it had the 'Gold Package' and thats all I could think of when I saw them).
-Spent like $15 at the hardware store and made some limb risers. They work well and are an easy on and off for when they are needed.
-Got a Yakima Rocketbox for some more storage. Used it for the Oregon honeymoon and it is great. we can have a whole campsite stored, and locked, up there, making it really easy to set up camp.
-Recently put in two constant hot outlets in the back. One is a Blue Sea 12v plug for the fridge and the like, the other is a trolling motor plug rated to 60amps for the air compressor.
-In true Mud fashion, I put in a disco cup holder. I didn't realize how much I'd use it.

Recently we have done a few trips, but nothing to crazy. My wife and I went on our honey moon through Bend and the Oregon Coast, got on a few dirt roads, but mostly pavement. We've also done a lot of camping. This last weekend we did our first solo trip up Fortune Creek Trail to Galagher Head Lake. While we were up there NFS closed the trail because of the Jolly Mountain Fire. We found out that evening so we stayed the night and were the last out in the morning. Not the best feeling camping 3.5 miles from a forest fire. I think the fire has hit that area and I hope it doesn't do too much damage. Also ran into a beautiful blue 40 series and another 80 (in burgandy no less) on the way up!

Anyway, on with the photos!

Below is the Drawer system I had (now removed) and the outlets:

Fortune Creek, there were so many bugs!:

SeaCruiser

The last two weekends we got out and enjoyed a little snow at Jack's Pass and explored the other side (Index-Galena Road). Found some cool camp spots, met some neat people, then washed the rig for the week. Nothing crazy, but nice to get out after a hectic couple weeks. Also tightened the steering box adjustment screw a tad to take up some slack, which made a small but nice difference.

Ghost Cabins and Snowy Passes-7
by Nick, on Flickr

Dmski

Adventurer
Hey didn't realize you were updating this as often as you are! Glad to see some of the photos from those last few trips. We have to go find some snow!

SeaCruiser

Fresh Snow in Washington!

As per @Dmski's post above, we found snow... :)

The Stevens Pass area got a bunch of snow this weekend, so Dmski (Blue XTerra ), his club buddy (Green Xterra) and I got out and enjoyed the fresh snow and a little snowshoeing. We ran into a first gen XTerra at the top that had gotten stuck and they camped the night (that was their plan anyway, but just not there). I needed chains for the last little bit around their SUV and Dmski needed a pull off some slick snow, but we were able to get them out and on their way and do some snowshoeing.

The new hood and tailgate struts I put in made a huge difference in the cold, but other than making sure the fluids are all topped off the only change has been the shorter CB antenna (so I can finally park in some garages).

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Was a great time getting stuck in the snow! Although this does show I may need new tires...

Last edited:

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Love Steven’s Pass. Last time I was there to ski, which was early, I was the last vehicle they let through. Epic ski day with only a few people all day day. Mid day they opened up the roads again. Driving down to Seattle, the traffic was stacked for miles.

SeaCruiser

Finally got a post thaw trip in up to stampede pass. Made it a ways in until we hit a swift moving water crossing, and got stuck some. In all a good run. Fun with the Hella 500s on, which truthfully are mainly for the classic look and some extra light. The re-built platform in the back did really well, no squeaks.

Also played recovery duty for two Xterras (which there might be a chance the cruiser had to get a tug too). The green one is on 35" M/Ts and fully locked. the 'puddle' ended up being deeper than thought.

Stampede_0518-1 by Nick, on Flickr

I've dialed back on the build ideas a little since this is my DD. I'm aiming to get OME stock heigh lift springs in to start replacing the tired suspension, and finally get the trail gear spindle lock nuts on, probably with new bearings. I think I can hear them starting to act up. I recently re-tightened the hub nuts that had loosened again, and replaced the hub studs with new ARP ones. and touched up the hubs with some new undercarriage paint. Ill follow up on that in the next post.

Dmski

Adventurer
Great shots! Should have added the photo of the Xterra pulling you out:p Excellent day out in the mud!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles