New Air Hose?

FJOE

Regular Dude
All-
I am running a Viair 300P, and it has the stock air hose, which is plastic. Every time I stretch it out, I feel like it's going to snap. I want something more substantial, but don't want 50ft of big rubber commercial hose. also, if getting an aftermarket hose, I will need a new chuck as well correct? The Viair hose is 25ft, and has the built in gauge/chuck for tire filling. Suggestions?

B

BPD53

Without seeing your current hose I cannot comment if you need a new chuck or not. I am using a Kobalt brand "premium" rubber hose and I like it so far. It is easy to roll up and easier to repair if it becomes damaged.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Premium-Rubber-Air-Hose-Field-Repairable/50126459

It is much smaller (maybe half) than my previous hose I took from my garage. It is pretty small for 50 feet. I like the length because I can reach my trailer tires without unhitching the truck. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Navy_Seabee

All-
I am running a Viair 300P, and it has the stock air hose, which is plastic. Every time I stretch it out, I feel like it's going to snap. I want something more substantial, but don't want 50ft of big rubber commercial hose. also, if getting an aftermarket hose, I will need a new chuck as well correct? The Viair hose is 25ft, and has the built in gauge/chuck for tire filling. Suggestions?
Have you considered running a 1/4" rubber hose in 25ft. length? Will still fit standard air chucks but it's like having a little whip of a hose compared to a 3/8 shop hose. A lot of mechanics will put 3-4 feet of 1/4" hose off the end of air tools so they aren't so unwieldy.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The hose on the larger compressors is reinforced and coated with vynil. It's a lot more durable than the plastic hose that you have.
They all seem to have special fittings that won't match up to off the shelf hoses and fittings unless you get very creative. I use this hose with an outback extream chuck. The coiled hose is a good part and have been using mine for 10 years. The chuck and guage are junk. https://www.4wd.com/Air-Compressors...tl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_pDetail_productSpecs

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
3/8 hose is overkill on a Viair 300P (I have one). I now have OBA on my truck, and I carry a pair of 25', quality, 1/4" polyurethane hoses (FlexEel, but there are lots of others including the Husky from Home Depot). The hoses are compact, easy to coil and store and will move more air than the 300P can produce. Two hoses gives me some redundancy and I can always connect them if I need extra length. A patch connector and a couple of hose clamps don't take much space. Wipe them down with something like ArmorAll to make them easier to handle.

dumprat

Adventurer
Go get some trailer air brake lines off a highway tractor. Use one for short runs and both for bigger runs. Good quality quick connects are a must.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Viair 0029. It fits my need, will still fit in the compressor bag, and doesn't require buying parts/open chucks, etc. Plug and play. For as little use as my compressor sees, it's perfect.

Navy_Seabee

Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Viair 0029. It fits my need, will still fit in the compressor bag, and doesn't require buying parts/open chucks, etc. Plug and play. For as little use as my compressor sees, it's perfect.
Glad you found something that fit the bill. Definitely a lot of good ideas out there. I took note for some future purchases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne